The Voice

Alfie Arcuri’s first album Zenith did better in the ARIA charts than his debut single. Zenith entered the albums chart at #5 this week.

Interesting interview with former host Darren McMullen on TV Tonight. He says one of the reasons he quit The Voice after four seasons was:

I couldn’t watch any more kids getting their heart broken because they thought their dreams were over. It’s not the kind of television I watch.

Yet in it’s second week dropped to #24 and third week #37. In comparison Delta Goodrem’s album is still int he top 10 after 2 months.

That’s the problem with so many talent shows. It gives people false hope and very few have any sort of success in the long run. I genuinely feel sorry for winners of The Voice these days because they seem to have close to zero impact after the show.

2 Likes

McMullen must be a slow learner - it only took him 4 years to realise that the Voice was exploitative.
He back-tracks a lot in that interview when he is reminded that his new show, which looks crap BTW, is produced by Shine Endemol.

2 Likes

If you were a past contestant on The Voice that got a least same name recognition you would be pissed that Channel Nine are using Nat Conway’s Everybody’s Free in the ads promoting their line up for the rest of the year. She was a contestant on The X Factor last year and came sixth. It is even one of those ads which acknowledges the song.

2 Likes

News Corp reports Delta Goodrem will return as judge next year to defend her title (she actually confirmed it on Jono and Ben on TV3 New Zealand last week), but the Madden Brothers and Ronan Keating are unlikely to join her.

SEAL RETURNS TO DEFEND HIS CROWN ON THE VOICE

He has sold over 30 million records, won four Grammys, three Brit Awards – and in 2017, music superstar Seal will return to Australia to defend his title of the most successful Coach on The Voice.

After guiding 2012 and 2013 winners Karise Eden and Harrison Craig to victory, Seal will be back for season six of The Voice with his sights set on unearthing Australia’s next vocal star.

“I cannot wait to return to The Voice to claim back my title. I am hugely looking forward to finding some new Australian talent. Bring on 2017!” said Seal.

Battling it out with Seal will be Australia’s very own superstar Coach, Delta Goodrem, returning for her sixth series after leading Alfie Arcuri to victory on The Voice 2016.

Delta has had a blockbuster year herself, releasing her fifth studio album, Wings of the Wild, which debuted at No. 1 on the iTunes and national ARIA charts, with the album peaking within the top five spot in five countries and the top 20 in another nine countries. Delta is currently playing to sold-out arenas across Australia on her Wings of the Wild tour.

Delta said: “I can’t wait to be back with my Voice family for season six. It’s always been such a passion of mine to find and nurture Australian talent on the platform this incredible show provides. A huge welcome back to my friend Seal. Here’s to a great season.”

Nine’s Sonia Kruger will return as host of The Voice in 2017. Who will join Delta and Seal in the big red chairs? Stay tuned for more announcements soon.

The Voice is produced by ITV Australia on behalf of Channel Nine.

:weary:

2 Likes

Wow. And I thought it was bad enough that Seal is coming back!

2 Likes

Seal’s return has not received a very favourable reaction. Is it going to be as bad as Mel B returning to The X Factor?

Seal returns to the Voice as Channel Nine reveal programming for 2017
NINE execs clearly have a short memory.

Three years after Brit singer Seal publicly took to Twitter to state he “can’t wait” to leave the country, the network is giving him a second chance.

As this year’s season of The Voice failed to make its mark, Nine has announced Seal’s return to the judging panel alongside Delta Goodrem with the other two panellists yet to be revealed.

the daily telegraph

I wonder how nervous Nine are about The Voice next year given its ratings weren’t outstanding this year and now seeing how bad TXF is doing.

1 Like

The Sunday Telegraph print edition is reporting that Boy George could join the show next year as a judge and is in talks with Nine. Boy George was also a judge on the UK version this year.

UPDATE 7/12: Nine tweeted tonight that the new judge would be revealed on Today on Thursday morning. Boy George is in Sydney for the AACTA Awards, so that increases the possibility he is the choice.

2 Likes

Your correct it is Boy George it was announced on Today this morning .

1 Like

I’m sure that’s joel madden

1 Like

BOY GEORGE JOINS THE VOICE

Boy George, universally acclaimed as one of the most influential artists in music, is joining The Voice Australia in 2017.

A vocalist, producer, author, DJ and frontman of hit group Culture Club, Boy George will join global recording artists Seal and Delta Goodrem as a Coach on season six of Australia’s Logie Award-winning, most outstanding entertainment program.

Boy George’s career spans more than 30 years, accumulating worldwide sales in excess of 150 million albums and singles, both as a singer and songwriter with Culture Club and as a solo artist in his own right. The Grammy Award nominee has created a worldwide presence that transcends age, race, colour, nationality and even religion.

Touring the globe extensively throughout his career, Boy George recently played a string of sellout shows in Australia with Culture Club, and to keep up with demand he has returned to our shores for another national tour, cementing his popularity down under.

“I am super excited to be doing The Voice in Australia, because I know they can take a bit of banter and I won’t be holding back. The UK season was a warm-up and I am ready to sprinkle some pop-tastic glitter dust all over the show,” Boy George said.

Boy George is no stranger to The Voice, having occupied a red chair in season five of the UK version alongside fellow Coaches Will.i.am, Paloma Faith and Ricky Wilson.

1 Like

What a boring panel so far. I find Seal draining and I’m not sure how Boy George will be but he doesn’t come across as mega appealing to me. I am glad Delta is returning as at least she adds a bit of personality to the panel and is usually pretty fun and bubbly, but they need an interesting fourth judge or this is going to be awful.

According today’s SMH, Seven’s mini-series on Olivia Newton-John will only have a one-month shoot so that Delta (who plays the title role) can return in mid January for the new season of The Voice. Which I find to be strange given the first blind auditions do not start until mid February. Unless Delta needs time to rest between the ONJ miniseries and The Voice?

The article probably has a lot of facts/dates wrong and also on most shows there is a lot of work behind the scenes that happens prior to filming. I’m pretty sure she’s doing House Husbands as well? Big year for Delta.

Filming for the next season of House Husbands was done this year. If it gets another season and she’s still in it, then it won’t film again until the second half of 2017.