The Voice

From memory, I do think they were saying a shorter season, but could be wrong. Currently on Nine, they already do 10 episodes of blind auditions and the last week always seems like filler material

2 Likes

They said it was going to be quicker.

Yep and that probably means shorter season - The Voice was 21 episodes this year, so I don’t see how they’re going to drag out the blind auditions, semi-finals, and final to 21 episodes

Wonder if Nine will revive Australian Idol now or is that as expensive as The Voice?

1 Like

No, thanks.

1 Like

in my Google News, I’ve heard that Nine couldn’t get to an agreement with The Voice and apparently Seven is buying the rights.

1 Like

Based on what Hugh Marks was saying in his announcement and what we now know about The Voice deal with 7 (apparently signed on Friday), it looks as though this came as a surprise to Channel Nine too.

I’m guessing they were wanting to renegotiate at a lower cost, thinking that none of the other networks would sign the format rights.

2 Likes

Of course, Channel Nine is saying that the show was their ‘poorest financial performer’, but judging from what Marks’s words last week, everything was still up-in-the-air and they hadn’t made any decisions to axe it yet.

2 Likes

Not “apparently” but definitely. Just check the last 50 million comments in this thread since this morning. :wink:

6 Likes

Somehow I can imagine a particular ex-member and a prominent Seven spokesperson on this forum cheering at the prospect of Seven airing The Voice next year.

2 Likes

I’ve seen that Seven is planning to slash the budget for The Voice to $15-$20 million (compared to Nine’s supposed $40 mill) - I hope it doesn’t bring down the quality of the production.

The selection of coaches will be interesting - if they’re reducing costs it’ll be harder to bring any international coaches (I’m pretty sure Nine would have spent about $5 mill total on the 4 coaches + 2 hosts this year)

1 Like

Just get Aussie coaches and that will keep the costs down. Masterchef was able to rejuvenate itself with new faces so Seven have the potential with The Voice.

I’m all for Aussie coaches who are mainstream and popular as it also helps the local arts industry. International coaches usually don’t add too much and is a financial liability anyway. When they got Joe Jonas in 2018 The Voice pretty much suffered that year against its competition.

For my dream coach lineup it would be: Ricki-Lee, Dami Im, Nat Bass and Guy Sebastian (who is probably the only coach I’d keep from the Nine version because he’s quite likeable and quite a good coach in general). A much more down to earth line-up in comparison to the cringefest on Nine.

1 Like

Does anyone know whether Fox Studios will be available for TV shows next year? I know Thor postponed production so they might be occupying Fox Studios again in 2021.

Nine bought a warehouse and built a studio in Moorebank solely for The Voice this year - I wonder if they’d be willing to sell/rent it out to Seven or if they’ll be spiteful/plan to use it themselves.
That would be a big cost if Seven have to find a studio - though I did hear that they still plan to film in Sydney so perhaps they’ve already found a location.

I believe it was ITV Studios who bought and built the studio, not Nine. So it would still be available.

I think the trouble with thinking Masterchef’s revamp can be replicated on other shows is that part of its success was due to the All-Stars component. Having their most famous contestants appear back on the show made viewers tune in, and then obviously most viewers decided to watch the entire season because we enjoyed the judging panel (Melissa mostly, the other 2 were okay).

Simple, Seven could bring back the favourite contestants/all-stars from The Voice on Nine for next year…oh wait.

4 Likes

international travel restrictions could be with us for quite some time, so it may not be logistically possible anyway

3 Likes

Hahaha yep exactly! Though in saying that, the All-Stars format over the past 2 years has been quite successful for Nine- it felt quite organic in 2019 but this year was terrible (The Voice Armenia winner, America’s Got Talent semi-finalist, coach’s brother winning the show) so I don’t necessarily think Seven will continue with All-Stars

Nicole Kidman’s TV series is currently filming in Byron Bay and there’s a few in the cast who aren’t Aus citizens (Melissa McCarthy and Luke Evans to name a few), but I get what you mean.

To be honest, I also think international artists would be reluctant to come to Aus to film the show (especially if it’s on a low salary).

Are you thinking what I’m thinking?

Yes, Rob Brough must be there!

1 Like