The TEF Gang

I think this is the issue I’m having with mine, barely holds a connection with the whip antenna as a result.

I might order one of those replacement parts and see how I go at trying a repair (bearing in mind I am not at all electronically-minded). It’s got to be cheaper than ordering a whole new radio.

3 Likes

I am aware that AM radio performance isn’t great on these TEF. Has anyone tried this one?

The 3D Shell is made of resin rather than metal? I may become part of the family for this TEF thread.

2 Likes

I find AM on my Silver TEF ain’t to bad
On par with a car stereo

Oh great do you have the TEF6686? I think part of the issue is it doesn’t have an internal ferrite rod aerial.

Certainly do :grin:

Have got my webserver up and running
http://124.176.10.30:8080/

8 Likes

Thanks for that. Working well at this end. BTW noticed you can get 102.5 Breeze from Biggenden but not Rebel 106.7. Unless Breeze is from Tenterfield?

2 Likes

Also no Triple M from Fraser Coast 103.5 but Hit is there.101.9. Perhaps the antenna length favours the longer wavelengths.

1 Like

Nice I logged in as well… I don’t want to compete with changing channels :slight_smile:

That’s really neat! I gotta look into setting up one of these!

5 Likes

I did get 103.5 fade up with the Shrieking Cockatoo (Jimmy Barnes), probably As involved. There is a tutorial on YT that explains how to set up a node.

1 Like

Great to see so many local webservers up and running. The TEF radios are a good entry point, and probably even good enough if you’re only wanting to run the server for a few hours here and there.

For something more permanent (and frees up your portable radio to be used as a portable radio), the TEF6686 modules can be found on AliExpress for around $25.
Arduino Nano clones on AliExpress or eBay for around $5-8.
And a computer running Windows, or a (old) laptop, or for even lower power consumption, a Raspberry Pi running Linux.

2 Likes

Unfortunately not working this morning - there is some enhancement about in SEQ - Breeze/Rebel WB into Brisbane; Crow FM etc. Might have been interesting.

1 Like

yeah had the tef out and about with me, will be on shortly

4 Likes

Took nearly 3 months and 2 orders later (eBay proving more reliable than AliExpress in the end), finally joined the club!

6 Likes

Congratulations! They are fantastic radios… you’ll be amazed what you can pick up on these compared to any other FM radio.

4 Likes

Compared to an SDR at around the same cost, the TEF receive craps all over it.

3 Likes

Just in case it can tempt anybody in NZ to set a TEF webserver up, NZ data has been added to the FMDX maps. NZL - FM-DX Maps (fmdx.pl)

This should mean the transmitter info will appear locally, but also if received by sporadic E/tropo of course.

Again thanks to the RDS list, I also updated some entries from my own scans I did late last year, and added the relevant PI codes to network sites that are unknown at least as a placeholder. Base data source is the NZ Radio Spectrum Management data.

4 Likes

I’ll post this here too. This is the TEF6686 module, connected to the Arduino Nano clone, connected to the Raspberry Pi 3B.

Total power consumption while running the TEF Websever is just 4.1W, which is why it can run 24/7.

20240607_

5 Likes

Awesome! It’s a fantastic remote site and I noted some new features added, probably late this past week. :clap:

Also for those accessing TEF remote sites there’s now another Melbourne based remotely accessible TEF based in the Williamstown region of Melbourne.
One now needs to zoom into the Melbourne area from the map to independently access either TEF site.

4 Likes