The Summit

What it’s it with 9 and their obsession with red glossy 3D fonts in their graphic design of promos? Looks shit.

2 Likes

Premieres Sunday 14 May.

1 Like

THE SUMMIT

WHERE GETTING TO THE TOP IS ONLY HALF THE BATTLE

PREMIERING SUNDAY, MAY 14 AT 7.00PM ON
CHANNEL 9 AND 9NOW

Getting to the top is only half the battle in The Summit, the brand new action-adventure series premiering Sunday, May 14, at 7.00pm on Channel 9 and 9Now.

With a setting like no other amid the picturesque mountains of New Zealand’s South Island, 14 strangers, people from all walks of life, will embark on an unforgettable experience: to try and win $1 million, equally divided between them, as they carry the cash to the top of one of New Zealand’s highest peaks.

The Summit is a thrilling game of trust, greed and betrayal where morals will be tested, physical limits pushed to breaking point and bonds forged and broken, hosted by Australian actor and Hollywood star, Jai Courtney.

The contestants will have to work as a team through dangerous, rugged terrain, encounter wild weather and adrenaline-charged obstacles to reach the summit of a distant mountain in 14 days to take home the prizemoney.

But if a trekker falters and gets left behind, so does their share of the money, reducing the size of the cash pot. And if the group fails to reach the summit in time, all the prizemoney will be lost.

There will be brutal twists along the way – like opportunities to steal someone’s money if a trekker is seen as a weak link, and add it to the prize pot for the remaining trekkers.

How much money will be lost and stolen? And who in the group will risk the trekkers not making it to the top of the mountain in time?

Jai Courtney said: “You are going to see people physically, mentally and emotionally tested. You’ll see bonds made and broken. We will get a real look at how far people are willing to push themselves and push each other, and see how their resilience is tested. I think it’ll be inspiring, a little heartbreaking, and action-packed.”

As the old saying goes, be kind to the people on your way up, because on this adventure you never know who you might meet on the way down.

Meet the 14 trekkers taking part in The Summit:

1 Like

Spotted two sporting names in the contestant profiles: former Carlton and Fremantle player Alex Silvagni, and former champion aerial skier Jacqui Cooper.

2 Likes

Seems to me that an early date announcement by Nine is an attempt to claim the Sunday night for their adventure franchise, potentially making Seven schedule Million Dollar Island for another night of the week with Blow Up for Sundays.

1 Like
1 Like

Alex Silvagni promo

A sneak peek of the first episode was shown during Lego Masters tonight.

1 Like
1 Like

The first episode is available to watch on 9Now. Definitely worth it.

1 Like

I watched this and was 50/50 on it. Some things I liked, some things that I didn’t.

This show reminds me way too much of The Bridge. 14 days to build a bridge, with temptation along the way and in the end only one person gets the money (or chooses to share it). This is basically that but instead of building a bridge, it’s hiking a mountain. They even had a helicopter dropping things exactly like things were shot out for them to retrieve in the Bridge. The one difference is they’ve then inserted some Survivor style vote outs in there. So a bit of a mesh of shows.

So the concept I’m 50/50 on. Seems like it will be a bit gimicky with twists added along the way. The cast was good though and if the episode was reduced by 30 minutes (2 hour premiere was way too long) it would have been much better. There felt like a lot of filler and it moved at a slow pace in parts.

So I’m keen to keep watching to see where this goes.

Wonder if a lot watched on bvod in advance and overnight, instead of last night’s broadcast perhaps?

After enjoying the launch episode, started to dislike aspects of the show now. Strongly disliked the ending of the second ep where the three were forced to reveal the message they got plus the elimination will not be shown until the next episode. And the preview sort of spoils who isn’t voted out. There doesn’t seem to be any consistency or rules, things are so arbitrary. Lat night finished at least 10 min after schedule.

1 Like

Yeah this is my problem. I don’t like shows that feel like they are made up as they go, or they implement random twists here and there that benefit or disadvantage others.

They also advertised the show as $1M up for grabs but then they forced someone out in the first episode. So that money was never in contention. It should have only been if someone quit between checkpoints that they lost the money. Not lose money from a forced disposed contestant by the producers.

Then with this immunity - why are they revealing it before the vote? It would have been more fun if it was kept secret (like the note said) and everyone turned on Sam. Then have him survive and still be there would have been an interesting dynamic, as well as someone else leaving unexpectedly that the others voted for.

Also some of this casting was obviously intentional to have someone drop off early. An unfit 60 year old was never going to last more than a few days. Casting otherwise is pretty good though. Sam is very good eye candy so I hope he stays a bit longer.

This show has potential, it’s just certain things need to be done better / ironed out.

2 Likes

Last night was pretty much another producer forced contestant removal to reduce the prize kitty. Another case of making up the rules as they go.

How many episodes is this season? It feels like we would be almost half way as I think they only have 8 days remaining.

It is supposed to be 14 days to reach The Summit and we are up to day 6.

So is this only meant to be a 2-week ‘event-series’?

I wonder which show is coming up next? Parental Guidance? Nine’s lineup for the rest of the year looks pretty bare apart from The Block.

It is being promoted as an event series (more like non-event).

Parental Guidance is ready to go and being promoted as coming soon (aka this year).

3 Likes

They are advertising Parental Guidance pretty heavily during The Summit so I assume that will come after.

I’m guessing If the first week covered 6 days, then the second week will cover a simialr timeframe. Leave 1-2 episodes for the following week.

Former Olympian Jacqui Cooper was eliminated in last night’s episode.

Didn’t realise she was a former Olympian :wink:

1 Like