The Latest

You asked for it, you’ve got it.

2 Likes

Considering Seven won’t have AFL commitments in the southern states for many weekends to come, don’t see why the revised schedules wouldn’t eventually reflect today’s announcement

To be fair, that was due to Nine’s bulletin benefiting from MAFS being a much stronger lead-in compared to MKR for Seven.

4 Likes

The Latest now confirmed fro Friday and Saturday at 7pm (of this week).

7 Likes

Woohoo!!!

2 Likes

The graphics and general overall presentation on The Latest has been superb. Very fresh and professional.

8 Likes

Graphics were much better in its first iteration. Way too much gloss everywhere now.

8 Likes

They need to set up FB and Twitter accounts now when this show is getting huge sampling to help further expose the brand.

4 Likes

I’m not sure setting up their own accounts will further expose the brand. They’re better off leveraging the near 2 million followers on the 7news Australia FB page and 163k Twitter followers, which they appear to be doing every night.

They also have alot of segments popping up on YouTube:

And looks like a new section has appeared on 7plus with The Latest coronavirus segments:

3 Likes

Just saw a promo for The Latest where the voiceover says “Join Michael Usher and Melissa Doyle…”

Seems like Doyle will have something to do at Seven after all.

31 Likes

Seven seem to be throwing everything they have at this 7pm bulletin.

3 Likes

Maybe she’ll present the nights Michael is off.

3 Likes

Going to be totally honest here, I can’t see how this 7pm bulletin will rate any higher than it did last night (or in the long run if Seven does choose to continue it going).

Two full hours of news, most of it filled with Coronavirus is real OTT.
They’d be better off having the 7.30 programming running from 7pm and then having the bulletin after that (say at 8-8.30pm) to break up the schedule.

It’s like when they ran that failed experiment in 2013 with the 7TWO 7pm bulletin.

6 Likes

And so they should. It’s such a quality production and with good standards it can have a halo effect on the 7 News brand. Besides - they need to save content for later in the year since all production has slowed or stopped. News is a great filler.

2 Likes

But then having a turkey like MKR in the schedule at the time will lead to even lower ratings for The Latest that follows. The Latest last night outrated pretty much every single episode of MKR anyway so I doubt Seven would mind too much.

I can see it lasting but maybe as a 30 minute bulletin instead at Seven once everything has returned to normal and Home and Away can go somewhere else.

5 Likes

Good point :slight_smile:

My thinking was along the lines of perhaps getting a leg-up on Nine’s 7.30 programming by starting at 7.

Only if they have a semi-decent program in the schedule, otherwise the whole schedule will suffer, including The Latest.

4 Likes

7 sure seem to have faith in this show.

It’s gone from 30 random minutes at 10.51pm 4 nights a week to: 7 nights a week for one hour

The FB episodes are massive - I saw one with 4 million views

It skews younger than the regular 7 news

And it just filled 7 hours a week of a primetime schedule that’s been struggling, with probably not a lot of added cost or expense and zero marketing budget

It’s a networks dream

I’d say 7 don’t have a locked in plan now for the show

Will it stay weeknights at 7 as an hour. Fall back to 30 minutes? Move back to 9, 930 or 10.51?

Who knows - but it seems like it’s here to stay

5 Likes

Melissa Doyle at 7pm? That’d never happen :wink:

4 Likes

I’d say so. So, glad that Mel will be hosting The Latest and, more so, is back on our screens.

5 Likes

7 is basically pulling a 10 by getting around poorly-rating primetime programming with cheaper-to-produce news. However, it’s actually nice to see the effort being put in to make it a more unique product.

I do hope this lasts.

7 Likes