The increasingly crowded streaming market

Yeah I noticed offline downloads.

So can you download the music then listen to it outside the house in the yard or do you need wifi/mobile data still on?

2 Likes

Yeah - I think you need mobile data for it to check youā€™re still logged in, but just a tiny bit. Videos can do the same thing - I think similar to netflix in that regard.

3 Likes

I might sign up. One less service with ads . I assume itā€™s not just videos of music , itā€™s the songs too without video? I assume also they have the same artists as on Apple Music.

Also If the networks charged something like $4.99 a month as a second option for 7Plus or 9Now without ads Iā€™d pay it.

1 Like

Yep. I fill gaps where they exist with it being able to upload music (via PC) from my existing music library of stuff from CDs or purchases, but Iā€™d need to do that with any service.

But yeah, even though itā€™s called ā€œYouTubeā€ music, you can flip it and keep it in audio only mode. But you can for some songs flip over and get the music video - which is annoying for some songs where the official music video has a 2 minute mini-movie before the song itself.

Iā€™ve used https://www.tunemymusic.com/ before to migrate between services, which works well, combine it with free trials and you should be able to see if it works for you.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with Optus unlimited broadband on Speed Pack 4 which means zero issues streaming through Fetch TV

3 Likes

I think Iā€™m going to ditch Paramount Plus and Britbox soon that is $18 a month. Only a handful (One hand) of shows on there Iā€™m watching.

Use the savings for Youtube Premium and keep Apple Music yearly. I just like how Boost Mobile doesnā€™t count music streaming though neither does Telstra. I donā€™t really want to have my data used for music. I wonder if you can pay for Youtube Premium with discounted Google Play cards at the supermarket?

I donā€™t know how it works with Youtube advertising .Rate My Takeaway is a channel and it has 30min or so videos but there is maybe only a couple of 10sec ads at the beginning and one 10sec one in there though it sometimes is at a weird timing spot in the video just when theyā€™re about to show something.

Some channels there is one called Shiey where he goes to abandoned places/train surfs possibly illegally? he has no ads at allā€¦ maybe Youtube doesnā€™t allow it ? Or can you set up a channel to not have advertising?

Perhaps videos with less views , less ads. Good Mythical Morning with Rhett and Link and MrBeast seem to have a lot of short ads scattered around .

1 Like

The creater can specify when the ads appear during the video. I find it annoying how the ads just play out of the blue with no warning. Sometimes the ability to skip the ads does not work properly on certain elements on the YouTube app which is annoying when you cast it using a Chromecast and the video is 6 minutes long.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what happens when my parents are watching dramas from mainland China on YouTube. Ad breaks are randomly inserted without warning.

2 Likes

HAHA.

I have almost no spare time tbh but I sub to Netflix, Stan, Disney, Binge then have a free sub to AppleTV+ and leech of my Dadā€™s Kayo sub.

I will sub to Paramount+ shortly as I want to watch Dexter, Five Bedrooms and Why Women Kill S2.

I like to have a good variety and convenience :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Whatā€™s so good about Youtube premium? Apart from no ads that can be skipped anyway.

1 Like
  • NO ads at all when watching Youtube Premium (especially handy when watching music videos otherwise loaded with ads!)
  • on some videos when watching normal Youtube you canā€™t skip ads at all or not skip ads until the 2nd or 3rd ad!
  • ad-free access to Youtube Music.
  • Youtube has recently upped its commercial content as more advertisers come on board.
2 Likes

Also background play and offline downloads. But just the ad-free experience is worth it for me. Particularly when I mostly use smart boxes/TVs to watch it.

1 Like

Are you a fellow ā€œArgentinianā€ YT Premium subscriber like myself?

2 Likes

Indian actually haha.

2 Likes

Premium subscribers get Picture in Picture on iOS too

2 Likes

An article from 2010

Long before Optus Sport, Paramount+, Amazon, Stan Sport were even considered. Itā€™s almost 2022 and itā€™ll be interesting when the next rights come up for the AFL.

Netflix was 4 years before itā€™s launch in the Australian market

3 Likes
5 Likes

I canā€™t see 10 Play being around long term. Clearly this is a transition.

2 Likes

lol no. Would merge with P+ before Pluto.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been casually using the US Pluto TV for a while now. Itā€™s not bad, but donā€™t expect any well known programming. They have a few Viacom channels like Comedy Central, Spike, etc but none of them are linear. Theyā€™re like Fetch TVā€™s ā€˜avcā€™ channels - on demand programs strung together to make linear-like channels.

3 Likes