The increasingly crowded streaming market

Much cheaper than Foxtel’s offerings. combined all up.

4 Likes

Exactly right.

Anyone who suggests that having every service would be bad for your pocket clearly doesn’t remember paying for Platinum Foxtel at $110 a month!

6 Likes

Dad is happy to pay his $110 and that’s his right, but he is planning on exiting them after the free upgrade they gave him to HD to ensure he stays expires in November 2022.

At minimum two is good, and you just have to plan out what each service you will use it for. So if you had kayo and you don’t watch much sport, is it really worth it for AFL or NRL? Probably so.
Comparing that to the Foxtel payments and the rip off merchants that they are (and I can now add Sky, NowTV to this list from previous experience), choosing your own adventure in streaming is good because you can find decent alternatives for half the price of a leg. :stuck_out_tongue:

Foxtel reminds of the South park episode with the cable company rubbing their nipples in front of Randy, sticking it to the little consumer… That’s what Foxtel does. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

$140 for me. Lucky I don’t pay and contract runs out on Friday. No renewal.

Will just steam everything I need at half the total cost.

3 Likes

And that’s just it, it’s also a generational thing. My grandparents are in their 80’s and have no internet but have had Foxtel for many years.

No one in my family is about to introduce them to the internet and streaming at that age!

They’re happy to stay with their Foxtel.

2 Likes

Yeah i won’t argue with that. Dad is slowly coming around, zoom calls a plenty when registering him with streaming services. (He’ll try out a few). :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

:joy: It’s such a problem when they see something on Netflix or Disney Plus for example in the paper or during a television commercial and want to watch it.

Trying to explain that these programs aren’t available to them is a nightmare! Lol

3 Likes

Yeah I worked out something like that … though I also have Apple Music yearly too another 10 a month though it is data free with Boost.

Must be an age thing I’m in my 30’s and I get up at 4.30am but sometimes fall asleep after starting a show sometimes in the evening… some streaming service like Paramount + they have this auto play you cannot turn off on the Apple TV. When I was in my 20s I could stay up late and it never affected me much the next day or so .

2 Likes

Do you get up at 4:30am for work?

3 Likes

To go for a walk with the dog before it gets too humid/hot here in the tropics Already 25 deg and muggy when I wake up. Just a seasonal thing .

3 Likes

I have Netflix, Stan and Apple TV Plus, dropping Paramount+ and getting Disney+ this December.

3 Likes

I remember talking to my accountant end of 2020 tax year and told her I was claiming streaming services as “I sometimes fill in producing commercial radio breakfast and need to be across entertainment and trends” and her reply was “shit you’re good. Dodgy. But good.”

Worked fine.

Don’t tell the ATO shhhhhh!! :joy:

6 Likes

I really like Prime Video. I find myself watching that way more than Netflix or Stan (when I had it). Now I just pay for Netflix, Prime and YT Premium, and opt into Kayo during the AFL season. What’s that - $28 p/m ish? I also have a Plex server for stuff I want to keep.

3 Likes

Youtube Premium is almost as expensive as HD Netflix. Seems overpriced at $14.99.

1 Like

There are ways to lower the monthly price significantly. Same with Netflix. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m locked in at $9.99 - but YT Premium is good value if you make use of YT Music as a streaming service instead of buying something like Apple Music or Spotify separately for similar pricing.

4 Likes

So if you want Youtube Music and Youtube Premium is that $24.99?

1 Like

Nope - it’s included in the $14.99 for both services. I wish they chucked in some google drive storage as well, but combined it’s worthwhile.

3 Likes

I have Apple Music on my phone $10 a month but not counted for data with Boost.

If I drop Apple Music and then get Youtube Premium… only thing is it would use data on my phone . I’m on 100gb a year,guess I’d have to listen to music sparingly unless the data usage is low? Really only need the music not a video of it.

1 Like

It has used 3GB in the last month on my phone - but it has options for keeping the music locally on your phone instead and doing that on wifi - so in theory it can just sync down your playlists and then not use much, but as I just learnt, I had that all off…

It’s not the best music app, but if you’d get value out of YouTube Premium - which I do for the lack of ads and background play, then I think it makes a good value proposition.

2 Likes