The Masked Singer

This keeps happening, and has to stop. And not just in Melbourne either. Why can’t they just do what’s being asked of them over, and over again?

Like they literally could have filmed the finale then found out. But I guess if the main people all test negative they will just do the show with no dancers or new ones? I doubt the dancers got anywhere near the judges lol

Likely a strategic decision from the top. To give viewers the impression the show won’t go ahead tonight and allude them into staying on nine for The Block instead. Smart move.

Isn’t any publicity good publicity? I’m sure most viewers have seen the promos that clearly show it’s pre-recorded. I reckon this publicity on other networks will give it a boost. It’s free exposure.

It doesn’t air in Sunday’s anyway.

4 Likes

Pop up and watermark

2 Likes

I watched the Osher interview. Clearly the individual knew they were unwell and went to work anyway.

7 people. I assume most have families, have probably been shopping etc. It’s got potential to be the next big cluster, given there are 200 that need to be tested this could send us backwards pretty fast.

All for the sake of a TV show. Thousands unemployed in other industries, thousands stood down. It just doesn’t add up. The reasoning that entertainment is essential for wellbeing doesn’t cut it - plenty of other entertainment out there, and could have been another show filmed elsewhere.

1 Like

With restrictions you would hope these people only left the house to work and wore a mask and did the whole distancing thing but who knows.

1 Like

I can understand TV production being exempt, but it should really have been an absolutely bare-bones affair with minimal staff.

Why are dancers even necessary for a singing contest?

2 Likes

I personally think the only things on television which can be considered “essential” in any way are news bulletins and perhaps current affairs programs.

Everything else should be suspended until the pandemic is over, if that’s at all possible.

2 Likes

it wouldnt be possible. what your suggesting would be the end of fta. all the commericals then would just bring in over seas content which wouldnt go well with viewers. the ratings would be dismile and people would then turn to other ways of watching tv eg streaming

1 Like

It could be argued that entertainment is essential for the mental well-being of people at home under lockdown conditions. We shouldn’t underestimate the mental health effects that this lockdown has had and providing some entertainment and something with a positive message is something that could be seen as valued at this time.

It is reported that they had strict COVID procedures in place, so I imagine there will be questions asked about that, but it also shows just how easy this virus can spread even with protocols in place. The number of those affected could have been much higher had there not been any safeguards in place.

14 Likes

why do they have gift bags? are they crew?

I hope the covid testers for the remaining 3 unmaksed celebs keep their mouths shut.

1 Like

Yeah agree. The Masked Singer is something I look forward too this lockdown and it also gets my friends interacting. It’s the type of show that people need now. It appeals to families/kids and is also a very interactive show. It gets my friends messaging and talking with guessing. There’s risks with every workplace. This could happen in any supermarket or anywhere. Hopefully the strict protocols in place mean that not too many have caught it.

2 Likes

Well said, I’ve defended a lot of what Victoria has done but it seems like a huge double standard to allow the masked singer to continue while so many others that do much more important work have been forced out of a job. Just gives fuel to the Jims mowing arguments that undermines the whole lockdown.

13 cases in 2 days, clearly the set was not a covid safe environment, this has the potential to really account for a decent % of the total cases in Victoria over the next few days and become Victoria’s ruby princess.

2 Likes

Jackie O spoke about it on the radio this morning.

2 Likes

I am also guessing Dave Hughes will also talk about it tonight on his Hit! evening show with Ed Kavalee

Where are you getting that number from? Every report I see says 7.

You’ve got to remember that like a lot of industries, even industries that have had large outbreaks, they are still functioning just in smaller capacity. It would be the same with any TV productions. They’ve had to have COVIDSAFE plans with the Govt which probably meant they would have had significantly reduced staff on set and to abide to a lot of protocols. A lot of the cast and crew wouldn’t be from Melbourne either, so are probably staying in hotels and living in a bubble. All these factors would reduce the likelihood of this getting out of hand.

Keep in mind that many shows continued filming right through this. Millionaire Hotseat has also been filming at the same studios during Stage 4. Shows like MasterChef/Ninja Warrior filmed throughout the first wave as well. None of these had an outbreak so the Covid plans have worked well so far in the industry but it was bound to happen at some point. Given that 95% of the countries entertainment industry has halted for months, having a handful of productions running is still a significant reduction on what normally would occur.

1 Like

Includes comments by Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews and chief health officer Brett Sutton at yesterday’s press conference. I think this quote by Daniels best sums up the situation.

In screen for instance, there are some productions, that if they if they weren’t to continue, then the whole thing would basically fall over and would be lost to Victoria. Again, it’s done on a case by case basis, and it’s always accompanied by a COVID-safe plan.

I’m not pleased that it makes the point but it again makes the point that this is a wildly infectious virus and even if you’ve got the very best protocols in place, you will see positive cases.

UPDATE: Jackie O confirmed this morning that her COVID-19 test came back negative.

1 Like

its what The Age reported, but it seems like they have retracted it, still showing up on their google link.

I’m not saying they weren’t legally permitted to operate. but all the arguments they are making to remain operational could apply to a lot jobs and industries that were forced to shut. many of them much more essential and lower risk than reality tv. like why was jims mowing and other trades shut down even when they can operate without having any contact with other people to do their jobs? The whole this reeks of privilege and undermines the whole lockdown.
Daniel Andrews was distancing himself from it, i think he knows it was wrong, when he was asked about it yesterday the first thing he said was that he didn’t sign off on the permit.

2 Likes