The Traitors

I’m not a fan of the host choice.

He’s known for his acting roles but have you seen him host anything before?

I just think it’s very safe. Just another white male.

Well, who do you suggest?

1 Like

I’m not paid to be creative nor do I have a list of those that applied to be a host.

Just qualified to whinge. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s that safe given he’s an actor who’s an unknown quantity as a host.

Osher would have been a safe bet but they didn’t go with him.

3 Likes

And it sounds like the contestants are like actors playing a role so an actor would be a suitable host for this type of show.

2 Likes

There are plenty of Australian actors who aren’t male nor white.

I’m all for diversity on Australian screens but we haven’t even seen Rodger in this role yet so it’s probably best if he gets a shot and see how he goes.

Plus the other actors may not suit the role even if they’re the best actors in the world.

1 Like

I wasn’t judging him in the role though. I am judging 10s creativity when coming to selecting the role.

it’s not their job to be creative, it’s their job to fill a vacancy with (a) someone who can do the task, (b) is going to be known enough to be able to draw in viewers and (c) be available.

And who knows how many auditions they had to go through before finding a candidate. Just because someone is a “name” doesn’t mean they didn’t have to jump through hoops to get the gig.

I’m all for diversity but if the default setting is “anyone but a white male” then that’s not diversity.

3 Likes

It would just be nice if one of 10s reality formats was fronted by someone who wasn’t a white male…

Like Melissa Leong who fronts Masterchef? Or Julia Morris on I’m A Celebrity?

Both have white males to assist them because clearly people don’t think a woman can do it alone.

Yet shows like the bachelor. Survivor and the amazing race have solo white male hosts.

I don’t think your comment is fair. In both cases the formats lend themselves to multiple hosts. In the UK, I’m A Celeb has two white male hosts. My recollection (though I may stand to be corrected) is that UK MasterChef also has two white male hosts. In both cases, Australia has opted for a more diverse line-up, including a female of Asian background.

Ten has also had solo female hosts for past franchises like Big Brother, The Biggest Loser, So You Think You Can Dance, Changing Rooms, Everybody Dance Now and a female co-host (of Lebanese descent) on Making It Australia.

So while I don’t disagree with your broader point that there should be greater diversity on TV, to say that Ten has always leaned towards white male hosts or that females are not trusted on their own for reality formats is not fair.

2 Likes

All are great signs of diversity from 10 that happened either over 10 years ago or close to 10 years go bar 1.

You even look at have you been paying attention that is fronted by 3 white men (yes they rotate 2 women in each week but it’s not equal). Yet New Zealand can have the show fronted by 2 women. Even the are you lying show has 1 female host but 2 white male comedians anchoring each team.

Ignoring and making excuses doesn’t help the problem. We need more diversity and in 2022 there is no excuse for the lack of diversity from 10. It’s time management put in specific quotas they must fill.

:roll_eyes:

Er, Sam Pang is not white. He’s clearly of Asian heritage.

1 Like

Didn’t know Sam Pang was a white male.