The NCIS metaverse

What on earth?! This is insane hahahah

Good to see an investment in drama… but do we even have an NCIS in Australia?

2 Likes

Assuming it’s the US branch in Australia investigating naval issues within the US Navy? Or some ridiculous conceit.

1 Like

CSI: Dubbo mustnt be too far off now

6 Likes

Water Rats for the 2020s.

6 Likes

I mean, it was joked about for some time that this would be a logical (?) spin-off for the series if they went international, but I’m not sure anyone thought it would realistically happen.

Stranger things have happened I guess, not the worst commission I’ve seen 10 make, but with the overall franchise on the wane here in terms of overnight numbers both on the main channel + Bold, this decision seems about 5 years too late.

3 Likes

I called for this 4 years ago under my old account. Should get some credit :joy:

Hate their name choice though. Think mine is more adaptable when it comes to international sales etc.

3 Likes

Conceit or deceipt? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

How do you feel about this? Not quite Aussie enough is it?

Didn’t see this coming. Having Shane Brennan (who created NCIS: Los Angeles) involved is great news though.

Yes we do. It is called Joint Military Police Unit, which absorbed Royal Australian Navy’s Naval Investigative Service (NIS) in 2007.

Also:
https://twitter.com/IamLindaL/status/1493804204141387778

1 Like

I think it’s great that 10 and Paramount are investing some money In local drama even if it is an American brand. Will be great to have a procedural made locally. Guess it will all come down to how good the casting and writing is.

2 Likes

JMPU just doesn’t roll of the tongue like NCIS, their presence doesn’t have the same awareness or pull that using the original name would have here, notwithstanding the fact it has no technical relevance to Aussies. The show is not an accurate representation of that division anyway, so it’s probably the best option for them with proceeding with a local adaption.

I think its great Paramount are investing in local content.

3 Likes

Does anyone watch FBI: International on P+? It is about a team of operatives from the FBI’s International Fly Team based in Budapest. They don’t carry guns and have to work with local police to solve cases involving Americans.
I think NCIS: Sydney will follow a similar premise but this time the cases will involve American sailors and Marines stationed in Australia.

1 Like

Famously all television has to be grounded in reality.

2 Likes

I assume they’re going to claim government subsidies and funding.

If that’s the case then I’m against it if it takes the funding away from Australian shows which tell Australian stories.

1 Like

It likely will be Australian stories though. I can’t see it having a heavy American cast. The articles have said Aussie Actors and Shane Brennan is an Aussie producer / director and did the NCIS LA series as well as directing/show runner for the original NCIS series for a number of years.

1 Like

But will it be like Are You Being Served? Down Under or Doctor at Large Down Under or Father, Dear Father in Australia? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Next, Ten will commission such innovative shows as FBI: Straya and Law and Order: Down Under. :rofl:

Or CSI: Wollongong :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I personally am very excited for 9-1-1: Ayr, near Townsville

6 Likes

NCIS: RM Williams?

4 Likes