The Voice

If you count their salaries plus the travel expenses and mansions they rent out for the internationals, it could be true.

2 Likes

Shorter duration means less time the judging talent are required.

Generally with the talent contract there isn’t a salary as such, its just a cash component if any and the timing of payments are always negotiated for example Kyle Sandilands has already been paid for the AGT Finals which he has not even filmed.

A change in judges I do not think will alienate die hard fans, but the same panel will not bring many new viewers.

I really think the first challenge is going to be finding enough talent to compete. AGT has been pretty aggressive to line up strong singers. Unless they go with a full celebrity version of sorts.

Another article - hopefully keeping the journalists in a job. This one written by News’s “Finance editor”.

Well if that is true it is way too much! I am not doubting they do work but its a few days of filming for blinds and another 2-3 days filming after.

Nine’s statement about The Voice is bitchy:

After the Chris Sebastian controversy, 9 probably predicted a viewer audience backlash next season.

As if it was that controversial. It was the viewers who voted for him, so why would there be backlash?

1 Like

I have a question for any TV insiders/people in the know - I know a big incentive for international coaches is most likely that their travel/accommodation is paid for by Nine, but are the coaches individual crews paid from their own pockets or does Nine cover that too?

I noticed this year that all the coaches (and even the hosts) had their own stylists, hair & make-up artists, and even photographers - if Nine is covering the cost of all these people no wonder it costs $11 mill in total - why is there a need for 6 different photographers if they’re pretty much all in the studio together?

Channel 9 never told us the exact percentage of votes, but they did say the difference between 1st and 2nd place was less than 1%.

If it was a really close call between all 4 finalists (eg. Chris won by less than 30%) then the ‘backlash’ probably is from the 60-70% who voted for the other 3 saying it’s unfair that the coach’s brother won.

2 Likes

Seven’s making The Voice sound like a really profitable ‘coup’ for them, but I think they’re getting ahead of themselves.

We know that Nine was paying around $20 million for The Voice format rights - Nine walked away probably intending to renegotiate at a lower cost, and now Seven has swooped in.
How can Seven lower the budget to $15-$20 million if they’re most likely already paying $20 million for the rights?

2 Likes

I don’t think they are paying 20 million for the rights. I think nine has probably asked for a cheaper price, seven have offered a bit more and that’s where it has gone.

Mediaweek were saying that Nine paid $20 mill to secure the rights in 2012, but I’m unsure if that value is over a couple of years and if it’s decreased now.

It’s also funny how many media outlets are praising Seven for securing The Voice whilst I found this article by Crikey which was, to say the least, scathing.

4 Likes

Yeah but they didn’t want to pay that again. So seven could have offered less than 20 mill but more than what nine was going to offer for next year.

Hardly scathing. Just realistic.

1 Like

Not sure how credible that crikey article is.

Some print media journalists would have us believe Nine losing The Voice is a triumph for Seven. But the move suggests that House Rules will not be with us in 2021, and the millions spent on it will go to produce The Voice.

It is a cost cut in disguise.

I’m pretty sure everyone assumed House Rules was not returning before the news about The Voice. and if replacing HR with The Voice is a cost cut then it is definitely a triumph for 7.

And that is a bad thing in what way exactly? House Rules was already dead this year and renewing it would be insanity.

1 Like

Yep all I’m saying is realistically I doubt Seven can cut the budget down to $15-$20 million. They’ve probably had to pay that alone just for the rights

1 Like

I can’t say I was shocked when Seven said they’re not renewing MKR, but I’m a bit surprised that House Rules isn’t returning either. Basically they’re cutting the 2 shows they created themselves because they underperformed this year

But Nine might have offered $10M so seven offered $11M.

2 Likes