The Voice

So it’s pink now?

2 Likes

Using footage from the US version?

The Mariah Carey rumours were discussed on Kyle and Jackie O and their newsreader Brooklyn, who I guess is a close friend of Michael Pell, confirmed on-air that Pell ‘swore him to secrecy’ but told him they were wrapping up final negotiations with Mariah.

That probably doesn’t mean much - these deals always fall through even at the last stages if a party’s unhappy about pay, dates, etc.

One thing which brings down her cost is the scheduling - American Idol was a much longer show which goes on for several months. Judging by 7’s announcements, they probably want to film the entire season within a couple weeks, so if they offered her $4-5 mil that might be an enticing deal.

Funnily enough, I found a 2015 interview that Mariah did with Kyle and Jackie O where she said American Idol was the ‘worst experience in my life’ :rofl:

1 Like

It’s fine to have a ‘marquee signing’ on shows like Idol/Got Talent where they’re only part of a judging panel, but does it really work for The Voice? If they’re splashing out big bucks for Mariah but still wanting to keep the budget down, I’m guessing the other 3 coaches will be local (and much less expensive).

At least with Guy/Delta/George/Kelly they were such a diverse panel and probably equally well-known in Australia (obviously George and Kelly are famous worldwide but admittedly past their hey-days. I would say nearly everyone in Australia knows who Delta and Guy are too).

Wouldn’t everyone want to pick Mariah as their coach? Mariah can still book world tours and score No. 1’s on the chart, so I can’t imagine many contestants passing over the opportunity to work with her.

I guess Seven could make it into a ‘bit’ where everyone chooses Mariah, but it’ll be interesting to see who ends up on the coaching panel.

1 Like

I’ve seen that Michael Pell and Jennifer Fontaine have recently followed each other on Instagram. Obviously we now know Pell will be producing The Voice for Seven, but Jennifer Fontaine is Guy’s manager.

This could mean absolutely nothing, but possibly those two are in discussions about signing Guy back on as a coach? That would also confirm rumours from SMH and Daily Telegraph about Seven wanting to re-sign Guy but negotiations falling through with Delta

2 Likes

Not since the 90s. The recycled Christmas song doesn’t count.

Perhaps they are offering to have her stay in the US to do the series.

His ‘close friend’ told him to keep it a secret, but then he goes on radio and spills. I don’t buy it. More like Pell’s way of trying to drum up some talk about a less than stellar performer of a show.

4 Likes

2005*

And given her song dominates that Christmas period, it’s tough to say she doesn’t have a presence.

Certainly more relevant than Boy George

1 Like

Which also went #1 last year on Billboard and in Australia the year before.

2 Likes

The point is she hasn’t been able to produce a new hit in over 15 years.

1 Like

Well aren’t you lucky you can buy her new album ‘The Rarities’ tomorrow full of hits from the vault going all the way back to her debut. You’re welcome.

1 Like

Great. I love music from the olden days. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Me too.

Specious reasoning. She’s one of the biggest hit makers the pop charts have known. And She’s had an Australian top ten more recently than Kelly Rowland (even excluding AIWFCIY).

4 Likes

I don’t think the song caused that. Her real life antics did.

Hmmm I don’t reckon Seven would be that lenient - it’s one thing to do virtual finals where the coaches are only giving critiques, but the blinds rely on the chemistry between the coaching panel.

They had to heavily edit the episodes where Kelly and George appeared via satellite, as there were obviously delays. Can you imagine how awkward the banter would be between the coaches and all the delayed reactions :sweat_smile:

I think they’ll definitely give Mariah enough incentives to come here (ie. first class travel, staying at a mansion) but I’m not sure if she would be willing to do a 14-day quarantine if that still exists next year

1 Like

If the Masked Singer has taught us anything doing this virtually is possible.

I did think that was a bit fishy… Kyle and Jackie both called him out on that, but Brooklyn’s reasoning was that the story had already been published on Sydney Morning Herald

The article stated that Seven were rumoured to be in finals talks with Mariah but I think most people (including K+J) rubbished the story until Brooklyn confirmed that Pell told him the same thing)

So, Sonia in 2021 is on The Voice, Holey Moley, Big Brother, the Olympics - and possibly an AGT judge. Wow!

1 Like