The Wrong Girl

Yeah I completely agree with you in terms of ‘The Breakfast Bar’ characters- really clichéd and shallow. Quite different from the other characters.

###Dramatic Walk Out On The Wrong Girl.

Wednesday, 19 October at 8.40pm

In a highly emotional and dramatic episode of TEN’s new hit Australian drama The Wrong Girl, The Breakfast Bar co-host Erica Jones (Madeleine West) [spoiler]comes out live on air, revealing to viewers and her colleagues that she is happily engaged to a woman.

During a panel discussion on The Breakfast Bar, co-host Eric Albrectson (Craig McLachlan) offends Erica with his comments about same-sex parenting, suggesting that children who grow up with same-sex parents are disadvantaged. The discussion quickly escalates and Erica storms off set.

The on-air crisis happens during Lily’s (Jessica Marais) first show as Supervising Producer and she is charged with consoling a livid Erica in the green room. Persuading Erica to return to set and speak freely about her own personal circumstances, Erica later proudly reveals that she is involved in a loving relationship with a woman.

Madeleine West, who plays Erica Jones, said: “Erica can match wit as naturally as she matches heels and handbags, but perhaps more importantly, she is unafraid to stand up for what she believes in. She expresses her right to love whom she chooses to love, despite the effect such a revelation may have.

“I hope this storyline provokes discussion because, at the end of the day, it deals with the denial of a simple, basic right: the right to officially commit to the person you love,” she said.

[/spoiler]

This probably should be counted as a spoiler

3 Likes

Agreed. I’m disappointed that I read it and the shock value will be gone now.

There is also a full article in The Daily Telegraph today, in which Madeleine discusses the storyline in tonight’s episode.

Edited to hide content.

2 Likes

Or this Ernie Award winner?
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/aus.tv/o8WsT0lthC8

Last night’s walk-off on the Breakfast Bar, so reminded me of Channel 10’s former breakfast show Breakfast and hosts Paul Henry and Kathryn Robinson.

Wednesday night’s episode was very well done- quite a step above the prior 3. The show finally reached beyond its often shallow drama and hit new dimensions with the issues it tackled.

1 Like

except that would never happen. they would have cut to a break or the host would have waited for the break to walk off and make a scene if they were professional and it would not have been praised by the big wigs. I guess in a fantasy world though you can write anything.

Didn’t a similar thing happen a while ago when Lisa Wilkinson walked off the set and didn’t return for the rest of the show? It led to rumours of a rift with Karl but it had more to do with the producer or content.

Yeah off air, gossip sites reported on it. I wonder if that was their inspiration?

Quite possible. The host of The Breakfast Bar is a gold logie winner. :wink:

I noticed that lol they might as well just called him Karl. Why couldn’t they take the piss out of Kochie or that Kiwi bloke they hired?

I’d say Eric is a composite of all of them.

1 Like

This show finally grabbed me this week. The episode was very funny. I just fear it took too long for the show to hit its stride…some viewers won’t be back…

1 Like

###Zoë Foster Blake Debuts In The Wrong Girl.

Wednesday, 2 November At 8.40pm. On TEN And WIN Network.

In this Wednesday’s episode of The Wrong Girl, author and associate producer Zoë Foster Blake makes her first cameo appearance.

Zoë’s character, an enthusiastic intern, will cross paths with Jessica Marais’ character Lily and Zoe’s real life husband Hamish Blake, who plays The Breakfast Bar’s television weatherman.

Zoë said: “I asked the writers if I could play an extra on set one day, as a bit of a meta-Easter egg for readers of the book, and they did!

“I didn’t think it would be a speaking role, and it wasn’t until I was on set with the crew and proper real life actors like Jess Marais that I got nervous. As you’ll see, the role is tiny, but it was so much fun and such an honour.”

The television series The Wrong Girl has been adapted from Zoë’s best-selling novel, The Wrong Girl.

Zoë said: “I honestly feel like a competition winner that my novel could be made into something for television and it really has evolved into something quite different and masterfully done.”

“I have come in very much with a sense of excitement and delight at every point. I was very much happy to hand over the book and let them do what they do best.”

The Wrong Girl is for anyone who has diligently played by the rules, only to realise everyone else is playing a different game.

1 Like

Despite the large amount of free publicity the Wrong Girl receives from MSM, this show still struggles to find an audience. Too many gimmicks, bells & whistles galore, but not much substance.

It’s improving as it goes along. Sometimes it takes a while for a show to hit its stride and I think it’s getting there now. Problem is that the audience might not know about it.

1 Like

Luckily it’s on Ten, so it may get time to grow an audience. Other networks would probably cut their losses. Still, I think Ten needs to get away from these chick-lit series it’s obsessed with, and try something more mainstream.