The Latest

The Latest is scheduled for Sunday week.

6 Likes

Are we expecting a Sunday Edition to commence?

2 Likes

Let’s hope. Flagship 8.30 Sunday or 9.30
Sunday would be brilliant

5 Likes

Isn’t that the night of the bushfire concert? Or is it after that? IIRC it’s 9 hours from 1pm (AEDT of course :rofl::rofl::rofl:)

1 Like

Angela Cox is presenting tonight.

5 Likes

Why has Brisbane got some Funniest Toddlers rubbish on after the Big Bash, delaying The Latest? Seriously?!
Should’ve been put on after The Latest.

6 Likes

If they make it more investigative and hard-hitting in presentation they could easily expand their brand presence on the cheap whilst giving Seven a chance to have another current affair/investigative show.

It’s a win-win situation.

2 Likes

Seven are mad not to be turning this into a late-night tentpole in the same way that 6pm is.

Their programming department needs a full clear out.

9 Likes

The trouble is that the program seems to significantly linked to the performance and demographics of earlier shows in the night.

Last night for example a couple of younger skewing programs saw the rating plummet to very low uncompetitive levels levels especially for a live news broadcast.

1 Like

@TV.Cynic makes perfect sense

Because they schedule it at whatever time the lead in show dictates. It is not turn on appointment viewing

And the way aussie networks have programmed post 930 for decades mean NO SHOW past 9pm in Australia is appointment tune In viewing

In the us and Canada news has been at 11 for decades. Every station. 7 nights a week. In the UK News has been at 10 for decades. In Spain it’s 9pm

If aussie networks committed to news or Indeed any show past 9pm with dedicated unmoving time slots like they give to the chase, 7 news at 6, morning show. 4pm news, sunrise. Home and away. Etc

Then maybe it would have a chance

But the way the schedule it —No One is turning on to watch the latest. They are simply catching it if it’s already there

8 Likes

Exactly - the easy way to fix the fluctuating ratings problem is have The Latest air 10pm Monday - Thursday. Not only would that create an appointment viewing destination which can be promoted but it also gives Seven’s overall schedule a clear structure (H&A, reality, hour long program @ 9pm, The Latest & overseas drama/other programming after 10:30pm)

5 Likes

When The Latest has been scheduled earlier it has rarely performed well. The current 10pm line-up that Seven has would far outrate The Latest especially in demos as The Latest skews old. Last night it scored no viewers in one market in 16-39. The Latest isn’t a competitive ratings strategy especially in key demographics.

If viewers want to watch late night news ABC has a fairly consistently schedule bulletin around 10:30 or they can switch to ABC News on the hour or they might choose to get their news from somewhere else.

4 Likes

Needs to be local news to work

1 Like

Agree seems time to make 7.30 - 10 reality / drama / entertainment and 10pm news. But I would make it 7 nights a week.

2 Likes

@TV.Cynic does the latest skew older than the 6pm news?

I know it gets less viewers in demos as it has a fraction of the viewers 6pm does.

But does it actually skew older (that is, have A larger % of older viewers of the overall viewership) than 6pm news?

All news skews old

But 6pm has such large viewership overall it has a large chunk of under 50s by default

1 Like

What is 7s current 10pm lineup? Can anyone tell without looking at a TV guide? I wouldn’t have a clue. It’s simply catching whoever was watching the earlier show. No one is tubing in at 10/10.30 to see a particular show based on knowledge. 10pm has been a revolving door for 7 9 and 10. I could not tell you what’s on a single network past 10 any night or the week.

If 30 mins of latest is dragging down sevens demo share at all - why have it? Would it be so different at 10 to 10.30?

2 Likes

So… in the end, Big Bash ran later than advertised, then they showed The Latest, then toddlers. (In Brisbane)
While that is what I thought it should be, it’s not what was advertised… they switched them anyway without notice.

1 Like

While I agree in theory that’s what should happen, Friday & Saturday nights are a bit tricky for half the year due to Seven’s AFL commitments.

5 Likes

If I remember correctly, Ten would also air the late news after the AFL coverage on Saturday nights until about 2004 or 2005.

5 Likes

Monday 10 February-

Angela Cox is presenting tonight.

9 Likes