The Wall

I’ve actually enjoyed it too, got into it after the first ep (took a while to understand everything). Though I generally catch-up via Plus7. Fast paced and exciting, good seeing a game show in proper prime-time too. Axle is bland and flat though and the contestants need more to do, rather than just running around screaming at the wall, which does absolutely nothing.

2 Likes

The wall is OK, but begins to get tedious after a while.
Short seasons are a good idea.

The sameness gets to you after a few episodes:-

• Axel’s banter is scripted and unnatural.
  • When he says “drop it” the balls should drop immediately - not two camera shots later.
  • Even the women’s dresses are colour coded - all dresses are off the red/orange palate.
  • The male half of a mixed team always goes into isolation - perhaps they should toss a coin to see who goes into isolation.
  • I wish Axel would stop saying “that’s OK” when a green ball drops into a $1 slot - it’s not OK, it’s the worst result possible on a green ball.
  • The holding hands, deep and meaningful exchange at the end, is icky and very repetitive from episode to episode.
  • The minimum prize offer at the end is often too generous to pass up for most people, with about 4 out of 5 contracts being signed. Takes the sting out of the tail of the show

It would be a great half hour show.

7 Likes

I reckon Seven will renew it, I mean it’s performed a lot better than heaps of other programming this year, first ep near 1m.

But will need to take all criticisms on board, tweak some things.

1 Like

My wife didn’t get into it but I enjoyed it, but I definitely think it should be shorter and agree with all the points made. I’m one that loves quiz shows but hate getting to know the battler stories and the fluff etc… That’s the main reason I choose The Chase over Hotseat, there’s a lot more questions asked in less time.

3 Likes

These are all good points. I will add:

1. When the ball lands in the $1 slot he always says ‘all money is good money’ or ‘still in the positive’. I mean technically that is true but its repetitive.
  2. He keeps saying if you use numbers 1 2 and 3 that is if you are less confident on the answer and 4 5 and 6 as the chances increase if you are confident. So many times though they pick 2 or 3 and it drifts over.
  3. The contestants are obviously coached to speak like idiots. When they put the white ball into the slot they say things like ‘ok ball I want you to go to one million’ It just seems so contrived.
  4. It all seems overly emotional ‘I trust you’ ‘I love you, you are a great father, you have always been there for the kids, you work so hard, I have loved you from the moment I met you’. In the end its a game show, they can win more money on Deal or No Deal or Hot Seat on some occasions and they aren’t that over the top.
  5. Finally, I am not saying its rigged but it just seems VERY unlucky. The green balls always seem to land in the cheap slots and the red balls seem to land in the big money. They seem to tear up on the contract at the wrong time. The latter is obviously the contestants fault but out of 6 episodes not one couple has ‘won’. They either won nothing OR they won less than they could have if they had of teared up or signed the contract. 0 out of 6. Hmmmm
3 Likes

From David Knox on TV Tonight with Seven Programmer, Angus Ross;

“The Wall won’t be coming back”

Not surprising. It stank.

Really? Didn’t it usually rate just under 1m?

1 Like

Dropped to 630,000 after a few weeks.

1 Like

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed it (even if it wasn’t great). Maybe it was because there wasn’t much else on against it in Q4?

I even caught up via Plus7 :joy:

1 Like

I didn’t watch one episode but to be honest I dont watch much on seven.

it was good, just needed to be tighter…30 mins would have been good

3 Likes

And get a new host. Simon Reeve would be a good choice.

1 Like

Let it die. We don’t have to roll out Simon Reeves to host another weak game show on Seven.

1 Like

Simon Reeve was/is a great host for It’s Academic.

The other game shows he’s fronted over the years…not so much.

5 Likes

Agreed.