The Front Bar

I’m in Qld and really enjoyed the pre-Winter Olympics episode. Made me laugh out loud quite a bit.

1 Like

I’m in NSW and enjoyed both versions of the show (the AFL version and the various incarnations like the cricket specials and the Winter Olympics specials).

Im not the biggest AFL fan out there - but this show does show the lighter side of the game. And the guests can usually handle the hosts jokes too, and show the odd old footage of the game.

1 Like

Women can do this too. Jesus Christ.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Australian basketball legend Phil Smyth is tonight’s first guest, followed by Mick Doohan and former tennis player Richard Fromberg.

EDIT: Mel McLaughlin, Glenn Robbins and Mark Phillipoussis will be on the show next week.

This still filmed at BCM?

Correct.

A live studio audience for the first time in 2 and a half years

2 Likes

Mel McLaughlin is guest host tonight.

1 Like

Definitely different with Mel there, quite funny watching how awkward she is when the others make a controversial joke, like she’s going to get in trouble for it all.

She also seems to be moving through things very quickly, like it felt like the hour show was going to be done in 15 minutes because she’s trying like it’s a proper sports analysis show or sports reporting whereas it’s really just a few people cracking jokes and filling an hour with absolute drivel which is why it works so well.

5 Likes

I agree. Does feel different with her there. She does look awkward sitting there when Mick Molloy and Sam Pang say their jokes. She doesn’t know how to respond. And goes on by moving along to the next piece quite quickly.

1 Like

I used to really like Mel on 10’s Big Bash cricket.

She was lured to Seven for Rio 2016, hosting prime time after Hamish McLachlan’s highlights show (due to the time difference), they had banter each night at the change-over, the comparisons were stark to say the least.

Come Pyeongchang and Gold Coast, Hamish hosted prime time solo. And for whatever reason Abbey Gelmi joined him for Tokyo and Beijing.

Seven really must’ve been disappointed with Mel (echoing others here of her live ad-lib and quips ability), that’s what I immediately thought back then anyway. Although, she did get the plum gig of Seven News Sydney sport presenter.

2 Likes

Despite Mel’s efforts, the show still finished 15 minutes late.

Mel looks disinterested most of the time. Going through the motions. A stark contrast when she is hosting football (soccer). That’s where her real passion lies. She would be much better placed at network that has football rights.

Chrissie Swan and Sam Pang revealed a few details of tonight’s episode on Nova 100 breakfast today. Mel McLaughlin to again host, with Mick Molloy and Santo Cilauro.
Special guests are Damien Fleming, Jeff Fenech and Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou (via Zoom from Scotland) while Glenn Robbins also returns.
It will have a special tribute to Shane Warne and Rod Marsh.

3 Likes

Why are they pushing Mel? They have plenty of sporting talent in Melbourne. I could think of Rebecca Maddern or Jacqui Felgate to start with.

Both Rebecca and Jacqui have young kids at home.

Because that’s what Seven do very well. Push their worst talents forward whilst warehousing/ignoring the better talents. If they wanted a female surely they could use someone like Daisy Pearce or Georgie Parker to host this show than Mel.

3 Likes

To help build a Sydney audience most likely.

3 Likes

Georgie Tunny would be good too.

It’s an AFL show for AFL markets. Can’t Seven just leave it as it is?

3 Likes