The increasingly crowded streaming market

I’m actually stunned that the gap between Netflix and Disney+ is so big… I know Netflix have been around a lot longer, but Disney arguably has a stronger brand, richer heritage and a deeper content library for the gap to be 30% is a surprise to me.

2 Likes

There was another graph recently as part of an ACMA report

1 Like

I think that’s precisely the reason - although I suspect there’s also a slight perception that Disney means “kids stuff”? Which of course these days is nonsense, but I wonder if that’s why they’re leaning on the Star brand more often recently, for things that might’ve been Fox branded in the past, as a more “adult” differentiator.

New to Shelter this March

REGULAR OR SUPER | MELBOURNE INTERNATIONAL
DESIGN VS BUILD: THE BURKE MUSEUM
MARIO BOTTA: THE SACRED & PROFANE

Discover the minimalist ethos behind some of North America’s most striking urban landmarks; watch a museum strip back its walls and reveal its treasures to the public; venture back in time into the urbanist shift that defined Melbourne’s skyline; and investigate the oppositional concepts central to the work of an iconic Swiss architect this March on SHELTER.

MIES VAN DER ROHE: REGULAR OR SUPER

Famous for designing such landmarks as New York’s Seagram Building, Toronto’s Dominion Centre and numerous buildings in Chicago, Mies van der Rohe was best known for his minimalist designs.

An obsession with purity & simplicity and an adherence to his belief that “less is more” influenced the way he combined form & function; creating a connection to the outdoors and architecture that is less removed from life and more reflective of how we actually live.

With a jazz-infused soundtrack, inspired cinematography and commentary from Stanley Tigerman, Rem Koolhaus and Phyllis Lambert; REGULAR OR SUPER brings van der Rohe’s work to life in a documentary that captures the spirit of the man and his brilliant contributions to 20th-century architecture.

• REGULAR OR SUPER (57 mins) Canada 2005 (Available 7 March)

DESIGN VS BUILD: THE BURKE MUSEUM

Design vs Build: Burke Museum - Trailer on Vimeo

The Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture is the oldest public museum in Washington State, tracing its roots back to 1879, and housing a collection of over 18 million artifacts and specimens; ranging from totem poles and gemstones to dinosaur fossils.

Yet most visitors never got to experience any of these treasures of the past, which remained hidden behind concrete walls and inside research labs.

When the Burke was granted major funding in 2015 for a new building, a bold new idea was presented by Architect Olson Kundig: what if the museum was turned “inside out”?

The final result sought to create a one-of-a-kind museum experience, where guests could look into working research areas and laboratories. But getting there wouldn’t be easy; requiring a delicate transfer of the museum’s millions of unique and treasured items from the old building to the new.

• DESIGN VS BUILD: THE BURKE MUSEUM (30 mins) USA 2023 (Available 14 March )

RESIDENT URBANISM: MELBOURNE INTERNATIONAL

Known for its iconic and striking skyline; the city of Melbourne needed a drastic design shift in the mid-20th century to become what it is today.

Exploring from 1950 to 1980, this feature-length documentary film charts the development of the International Style of corporate architecture and the rise of the glass box, curtained-wall style office building, that would shape the look and feel of Melbourne’s urban centre.

• MELBOURNE INTERNATIONAL (65 mins) Australia 2015 (Available 21 March )

MARIO BOTTA: THE SACRED AND PROFANE

Renowned Swiss architect Mario Botta retraces some of the most significant steps of his career, exploring the inner questions that pushed him to investigate the spaces of the sacred and the profane; two coexisting but oppositional concepts that are integral to his work.

MARIO BOTTA: THE SACRED AND PROFANE delves into the architect’s worldwide projects and his founding of the Accademia di Architettura and the Teatro dell’Architettura, before diving into his exhibit for the MAXXI Museum in Rome; an installation composed of heterogeneous and highly expressive materials, including a 1:1 scale pavilion and a facade prototype; models; sketches and photographs of his built projects.

Botta’s reflection is explored, complimented and challenged by fellow critics and colleagues Enzo Cucchi, Margherita Guccione, Fulvio Irace, Vittorio Sgarbi and Giuliano Vangi.

• MARIO BOTTA: THE SACRED & PROFANE (21 mins) Italy 2022 (Available 28 March )

Since these are popping up everywhere…

Nosey has been running a Jerry Springer marathon over the weekend. Bloody good stuff.

5 Likes

You might need to show us some of your working on this one - there is no public service obligation and the streamers price their products to what they believe the market is willing (and capable) to spend.

It would be nice if they were cheaper and as people tighten budgets these will be among the first things to get dumped from people’s spending, but the services need to be sustainable. Australia can still be stupidly expensive to have the infrastructure to support this stuff.

It’s getting to the point where its becoming a joke. I dont need to show any working. Off the top of my head, I’d have to pay at least $100 to watch all the sport I’m watching.

The more people that pull out, the more they’ll have to listen. I smell another bubble bursting.

As for the sports leagues that are increasingly wanting more and more in rights fees…f**k you. If we have to pull our belts in, so can you. Biscuit brains Ponga doesnt deserve the money he’s on, and a lot of other sports stars are in the same boat.

2 Likes

I don’t spend a huge amount on streaming services as I just come and go from individual services from time to time, which is one of the joys of streamers not having lock-in contracts, but I agree that it’s inevitable that the streaming bubble will burst.

We saw it with pay TV operators when it was clear that a 3-way contest between Foxtel, Optus and Galaxy was not sustainable. And I think there will come a point when a number of streaming services will also have to consolidate to survive. They can’t all last forever.

2 Likes

The barrier for failure appears to be a lot higher for streamers and I’m surprised we haven’t seen more fail (the ones that do seem to have few subscribers and often niche content, excluding say Presto which I think was doomed to fail), thats not to say it wont happen though.

1 Like

While I can see having a similar number of streaming providers in the market to now being largely sustainable for entertainment and niche services, as far as sports streamers go I can’t see how this is sustainable. To get every sports service that has either a significant sport or a wide range of sports, you now need to fork out at least (assuming 1 screen, and taking annual passes when available):
-Kayo ($25.00 per month)
-Optus ($16.58 per month - annual pass $199.00)
-Stan ($25.00 per month)
-Bein ($14.99 per month- annual pass $179.99)
-Paramount+ ($7.49 per month- annual pass $89.99)

That’s $89.06 per month at the absolute minimum. Surely there will have to be some consolidation in the market in the coming months? I cannot see how this can be in any way shape or form sustainable.

2 Likes

Did a calculation of all my streaming services I subscribe to…

Service Price
Stan $16
Flash $8
Paramount+ $9
Disney $14
Prime $7
Netflix $17
AppleTV+ $10
YouTube (because I dont want ads on my phone lol) $20
Total $101

Honestly, this is where I wish that all these production companies did not make their own service, and stayed on Netflix, but I know why they did it though, and I can imagine my spending will increase when Max comes to Australia.

Hopefully there will be consolidation of all these services soon…

2 Likes

Don’t forget you need the base package just to get Stan Sport so it’s really $35.

That is factoring in the base package ($10 for one screen being cheapest) + $15 for sport.

Didn’t they put the Stan Sport price up to $25 excluding the $10 base package price?

Still looks to be $15 (for now anyway).

I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see them raise it to $25 (or more) at some point though, especially if they end up doing a deal with beIN.

The LG Channels app is now available in Australia on LG smart tv’s

2 Likes

Is this basically the same as the Samsung and TCL tv app?

1 Like

Yes it’s LG’s version

2 Likes

There’s now a channel on Samsung that endlessly plays UWCL matches and highlights.

1 Like

From BBC Studios annual results announced today

The company also revealed that its “Best of British” joint streaming service with ITV, BritBox International, has 3 million subscribers across eight markets including the U.S., Canada, Australia, Nordics and South Africa — up 15% from 2022.

1 Like