The Future of TV - Linear vs. Streaming and beyond

my opinion of future tv is that it will all be svod based and all the channels will be on the internet the younger gen will start emerging and tv that we know will change and ifs all svod it will also be in hd . all the big heads of tv will realise the only way will be internet

That my friend will probably take at least 50 years to occur, but merging of channels or channels like 4Me and Extra2 will disappearing (something I stand corrected on) is a distinct possibility

I’m sure linear TV will be gone quicker than that.

4 Likes

i will guessing between 10 to 20 years

esp the way the internet is going

i think at least 6 FTA channels will be maintained at for at least 50 years.

Those being ABC, ABC News, SBS, 7, 9 and 10

Other services will be available online

Current restrictions such as minimum 55% Australian produced television (between 6am and midnight) will exist on non-internet based broadcasting and I think there will be other minimum content requirements such as return of Childrens programmes to non-internet based broadcasting (probably set at 10% of broadcast time between 6am and midnight including minimum of 260 hours of ‘C’ classified programming and minimum of 130 hour of ‘P’ classified programming) - possibly even setting the times these could air (eg between 6am and 10am and 3pm til 5:30pm)

Because radio no longer exists, or cinemas, or newspapers or books, or live theatre… no wait, they all still exist.

TV isn’t going anywhere.

3 Likes

i strongly disagree tv will go it wont the tv of today thats for sure

That’s the problem with Foxtel is having to pay extra to get the channels you’d actually want and would have a bunch you don’t. Not to mention the plain fact that the Pay TV market in this part of the worldis a Murdoch owned monopoly

I think the biggest indication that TV isn’t going anywhere just yet is that despite the various online services now having strong market penetration, very few people have ditched having TV at home, and it is still the primary way that the vast majority of people watch particularly live content.

Just as mobile devices have taken hold, and are now the primary device for accessing the internet, most people still have a computer as well.

Live content, particularly sport is going to be the biggest savior for linear TV, as it is content that people want to watch live, and has limited appeal after the fact. The technology currently prevents online streams from being completely live, with delays of anywhere between 30-60 seconds, and delays that vary between devices. It means that different viewers will see the outcome at different times, which in particular would be annoying if you wanted to have 2 screens running at the same location. At least with the few second delay of digital TV, everyone still gets the same signal at the same time and those few seconds mean nothing unless you’re actually watching the event in person.

1 Like

You just need to look at the year-on-year ratings (and for even more disturbing comparisons 5yrs or 10yrs) to see the trouble TV is having especially FTA.

Radio exists because it has had the car factor which has locked people in for some time (sure, some people played cassettes or CDs) but it’s only now with Aux cords and Bluetooth streaming where newer cars make it significantly easier not to listen to radio. People also enjoy the companion factor of radio, with live information or presenters, which podcasts can only go someway to replicating and a music-shuffle service is unable to.

Cinemas exist because movie companies haven’t found an alternative distribution source for blockbuster movies that still makes back the money they need. The biggest films these days are spinoffs of a 1970s franchise or comic book adaptations because they have a built in audience.

Newspapers, well their audience is dying every year so that’s one that will be gone.

Books, no they haven’t died not has live theatre.

But none of the above have been challenged quite like TV has in its distribution model. As @webguy points out, live sport may be the last bastion. Hence why we have just seen 1 billion dollars go to Cricket Australia. It’s unique content that can’t be sought out elsewhere and needs to be viewed in real time. Streaming services are only going to get deeper libraries and attract more customers. Watching a show at a certain
time that a network tells you? Yes I can see that being dead sometime in the next 30 years. TV will remain, but in a different form.

4 Likes

That’s also why the FTA networks have their On Demand Streaming platforms as well. eg 9Now and TenPlay and whatever 7 has. Cause even if they do deny it publicly they DO see those streaming services as competition. So it’s the old cliche of if they can’t beat them join them

In 10-15 years time probably will still be seeing networks broadcasting in SD. Hopefully not but I think it’s still likely.

Hopefully we move to MPEG-4 for all channels or whatever than other standard is better. I can’t think off the top of my heard what that other word was , not just MPEG-4 it is some broadcasting standard they use in the UK.

I’d like to see everything on free to air in HD and everything on catchup services in HD hopefully sooner rather than later. It’s ridiculous that in 2018 only 9Now is offering HD for catchup services.

Why do we have HD tv’s if free to air barely broadcasts it .

Edit:

DVB-T2 or future video compression standards such as MPEG-H HEVC (H.265)

Hope we end up using that ? Or will that not happen?

Except Community Newspapers are generally on the up, or at least holding position. Perhaps they offer something the big dailies don’t (probably news!). RNZ’s Mediawatch had a good bit about papers last Sunday, basically that all the ‘spare’ money out of the business has been siphoned off to the execs, shareholders, etc, and they’ve nothing left to combat change.

All these industries have had to deal with change as the next thing joins the market. There have been naysayers and doomy-gloomy predictions for them all and all have survived. Formats come and go and they adapt.

I think what TV needs to do is what TV3 were doing ten years ago (cue ridicule…), i.e. to promote LOCAL stories, identities and sport. The USA can’t make NZ or 'Stralian television, nor can the Scandies. Yes, there will probably be some market consolidation and job-losses but that’s pretty much what technology does.

Canadian TV advising viewers to set their PVR’s rather than watch live.:hushed:

5 Likes

Pretty weird but it doesn’t matter. That show was cancelled.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Australian TV industry - General Discussion

What does its cancellation have to do with it?

CTV have also done it with other programs.

1 Like

i think fta will have to change if it wants to compete in the future esp whats on tv now which isn’t much as good and the only way that will change if younger people take over and whether or not commercial tv stays the same who knows

1 Like