This Is Your Life

I don’t mind either way, but surprising the guest is the most important part… the “sting” as Mel called it in an interview.
I don’t think these days people would tune in without promotion. I’m sure 7 is just trying to attract more viewers by announcing who the guest is.

I just caught the opener at the end of the news, and even Thorpey was like ‘wtf? Me?’

Lmao.

It may have been a surprise for him at the time
As has been the trend for years now, nothing is live

I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about the surprise of us watching at home. (Those who are watching).

I’ve no doubt it was a ‘surprise’ for Thorpe.

1 Like

Because they want viewers to watch. The issue is for shows like this, now it either gets leaked or people won’t have the incentive to tune into shows without knowing who it’s about.

Just the way tv is these days sadly.

3 Likes

At least Merrick and Rosso have come out of their “feud” to be on the show tonight…

The show has been okay so far. But not as polished as the Mike Munro version on Nine. Will see if the episodes do get better after the Comm Games (like having shorter-run episodes, and less of the band!).

In previous versions of the show, were some guests on the show for a few seconds like tonight? Surfer Layne Beachley and Thorpe’s niece and nephews were on it in a blink and you’ll miss them…

Plus several other similar posts from the POV of a former producer of the show.

I missed the beginning, but did Jimmy Barnes talk to Ian Thorpe? If not, why is he singing at the end of the show, to promote some CD?

Also note: Finishing time of this is 8.45pm. Running time 105 minutes. Original show s 60 minutes.

Half an hour when it was on 9.

1 Like

oh, my bad.

Then… yikes. So this was 3.5 times the length of the original? Sigh…

Once again, 7 have taken a great show and managed to destroy it.

1 Like

And no theme :frowning: it doesn’t seem as “grand” despite the big set.

The pacing and backing music is missing too

And no book to read from throughout the show…

2 Likes

Yes it’s different to the original but I still enjoyed it, but that’s just my opinion. Lots of positive comments online.

1 Like

Few notes:

• This is Your Life perfectly suits Mel Doyle - she did a great job steering the show and asking questions.

• Both the live band (which didn’t enhance the program) and Jimmy Barnes’ performances were unnecessary. Unless a performer has a direct and relevant connection to the guest of honour, there’s no need for there to be performances to bulk up the program.

• Am in two minds about the program’s format. On one hand, the traditional chronological retelling of the guest of honour’s life gave Nine’s iteration of This is Your Life a natural structure (particularly when it comes to incorporating guests) - something tonight’s program didn’t have at all. On the other hand, such a format probably wouldn’t work for a 90+ minute iteration of the program. Additionally, not having the chronological format unconstrains the program in terms of what it can focus on.

• Regarding revealing the identity of the guest of honour before the program, we live in an age where networks need to convince viewers to watch a program rather than hope they’ll take a chance on a program. All keeping who the guest of honour will be a secret does is turn away potential viewers.

• It was odd that Mel had the famous red book with her on set but it was never used when it really should have.

• When it comes to guests, the old adage of “less is more” comes to mind. Tonight’s program would have benefited from having more time for fewer guests rather than having little time for some guests in order to fit more guests in.

You could have made the same argument about a lot of guests of honour who featured on Nine’s iteration of the program. The nature of This is Your Life means more times than not, the guest of honour will still have many years and decades ahead of them.

6 Likes

Yeah 3 things from me:

1. It needs to be read from the big red book.
  2. Ditch the live band. Bring back the classic theme in a 2022 remix and stop with the generic production music. Put the live band fee/budget towards a reimagining of the theme song.
  3. They need to bring back the “voice” guessing part as well. That was a nice touch in the old series.

Sure, evolve the wheel, but don’t reinvent it. It’s a constant Seven problem, wanting to make their own idea of a “classic format” and leave a mark where they just destroy it.

1 Like

Wow. Did that not even happen tonight?

It gets worse.

Just watching the show on Catch up now. They definitely did the voice thing, at least with Grant Hackett.

4 Likes

Yes it did. Several times. Mel just didn’t say, “can you guess this voice?”

3 Likes

The show did well ranking as the top entertainment show for the night with an average of 655,000 over the 90 minutes. The show ranked 6th in the key demos.

2 Likes