The Secrets She Keeps

Did the BBC pick this one up?

Yes they did.

It’s good for 10 that other networks are still buying the show as they share in the profits of this.

Hopefully this will see them continue to invest in quality drama series.

I finished watching this today. And it was fantastic. Honestly one of the best Australian dramas I have watched. Is there any way they would consider a second series?

As the drama closely follows Michael Robotham’s original novel, a second series will need a brand new storyline.
However, the ratings success could lead to 10 adapting Robotham’s other novels.

It’s a mini-series. The story is over.

Well I felt they could have kept the story going with the ‘letters’ sent at the end of the series.

The Secrets She Keeps premieres on BBC1 on Monday, July 6 at 9pm, a huge feat for an Australian drama. This was originally set to air for multichannel BBC Four.

According to BBC media centre website, the series will air from 9pm to 9.45pm with no ads. All six episodes will be available for streaming on iPlayer on the same night.

2 Likes

Wow primetime in the UK. I don’t think an Australian Drama has done that since Wentworth?

I’m expecting more Australian drama to broadcast on UK TV in the coming months. I believe most local productions are still yet to commence.

1 Like

10 should be very proud

1 Like

BBC has the rights to Five Bedrooms too, has that aired over there yet?

It did in March. I guess that article is inaccurate because they’re just unaware of other Aussie shows that have screened on BBC One.

From Wikipedia:

Five Bedrooms was shown on BBC One from 10 March 2020, and was the fifth Australian drama to be broadcast on the BBC after Out of the Blue, The Doctor Blake Mysteries, A Place to Call Home and 800 Words since the broadcasting rights of Neighbours went to Channel 5 in 2008.

2 Likes

With the two stars of The Secrets She Keeps both living in London (Jessica de Gouw and Laura Carmichael), I think the BBC will ask them to help promote the drama.

Wentworth’s first four seasons were shown on Channel 5 in Britain on Monday nights. Following declining ratings, from season 5 onwards it has been on sister station 5STAR.

ABC drama The Heights is currently on BBC1 at 1.45pm weekdays.

1 Like

All of those screened in the afternoon time slot. Not in primetime on BBC1.

Fair enough. I thought Five Bedrooms was in prime time.

No, it was broadcast in the Afternoon. As stated, the only Australian Drama to recently play in primetime was Wentworth, which was on Channel 5.

I think it was more common in the 80s for Aussie Drama to screen in primetime. I think The Flying Doctors and Prisoner may have done so.

1 Like

The BBC are giving the show a really big push - this is what you see at the moment when you visit the iPlayer’s home page:

For context, the iPlayer has done this for other ‘big’ shows over the last few months like Killing Eve and Glow Up

4 Likes

Reviews for the BBC broadcast of episode 1 have come in.

The Guardian gave it 3 out of 5 stars.
The Daily Telegraph only gave the episode 2 out of 5 stars.

Also:

1 Like

I would have to agree with the reviews. Everything was pretty obvious from the very first episode.

It did manage to become the BBC’s highest rating Monday drama of 2020

3 Likes

If you can see it coming, it isn’t a twist.

Was it intended as such? (I haven’t seen this, or read the book it’s based on, if there is on, so I’ve no idea, which is why I’m asking).