The Project (2015-Sept 2020)

Waleed is away sick tonight Hugh Riminton hosting with Carrie tonight.

1 Like

###Network Ten’s The Project Win UNAA Media Peace Award.

The Project presenter Waleed Aly and writer Tom Whitty have won a UNAA (United Nations Association of Australia) Media Peace Award.

The awards were announced last night at Melbourne’s Arts Centre to celebrate United Nations Day.

The UNAA Media Peace Awards – which were handed out for the first time in 1979 – seek to promote understanding about humanitarian and social justice issues by recognising those in the media whose contributions stimulate public awareness and understanding. This year, more than 70 journalists, producers, photographers and film makers were among the finalists in 13 categories.

In the Promotion Of Social Cohesion Category, Waleed and Tom were awarded for their Send Forgiveness Viral editorial, calling on Australians to stop the cycle of viral outrage with forgiveness.

Waleed Aly said: “It’s genuinely humbling to be recognised for this piece. Tom and I knew we were taking a huge risk in writing it because in today’s media environment you rarely get rewarded for trying to hold the middle ground, and trying to understand those with whom you passionately disagree. We are delighted that something so unfashionable has been a success.”

The pair were also nominated in the Best Television Category For News And Current Affairs, for their ISIL Is Weak editorial, which gained international media attention and attracted over 30 million views on social media platforms.

The Project Executive Producer Craig Campbell said: “Waleed and Tom are constantly challenging us all to not accept the norm and think about issues that capture our attention from a different perspective. I am once again so incredibly proud of them and The Project team who helped make their work come to life.”

5 Likes

Tom Ballard hosting with Carrie tonight.

2 Likes

They really need some more back-up presenters for when Waleed is away. Heck, put Tarsh Belling on the desk with Carrie… She’s only reading daytime news updates in Sydney

3 Likes

If they are going to pull Hugh for Ten News Sydney, I would like to see Brad McEwan given a go.

2 Likes

I see that in the last week or so, on the end boards they now have the tenplay website, then a ten logo afterwards

Tarsh is good but what’s wrong with Hugh and Tom as backups? It’s not like they’ve been on the show a lot. It’s good having Sydney people as replacements anyway.

Personal opinion, Hugh is better suited to general news reporting & presenting a news bulletin IMO. I think Tarsh is better suited & shines in the particular format where she can show some more personality, she’s also not working throughout the week so why not? Be great to see a female duo as the main hosts from time to time. They’ve already got the comedy part of the show sorted with Pete etc so they should should stick with a main host who at least has some level of journalist crediability.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with what you’ve said about Tarsh but you don’t know what family commitments she has that might prevent her from being a last minute replacement as happened in this case with Waleed losing his voice.

You think Hugh is too serious but Tom is too funny? Oh well. I like both and don’t mind them mixing it up.

5 Likes

Agree. Hugh seriously lacks when it comes to banter, something highlighted regularly on the Sydney bulletin.

Gorgi is another option.

1 Like

I notice that too. The credits change to “Roving Enterprises format” then a Ten logo. Has the copyright changed hands?

1 Like

The point is Waleed is the permanent host not a replacement flown in from interstate, leaving his regular job to fill in when there are far better replacements available.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking

Hamish Macdonald is hosting next week while Waleed is in the US providing coverage in the lead up to the US Election.

5 Likes

With Waleed over there the project will probably provide better news coverage of the election tha ten news.

6 Likes

Well everybody keeps saying that commercial news is just about local news these days so they probably can’t be bothered anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hamish Macdonald hosting again next week with Gorgi filling in for Carrie on Monday night.

1 Like

The Project’s plans to conquer NZ, with the format being licensed to TV3

5 Likes

The Projict. I doubt that kiwis would be stupid enough to watch this crap.
I also love how Fairfax uses national ratings to pretend that the Project is a success, when they normally use 5 city figure for other programs.

2 Likes