The Good Doctor

Discuss Seven’s new overseas drama acquisition “The Good Doctor” here.

I take it this show was under Seven’s rights deal with Sony Pictures Television - International Distribution?

Which already provides the network with movies and television programs?

Rather than an ‘extra’ purchase, given its considerably high ratings and success overseas?

I officially now love this show (as many others seemingly do) :heart_eyes:

Not just because I love anything and everything biomedical related (that’s my profession, scholarly education and passion - also someone who had a medical book at age 12 LOL), but because it treats the plot very meticulously, inter-twining character back-story, feel-good relationship building, realistic procedures/terminology/methodology and most of all relatable and likeable characters. It’s also an original character and modern take, on a genre well established.

Kudos to whoever created the concept and executed it, also Seven’s luck & viewers delight!

And MediaSpy has just learnt a bit more about LukeMovieMan

Posts in thread: 3
Posts by lukemovieman in thread: 3

3 Likes

I’d been telling a friend she needed to watch it. Finally she got around to watching it for the first time last night and she called me afterwards in tears. She called me again this morning and they’ve now also watched the first three episodes and she is officially addicted to the show!

1 Like

The big question will be whether Seven take the show off for the upcoming non-ratings period. Victim of its own success?

It will be a dog act from Seven if they take it off.

1 Like

Surely they wouldn’t, a season is a season, Seven’s own fault for airing it late in Q4 then.

The show is taking a months break in the US from the 4th of December, so they will have to take it off anyway. It wont return to Seven until Feb because of the tennis.

1 Like

This is where multichannels are suppose to come in. But I guess if the plebs out there are happy to wait weeks/months for episodes then that’s good for Seven.

Good to see Seven showing the final two episodes for the year same day as the US. All hit shows should be treated this way.

3 Likes

Promo “returns after the Olympics”

1 Like

Yep that’s the same as the US where the show returns February 27th. Seven do still have an episode that aired in the US last night to show so they will be a week behind when The Good Doctor returns.

1 Like

Returns with S1 episode 14 on Tuesday 27 February at 9:00PM

Dr. Shaun Murphy is surprised to learn that his young cancer patient identifies as a girl while being biologically male. Shaun must quickly learn to understand his patient, her medical needs and how to work with her family, who all feel they know what is best for her.

2 Likes

Best show on TV (IMO) thought I’d just say

1 Like

The show’s star Freddie Highmore is coming to Sydney on March 9 as part of a worldwide promotional trip which also includes Japan and New Zealand.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/the-good-doctors-freddie-highmore-set-for-tour-in-australia/news-story/154d46fedcaac6d5594c50428044a2b1

3 Likes

THE GOOD DOCTOR is headed Down Under

The star of Channel Seven’s number one TV program will be in Oz for a publicity tour.

Freddie Highmore will put down his clipboard and stethoscope and wave goodbye to his patients and colleagues at San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital to slip on some board shorts, a t-shirt and a pair of thongs to say G’day to Australia on Friday, March 9.

This is a first time visit to our shores for the highly regarded actor, who is looking forward to staying in Australia before travelling to New Zealand for further press commitments.

“With this being my first trip to Australia, I’m very much looking forward to exploring a country that I have always dreamed of visiting,” says Highmore.

“I am likewise excited to meet all those who have so warmly embraced The Good Doctor. Thanks for having me!”

Recently receiving a Golden Globe nomination for his portrayal of Dr. Shaun Murphy in THE GOOD DOCTOR, the 26-year-old actor plays a gifted, young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome who relocates from a quiet country life to join the paediatric surgical unit at the prestigious San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital.

Alone in the world and unable to personally connect with those around him, Shaun struggles as he deals with the traditional social interaction in the workplace, but is brilliantly intuitive when it comes to medical diagnosis. He uses his extraordinary medical skills to save lives and challenge the scepticism of his colleagues.

Currently 13 episodes into season one of this incredibly popular medical drama, THE GOOD DOCTOR just wrapped filming season one in Vancouver, Canada.

Freddie hails from the United Kingdom, and prior to THE GOOD DOCTOR was best known for his role in the US television drama Bates Motel. He has also worked in films since he was child, starring alongside Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet in Finding Neverland.

THE GOOD DOCTOR returns to Seven on Tuesday, February 27 at 9.00pm.

1 Like

I caught up on all the episodes of this show on 7 Plus,great show👍

The final three episodes of the first season will be fasttracked just hours after the US, on March 13, 20 and 27.

Doesn’t seem to make a difference to ratings though with the show starting to drop now, no matter what.

Not surprisingly, the show has been renewed by ABC in the US for a 2nd season

1 Like