The Latest

I posted a similar remark in the Coronavirus thread but then deleted it because it seemed like from what Denham Hitchcock said on The Latest last night, the emails Seven have are different to the ones Nine and The Australian have unveiled.

4 Likes

Saturday 4 April-

Matt Doran is presenting with Melissa Doyle again tonight.

13 Likes

Caps:

11 Likes

Long day for Mel given she was on Smooth FM breakfast this morning.

4 Likes

Monday 6 April-

8 Likes

I hope Mel becomes a permanent part of this show! I’m much more likely to watch. The less Michael Usher the better!

2 Likes

I’d argue Doyle wasn’t needed and Usher proved he was more than capable of carrying the show solo before Seven decided they should find her something to do until her contract expires.

21 Likes

If it stays an hour, keep them both… if it goes back to half an hour, just have Musher and find Mel something else… or if it stays 7 days, they share the days…

5 Likes

I’d completely disagree.

Michael Usher is over-rated. Bumbles his way through things at the best of times.

I would however concede with Angela Cox moved to Brissy to be with her mum, their hand was probably forced and they had to use Mel.

But, I personally think that is a great thing.

Just like Chris Bath and several others who have gone before her. Her talents and abilities have been completely lost and wasted in recent years.

1 Like

When did Angela move to Brisbane? She presented Early News today.

3 Likes

I can’t think of anyone better, other than perhaps Chris Bath, at delivering rolling news coverage. Most of the journos currently reading the main bulletins are competent news readers but struggle with anything beyond that. Usher proves time and again he can handle the “seat of your pants” stuff. No awkward pauses or waiting for direction via the IFB. I rate him higher than the likes of Overton and Stefanovic.

I know it comes down to personal preference but I’ve always found Doyle’s delivery and presentation to be way too saccharine and not at all authoritative.

7 Likes

Even if he ‘fumbles’ through his words like some have said, I find that he is always in control and has excellent improvising abilities. Reminds me of the likes of the late Peter Jennings who was always excellent at handling rolling coverage and breaking the news in a well-measured, authoritative yet relatable manner.

4 Likes

She hasn’t moved to Brisbane but she is frequently there at the moment.

1 Like

I think that Michael Usher is excellent. An authoritative presenter who is perfect for this bulletin.

Every time I watch him present, I can’t help but be amazed that he is not the main 6pm presenter in Sydney. He is a much stronger presenter than Ferguson.

9 Likes

New graphic on the front of the desk appears to have more blue behind it tonight similar to the backdrop, plus the “latest” translation also has blue background rather than just red, black and white.

1 Like

Honestly, this is a comment I’ve been waiting for a long time now. Thank you :smiley:

2 Likes

Hear me out:
During the coronavirus schedule I believe the bulletins should either have both Angela Cox and Michael Usher or just one presenting. They are quite competent presenters. There are other people at 7 who would do good too (not Melissa Doyle or Denham Hitchcock). Matt Doran should be a backup. Also get rid of that crappy backdrop and use the Sydney skyline, it would at least be nice. Keep the desk :slight_smile: . And the time should be shifted a little later at night, to compete with Nine’s Late News. Apart from this, think everything else is rather fine.
By the way, comment below who you think would make a good host (one who hasn’t presented on The Latest yet.)

1 Like

Alright then but all these shows got to improve on their backdrops. Why doesn’t it use the backdrop on initial launch?

Though I strongly doubt this, either Natalie Barr or Edwina Bartholomew should be given the chance to present The Latest one day.

Barr did present the Late News prior to her long-standing newsreading stint on Sunrise.

2 Likes

I have to go against the tide here and say that I’m not really a fan of Michael Ushers presenting style (more so when he’s presenting traditional bulletins though).

I find he injects just a little bit too much opinion into his presenting. Both in his cadence when speaking and things like a subtle lift of the eyebrows after a serious/shocking story or a smirk after an unusual one. I know he’s only human but his job is to just report the news, not editorialize it.

I also hate the long pauses after a story ends where you can see him still watching on the monitor. No other presenter pauses for as long as Musher does.

Only my opinion though. Please don’t shoot me :joy:

2 Likes