The increasingly crowded streaming market

It may depend on what content you’ve got to on-sell - they might be wiser to sell rights to multiple providers for less money if the library on offer is weak.

2 Likes

7PlusPlus ? lol

I think Seven is likely to do something though. They sell some shows to streaming services but they don’t have their own.

1 Like

Peacock is the name of NBCUniversal’s forthcoming streaming service. There will be original series and movies including new animation from DreamWorks Animation, plus series from the NBC and Telemundo libraries and movies from Universal Pictures and Focus Features. Launches in the USA in April 2020.

Peacock looks pretty comprehensive with lots of library content. I wonder if we will get it here. The only problem is as this thread suggests there just too many fucking different services. Ridiculous proliferation.

4 Likes

People will rue the day they ever complained about Foxtel and their pricing.

Once upon a time, a Foxtel Platinum subscription + FTA would give you 95% of all Australian/US/UK movies/tv/sport. $100-$150 a month.

Now to get all the content, you have to subscribe to 18 different streaming services and that doesn’t even include sport (which if Foxtel dies, all the sporting codes will want to start their own streaming services).

2 Likes

Why would you need to subscribe to every streaming service? Just subscribe to the one you want so you can watch the show you want. Then switch next month. You can’t watch television 24 hours a day. Or do you?

6 Likes

NBCUniversal can add more content to its existing streaming service Hayu here.

I think it will become signing up for a month or so watching what you can canceling and signing up to a different service. At least that is what I think I will do. Especially with Disney considering they will release episode weekly.

3 Likes

Peacock will have streaming rights to Everybody Loves Raymond in the US. It was co-produced by HBO and distributed by CBS, so it could have been on CBS All Access or HBO Max.

They’ll all have their one or two good shows that I want to watch, which unlike on Netflix, will be released weekly, so you can’t switch month-to-month.

How can you watch a whole series in a month if it’s released weekly?

Weekly release is complete bullshit and totally destroys what made streaming services like Netflix so successful. I was all on the streaming bandwagon until that.

1 Like

Does that mean their small freely-available back catalogue of classic dramas (eg. All Saints) will be restricted to a paid subscription?

Changing the release timing is an effort to keep people on the hook for longer, I think we might see more of the Hulu drop method - drop a few (2 or 3) eps on day 1 and then weekly for the remainder of the series

3 Likes

I would wait until the end of the year and watch multiple episodes in a row…

4 Likes

Acorn TV is a bit of a joke, one show I wanted to watch on there and they have 2 out of 5 seasons made. Must be why it is $7 a month or $5.83 monthly (paying annually $69.99 )

On that topic why don’t Netflix or Stan offer an annual subscription that is cheaper? Eg $14 a month or $149 a year? for the HD tier and $179 for the 4k .

Amazon is $59 a year though that includes the shipping and tv.

I guess saying the amount like that ($a hundred and something) makes it sound more expensive rather than cheaper .

People I know who have switched over to Netflix and Stan and no longer have Foxtel or a FTA antenna have said it’s mainly because they don’t want to be told when to watch a TV show. I can’t see them being happy with this sort of drip feed approach.

5 Likes

It’s all about making money and keeping people subscribed for longer so if the weekly release strategy does that better than dumping a whole season at once then I guess that’s the way a company like Disney+ will go.

4 Likes

For a second I thought ‘what about news?’, but of course news video is freely available on news websites, free-to-air streaming, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.

2 Likes

The only thing I use the actually tv for now is the occassional sport on channel 7. The rest I just live stream on the laptop. For example Survivor. I can pause it while i go to the toilet and fastforward during the ads. I guess you don’t really need a TV for sports though as you do have Kayo. However, I probably won’t get it until AFL season again as I found last summer I was too busy to watch a lot of cricket on it (i.e. Big Bash).

1 Like

What a waste of a 65inch TV. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have my tv plugged into the antenna thingy and last show I bothered to watch lasted 2 weeks (Sat Night Rove) .

Free to air 7/9/10 is full of so much reality which doesn’t appeal to me.

2 Likes