The Real Love Boat

CBS And Network 10 Announce Series Orders For The New Dating Adventure Show The Real Love Boat.

Inspired By The Classic Hit Scripted Series The Love Boat, The New Reality Romance Series Sets Sail On Princess Cruises In The U.S. And Australia In 2022.

U.S. network CBS and Network 10 announced today they have ordered localised versions of The Real Love Boat , a reality dating competition series inspired by The Love Boat , the hit 1970s scripted series that used Princess Cruises ships as its setting.

Production begins soon, and both versions are expected to air in the U.S. and Australia later this year.

The Love Boat IP is owned by CBS Studios which, along with CBS and Network 10, are Paramount Global brands.

“ The Love Boat is a timeless, romantic concept with universal appeal, and we’re excited to reimagine this popular series for audiences in two different countries,” said George Cheeks, president and chief executive officer of CBS, and head of global content strategy for Paramount’s free-to-air networks, including Network 10.

“On the heels of NCIS: SYDNEY , today’s announcement is another example of our global franchise strategy to use our rich intellectual property and vast international footprint to develop new content for viewers around the world.”

The Real Love Boat brings singles together to cruise the Mediterranean on a luxury cruise ship while looking for love. Destination dates, challenges and surprise singles will test the couples’ compatibility and chemistry. Like the beloved original scripted series, the indispensable crew members including “captain” and “cruise director” will play pivotal roles in the matchmaking and navigation of the romantic (and sometimes turbulent) waters ahead.

After almost a month at sea, only one winning couple will make it to the final port and take home a cash prize plus a once-in-a-lifetime trip courtesy of Princess Cruises, the series’ exclusive cruise line partner.

Beverley McGarvey, executive vice president and chief content officer of Paramount Australia and New Zealand, said, “ The Love Boat was synonymous with exotic locations, glamour, excitement and of course romantic connections underpinned by wonderful comic tales.

“ The Real Love Boat will encompass all of this and more. A dating show showcasing suspense, exhilaration, humour and love as it sets sail for romantic adventures.”

“Audiences really connected with the fun and escapism of The Love Boat ,” said Mitch Graham, senior vice president, alternative programming, CBS. “The iconic series embodied the many possibilities of people making new, meaningful connections. Reimagining it as a dating show with competition, adventure and romance makes The Real Love Boat an ideal fit for our schedule and viewers.”

“ The Love Boat has been synonymous with the Princess brand for more than 45 years since the world was introduced to glamour and elegance of the Princess experience,” said John Padgett, president of Princess Cruises. "We look forward to millions coming aboard our iconic ships as we are expecting you on The Real Love Boat .”

CBS and Network 10 are casting for their local versions.

Click HERE for Network 10 casting information.

The Real Love Boat is produced by Eureka Productions in association with Buster Productions. Chris Culvenor, Paul Franklin, and Wes Dening serve as executive producers for Eureka.

A little odd and risky this is happening now with COVID, the cruiseliner industry is only just starting to resume.

One more major outbreak causing the industry to suspend again and this will surely sink like a stone.

1 Like

More dating nonsense. What’s the obsession with this shit. First Dates, Bachelor franchise and now this shit. Surely it’s an 8:30 time slot.

Whilst it’s not the direction or investment I’d want for 10, at least it’s new Australian content.

2 Likes

I think we’re looking at 10 succession planning for Bach’s impending cancellation in Aus given the franchises wane in recent years.

Have seen the casting notice a fair bit the last few weeks appearing in my social feeds, thought it might’ve been for a streamer or 9.

Sounds like an interesting concept, not sure if it’s for me, but more content is better than less I guess.

Filming between 1 - 27 June this year.

1 Like

My thought exactly. This is just a cruise ship version of Love Island which is unbearable already.

1 Like

My first thought when I saw the press release was that this show would replace The Bachelorette later this year.

Probably easy to sell to advertisers

According to Sunday Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne, Darren McMullen is strongly tipped to be the host of The Real Love Boat.
Filming is due to start in the Mediterranean this month.

Darren confirmed, Daniel Doody from Studio 10 to feature which would explain why he’s been missing in action.

Meet The Cupid Crew Of The Real Love Boat

The Real Love Boat. Coming Soon To 10 And 10 Play.

All aboard the romantic voyage of a lifetime!

Stepping on board The Real Love Boat is host Darren McMullen, Cruise Director Hannah Ferrier, Head of Entertainment Daniel Doody, and Princess Cruises’ Captain Paolo Arrigo.

The Real Love Boat ’s all-star crew will lead a group of Australia’s most eligible singles, as they set sail across the Mediterranean looking to find their perfect match, throwing the occasional buoy out to those that get stuck in the murky waters of love.

Leading the charge is accomplished host Darren McMullen, who will guide our group of singles through the perils of modern dating.

Darren said: “I’m so pumped to be part of The Real Love Boat . My first time on a ship and what better way to kick this off than cruising around the Mediterranean in summer. This is one of those experiences that you really have to pinch yourself and can’t believe your luck. I feel incredibly blessed and I’m looking forward to seeing the romance blossom for our singles.”

Best known as Below Deck ’s chief stewardess, Hannah Ferrier will keep our lovebirds in check as The Real Love Boat ’s cruise director. Hannah will be responsible for managing hospitality and social events onboard our cruise liner of love.

Hannah said: “After more than a decade at sea in the Mediterranean I am so excited to join The Real Love Boat and help all our amazing passengers find love! I’m going to be watching them very closely and helping them every step of the way on their journeys to find their perfect match.”

Studio 10 ‘s lovable roving reporter Daniel Doody will bring the energy and excitement on board as Head of Entertainment. Doody will deliver memorable experiences while fostering the emotional connections formed with our singles.

Daniel said: “It’s so amazing to be part of The Real Love Boat . Sailing along the beautiful Mediterranean with our singles onboard finding love is exciting and new. Let the fun times begin!”

The Real Love Boat will set sail aboard Princess Cruises ship, Regal Princess with love forming across the waters of Spain, Greece, France, Italy, Turkey and Montenegro.

At the helm is real-life Captain, Paolo Arrigo, master of Regal Princess. Responsible for 3,560 guests aboard the MedallionClass ship, Captain Paolo Arrigo will also keep an eye on the cupid crew ensuring the singles don’t steer off course as they sail the mesmerising waters of the Mediterranean.

On joining The Real Love Boat , Captain Paolo Arrigo said: ‘As the custodians of the original and beloved Love Boat TV series, it is an honour to participate in a new and contemporary rendition of the show and help our Australian guests find love like the series. It is also a wonderful opportunity to introduce Australian viewers to cruising and show why it’s one of the most-loved holidays on offer.’

With Daniel Doody, Hannah Ferrier and Captain Paolo Arrigo all finding their soul mates at sea, these cupids couldn’t be better equipped to help our singles find love.

Only one couple will be able to make it to the final port, taking home a cash prize and a once-in-a-lifetime trip courtesy of Princess Cruises. But who will drop anchor and who will be cast off?

I also think that 10 was waiting for the current season of Celebrity Apprentice Australia to finish on Nine (Darren lost to Benji Marshall in Tuesday night’s finale) before making the announcement.

1 Like

I’m glad Ten are given Daniel Doody new opportunities like this show, his personality will be perfect on this type of reality show.

1 Like

This show sounds even worse than I imagined.

Given the large capacity of Regal Princess, I reckon there are other versions of The Real Love Boat being filmed on board at the same time. There could also be some ordinary travellers.

Isn’t the CBS version filming at the same time? I’d say highly likely there would be regular travelers as well.

The CBS version will debut on Wednesday, October 5 (Thursday, October 6 in Australia).

UPDATE 29/6: it will be hosted by actors and married couple Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O’Connell.

As seen tonight

Promo just aired. Great promo. Very cheesy and nostalgic. Unfortunately this isn’t my cup of tea and won’t be watching.

Don’t think it will rate well.

3 Likes

Likely wouldn’t watch either, but looked okay. Won’t rate though, hopefully it’s cheap if they’re piggy bagging on the back of CBS’ version.