The Latest

Tuesday 25 February & Thursday 27 February-

Angela Cox is presenting The Latest.

10 Likes

9 Likes

How is it a crisis worthy of “special coverage”? Information isn’t developing fast enough to justify this status.

I agree that it requires serious attention, and that people should be well informed (in order to make people hyper aware of personal hygiene)… but I feel australian media in general are ramping this up to be more mass panic than it needs to be.

6 Likes

Like this?

And this?

And this?

2 Likes

Yes and no, those articles aren’t actually too bad for news.com.au, they’re newsworthy articles and their headlines aren’t too bad - vs the guardian who has had a live blog going for the last few weeks… I just don’t think it needs to be “special coverage status” yet…

1 Like

The earlier 10pm start for The Latest is for one hour tonight.

5 Likes

In addition to Michael Usher presenting at the desk, Angela Cox is presenting an in-studio report on the coronavirus outbreak.

8 Likes

8 Likes

Good sensible coverage, not sensational. Nice graphics. Love the use of Angela Cox as well.

10 Likes

Tuesday 3 March-

Angela Cox is presenting tonight.

7 Likes

Just saw a localized update for The Latest on the Brisbane 7plus feed. Do they do this in the other markets as well?

1 Like

Thoughts on why last night’s one hour 10pm edition wasn’t able to grow the audience for Seven in the timeslot?

Despite a lot of effort from the team, the show rated the same as S.W.A.T that usually airs at that time.

I’m thinking that one hour was too long. After crossing to most states, the UK and US and looking at every conceivable angle perhaps it was too repetitive. Add in special reports and standing presentations, perhaps a shorter more concise bulletin was probably what viewers would be looking for at 10pm.

1 Like

@TV.Cynic totally agree. 1 hour at 10 seems way too long - especially considering aussies go to bed earlier than anyone else.

Also, I’ve said many times. It’s not a consistent time slot. People don’t know it’s there. Despite some social posts and short promos - it’s not marketed. It’s not tune in viewing. It’s really relying on whoever is there watching the proceeding show.

As are all 9.30 / 10pm shows in Oz - as the networks have just killed post 930

If 6pm news was not a thing. And seven just randomly put news there one night (like 10 used to do) it would not work either

The latest will never be a real benefit to seven until they commit a solid regular time slot 5 or 7 days a week and COMMMIT - unwavering. Just like sunrise or 6pm news

Imagine running sunrise 4 days a week

Sometimes at 715 sometimes 6 other times 623 other times 8.04 and then it goes off for 3 months. Then you’re surprise it’s not got a following

8 Likes

There’s just not that many people watching FTA at 10pm, regardless of what is on.

3 Likes

If MKR (and other reality shows in general) finish on time each night, The Latest would start earlier…

But sadly, only Monday nights have viewers watching shows post 9.30pm, and ABC’s Q&A usually comes out the winner. The other nights have limited viewers watching late at night

2 Likes

And also, not forgetting that both ABC and SBS already provide late news bulletins both at a fairly consistent start times Monday to Friday.

2 Likes

Totally agree with that!

2 Likes

Would be great to see the 7.30 programs go back to 60mins (on all networks for that matter) then 8.30/9.30, and The Latest consistently at 10.30.
I think if you’re not interested in the 7.30 reality offerings that run across the networks until 9.00 (or after with overruns), you don’t bother waiting around to watch after anything after that, and look elsewhere, eg. Netflix. I know that has been my experience.
The extended reality shows early in the night have effectively killed off the shows later in the night.

5 Likes

Lack of promotion would be an issue, even if you mention it in your earlier bulletins, you’re not going to really capture much of an increase in late-night viewing… the target demographic watching earlier bulletins wouldn’t be the same as that watching late-night telly.

I think it’s a hard thing to address, but unless you interrupt a prime-time program or have intense topic of particular interest, I don’t know if you can increase the audience share.

2 Likes

Yes all markets get a localised update for 6pm and the evening.

2 Likes