The Living Room

it was renewed at the upfronts so i doubt ratings or costs were a major factor, what could have changed in the last few weeks that would make them uturn on their decision?

perhaps WTFN overplayed their hand in some kind of renewal negotiations? Hope ten know what they are doing. a stable performer is very hard to come by these days. and the show was well produced by WTFN, not easily replicated.

I think that’s probably the case, and the cast are signed to the network I imagine so it should be fairly easy to replicate the show in-house. Makes sense.

I can’t see this ending well for Ten should this new show resemble The Living Room too closely. You can bet WTFN is consulting lawyers regarding this.

1 Like

It will be completely different. It will be called The Lounge Room and have a segment called “Cool Or Not Cool”. Nothing suss :wink:

5 Likes
  1. The year of the axeman. :frowning_face:
1 Like

i’m sure there have been worse times for axings. Especially in previous years when there were a lot more shows produced rather reality shows stripped across multiple night of the week. More shows, more chances of axings.

2 Likes

It looks like they’ve taken down the shows Facebook page, but Instagram and twitter are still active.

I thought this was interesting too:

2 Likes

Another one bites the dust

I think we might see the guys back fronting a new version of Friday night takeaway in order to differentiate it from the ‘home’ genre

Yeah I was thinking they would try a variety type show, which I guess they already do in a way with the studio based segments.

1 Like

Amanda Keller said on WS this morning that the cast will be back in the same time slot, lifestyle type show with some tweaks and a new name. Looks like ten ditched the producers and will make it in house as alluded to above. So they’re not abandoning the time slot or genre.

9 Likes
1 Like

Interesting indeed, from Miguel’s reply to the original tweet, it seemed that the axing was confirmed. Maybe some very last minute negotiations with the production company perhaps? Maybe 10 purchased the production rights? That may explain why Miguel said they’d be back in the same timeslot next year.

I just don’t think 10 want people to think it’s axed, so they’re being careful of the use of that word in the media. The hosts are returning to the same timeslot next year, with some inevitable changes.

Because it went public so early, I reckon 10 aren’t quite sure on what the format will look like next year and a new name hasn’t been confirmed if that’s what needs to happen if it’s brought in-house, so they’re just buying some time until details are confirmed.

4 Likes

So is the axing 50/50 at the moment?

As @MrJ said earlier in this thread, WTFN probably overplayed their hand and now regret it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if WTFN came back to 10 with another offer after 10 said it would be axed and that they would produce an alternative in-house show.

4 Likes

Even if it’s coming back in the same format and time slot, just with a different name, publicly “axing” it could possibly be some forward thinking if WTFN take legal action over the format rights or something, as evidence for 10 the new offering is in fact a brand new show.

1 Like

living up to their name of being the WTF Network.

A sign of the direction to come next year with the show? Cherie Barber’s renovating segments were probably one of my favourite things about TLR, it’s a shame to see her finishing up.

As funny as it sounds, that’s exactly where the name was derived from, well according to Wikipedia.