The Latest

7.30pm in WA at 9.30 here in AEST

2 Likes

I still doubt we’ll get it that early. They could have done it every night at that time from Sydney all these years and never did. Why start now?

I doubt it will be scheduled that early either, but more around 10-10.30pm.

More likely recorded at 9.30 and played out after 10:30pm, or on a Wednesday/Thursday in AFL states when Front Bar and Talking Footy both go over the schedule time - after midnight :laughing:

I’m betting Fergo will eventually be rolled and Mike and Angela will read 6pm Sun-Thurs. Or Angela reads weeknights solo and Mike continues with weekends+Spotlight.

2 Likes

I used to think this but I think they’ve settled with Fergo now for the long haul.

4 Likes

Maybe you’re right. I reckon a lot will depend on if Nine Melbourne’s double hosting works. If it does it’s not too hard to imagine Seven Melbourne installing Mike and Bec on weeknights, and then maybe Sydney following suit with Angela and Michael.

1 Like

Tonight’s bulletin was scheduled to start at 10.30pm, but instead began at 11.01pm, due to late finish to The Front Bar and Talking Footy.

5 Likes

The last bulletin from Sydney is tonight….

3 Likes

The Latest finished tonight, with the Final Frame. Angela Cox thanked the current team from “behind the scenes”, with a photo of the team of them behind her. She said that there are changes coming, and a new era is coming for the bulletin. No mention of Perth studios though.

16 Likes
17 Likes

While the prospect of a new era within the Perth studios will be interesting to see, it’s unfortunate to see them leave Sydney so soon after the new set debuted, given it uses so much of its elements effectively (desk and set LEDs, vertical screen, standing shot, etc).

23 Likes

Not to mention they’ll also need to scrub ‘the latest’ off the hall wall signage.

Perhaps with the move though we’ll actually see more of the bulletin being broadcast live, rather than pre-recorded as it is now.

Some of the interviews on The Latest are recorded in the afternoon.

1 Like

Very standard practice. Wait til you find out about US Late night shows.

2 Likes

Not just some, almost all of the content is pre-recorded bar one or two live crosses to cover major/breaking stories. What value is there in having reporters stay back until 11pm just to say the same things that they can say in a piece to camera recorded at 4-5pm?

And of course other networks build their late bulletins around packaged stories, the only difference is the approach to presentation with a recorded package vs recorded a piece to camera.

5 Likes

Anyone know what time last night’s was recorded? During previous AFL nights (Thursdays) especially events such as season opener, it’s usually a feature of The Latest in the headlines and opening stories, including updates/crosses earlier in the evening and had a feeling they’d wait a little longer to record (catching the post game audience flow especially Melbourne) for a result previously.

However last night, I didn’t watch it all so might’ve been mentioned, but there was none of that, opening like normal and leading with the Samantha Murphy developments.

Also, on above comments about not actually mentioning what the upcoming production changes are, as well as the emotional ending of crew photos and thanking them, you wonder if last night’s team including Angela are really a bit upset about it all.

1 Like

I suppose the viewers won’t care much. They aren’t tuning in for the set! Though I do think that part of the attraction of the bulletin is its rather unique presentation style.

3 Likes

It was live (second story was a live cross to the Sydney newsroom with LIVE plastered across the screen). My understanding is that it’s always presented live just with prerecorded parts spliced in.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t think much will change and looks like it’s going back to 3 nights a week, not airing on Thursdays now.

1 Like

That would make sense with Tim still being able to present Perth’s weekend news.

1 Like