The Project

So is Steve Price the only right wing person left on the show now? Well publicly :wink:

3 Likes

I wonder if he will be working in the news division as well?

Do you believe that? Bringing Hamish back is a good move though.

I think its good for 10 and the project.

Seems like he may have been enticed by the a number of new productions they’re putting together.

3 Likes

When Hamish left The Project for Q&A in 2019 it was definitely a promotion for him. But given the state of Q&A atm its kind of a step up for him to leave and go back to The Project now :joy: :joy:

Yes I do, I think he took on too much work and wants some more balance in his life and for his family.

From traveling between Sydney and Canberra, reporting and being Political Editor for 10, mentoring 10 staff in Canberra office, doing his 10 Speaks podcast with Hugh, writing for The Australian and his other Professor work at UWA it was probably too much and something had to give.

Either way, Hamish is a much better presenter and it’s good news for audiences and the show.

3 Likes

Is that why he always looked so tired?

I think there’s a lot in Hamish leaving and returning to 10 a couple of times. He must enjoy the culture there.

5 Likes

The Project really needs a complete overhaul and now would be a good time spearheading Hamish in.

Lisa needs to go. I’m no fan of Walleed or Price either.

I have stopped watching since Charlie left it just feels so sensationalist and fake.

1 Like

If it’s in The Australian I doubt it.

The Guardian reports that PVO was pushed aside to make way for Hamish

Van Onselen, who filled Macdonald’s seat at the Project desk when he defected to the ABC in 2019, was told by Ten news executives last week he was to be moved aside for the prodigal son.

Given you stopped watching the show literally years ago, how does it feel sensationalist and fake since then? How do you come to that conclusion?

TBH I think it is best for PVO to focus on 10 News First as political editor ands producing content for that.

He wasn’t bad on The Project. He did contribute well but I think 10 need a full time political editor.

3 Likes

Sounds like its worked out for all parties involved. ABC / 10 / Hamish / PVO

1 Like

he was OK until he tainted his impartiality over the Christian Porter saga.

7 Likes

So Amanda Meade is implying that Hamish left the sanctuary of Ten for the high times at the ABC where he fritted away his life and is now so down in his career that he has said sorry to Ten who have welcomed him back with open arms and all is forgiven.

1 Like

The Project and The Sunday Project are some of 10’s best performing shows for what its worth.

If you look at last week in 25-54, The Sunday Project 7pm ranked 21st out of all programs shown. The Project at 7pm was 24th. That put them ahead of all episodes of Farmer Wants A Wife. The 7pm show was number one in its timeslot across the week in under 50s and all key demos.

The 6.30pm versions were 36 and 37 - at about same level as 7’s Thursday night AFL.

So off that they’d be selling decent ad rates for products that want to be associated with that demo and that type of show. It is very on brand for the network. If they got rid of it their audience would drop through its arse.

His Porter association undermined a lot of the stories The Project had been covering. I also just find him to lack the chemistry that a comedic show like The Project requires. That said, Tommy Little is also a bit of a weird pick for The Project and often goes for less family friendly, and less funny material compared to Pete. But at least he has chemistry with Lisa.

I’ve always found the Sunday show to be a different kind of show though. Watching a weekday episode with Waleed, Carrie and Pete the other day made it clear just how different that show is. They really gel.

2 Likes

there’s definitely a bit of a different vibe or chemistry on the Sunday show. That’s not to say the weeknight line-up is not good, it’s just different.

1 Like

I definitely agree with this. I see what you’re saying about Peter’s workload but I’m not convinced that the one thing he wants to give up is the only primetime show he hosts. Also, 10 not mentioning him in the press release is telling I think.

I think the Melbourne shows usually work really well. It’s the Sydney/weekend ones with an odd vibe. I think they try to go lighter and younger, but it doesn’t work. I don’t really know what the problem is… casting?

Not sure why it is a big deal for you. He’s been a good journalist and places are likely to employee him if he does good work. (And he does). If the employers he has worked for doesn’t have a problem with his limited time spent there, then why would it be an issue?

I would dare say news reader roles are entirely different, people go where they want to go, and I’ve always thought newsreporter jobs were always in high turn over with people going to different networks and international networks all the time.

Career wise, its a good look for him to be doing roles that stretch him a bit.