The Latest

I think that set looks really good, the red and white looks really nice. I hope that the backdrop is different when on air though, I don’t really like that.

I personally don’t see the resemblance to Nine News at all, I can understand the ACA resemblance though but I feel it looks better than that. I appreciate the fact that there is minimal blue so it does look like something different for Seven. The set isn’t perfect, but it looks good. Even if it did look magnificent, I feel that there would be criticism on here about it anyway!

1 Like

I’m waiting to see how it looks on air but I had the same impression as you when I first saw the pic

1 Like

Um…that looks nothing like Nine News.

Everyone is bagging it already when the bulletin hasn’t even started. Why can’t we actually wait and see for ourselves and then judging when the bulletin actually go to air.

It’s definitely not world class but already beats the current setup for Sydney.

Sounds like a true Nine fanboy :joy:

7 Likes

says the guy with a “7” in his name.

Have a look at the ACA set and graphics etc, then compare it with this.

1 Like

True… but when you give a program a name like “The Latest” you’re kind of drawing attention to it and asking for criticism.

Whether or not the audience cares or notices is another matter.

But for media junkies/employees it’s a red rag to a bull :stuck_out_tongue:

They could of course craft a local update as part of the program with Musher re-recording the start just for Perth with a throw to the local newsroom. But if you’re going to do that you might as well do the whole thing live… take the eastern rundown, tweak it/update it and then re-present it. With automation etc you could do it with minimal crew. But is it value for money?

1 Like

Haha. Just joking around. Used to like their bulletins but have definitely watched less of them these days. I comment on Seven threads often in the hope that things will improve and standards will be higher.

The addition of The Latest is very risky in today’s landscape. I hope they do well with this investment (TBH, any network attempting late night news is a move that I welcome).

Actually, I should’ve had a look at your Avatar before saying everything :joy: My apologies :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I never felt a ACA vibe, I drew a more NBC inspired look, like mentioned by @theGradyConnell

yep definitely a 10 fanboi… living in hell (WIN territory). :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Feels bad to be you guys…

Anyway, can’t wait to see how this bulletin plays out.

I feel that Seven sometimes cop unfair criticism on here. They certainly have flaws (probably more than other networks) but I feel they are heading in the right direction here with the presentation of this bulletin.

It remains to be seen whether they will change the presentation of the other bulletins, but I like the move away from the blue overload which has been hated by many (including me) here. I would like it if this presentation was used for the other bulletins, but there has been no change to other bulletins yet. I feel that Nine’s red ‘Breaking News’ graphics on the set are WAY TOO in your face, same with Seven’s occasional red lighting.

2 Likes

Don’t mind the desk. Perhaps they should experiment with a more open presentation, standing in various places around the Martin Place set.

3 Likes

That’s the vibes I was getting thinking of what the format might look like. I see they’ve added that glassy backdrop to the portrait on the left-hand and right-hand sides of the set.

2 Likes

Yes because nothing screams credibility more than an anchor stalking around a news set, striding purposefully from one story to the next, offering the unique perspective of legs, something never seen at 6pm

How about we wait and see if this bulletin offers anything substantially different not just the usual rehash of 6pm stories from around the country.

But I suppose it will be important to see if Musher is wearing a designer label or not, hopefully in a colour that goes with the set and graphics.

1 Like

A news update for ‘The Latest’ just aired. It seems as though they are doing what Ten did back in the day with their Late News, airing evening updates nationally presented by the Late News presenter instead of local updates. I think Nine also did that sometimes in the days of Nightline.

9 Likes

Yeah, difference being 10 local updates would still air twice (around 7:30pm and 8:30pm) before the first Late News update around 9:30pm and again approaching 10:30pm (or 11:30pm Fridays).

That update was very Sydney focused (first story about an NRL player), not saying that’s bad, but not a single local story for here (as an example), so long as they have balance of national local stories - so I think they’ll have to work on that?

1 Like

Interesting to hear.

From what I’ve seen, during the old Seven Late News days there were local News Updates at 7.30pm and 8.30pm (along with local Weather and/or Sports Updates which were most likely pre-recorded) with national updates taking over later in the evening - perhaps at 9.30pm.

Probably moreso in the later years rather than early on? Because I’ve definitely seen local evening updates for Sydney presented in “Nightline mode” (darker set with that night’s Nightline presenter) on VHS recordings over the years.

Mind you, part of the reason why could’ve been because (to the best of my knowledge) Brian Henderson was known for leaving the studio shortly after the bulletin and never presented later evening updates.

3 Likes

The first update was great, albeit Sydney centric.

Terrific to see them using a different part of the current theme.

I also think the set looks superb and the desk is much better than the one they currently use at 6pm…

I have high hopes for this bulletin. I really hope it succeeds.

9 Likes

5 Likes

Regional Queensland did not get the national update - they received a local one.

11 Likes

New version of the theme music! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes