The Front Bar

It will still be (as we bizarrely found out) live on Seven’s racing.com channel.

Seven have the rights to the other Victorian events outside of the Melbourne Cup Carnival (eg; the Caulfield Cup & the Cox Plate) until June 2020

Read what I said. I said 7 still have the rights to that (Caulfield Cup) post 2018. I knew it was June 2020 but didn’t see the need to put that in a Front Bar conversation. My point was, I thought it was mentioned that the show was back before the Caulfield Cup, not the Melbourne Cup as mentioned a bit higher up.

3 Likes

The Front Bar: Melbourne Cup

Thursday 1 November at 8:30 PM

2 Likes

The Front Bar is confirmed to be returning in 2019 at the Seven All Fronts today. And judging by this synopsis, a cricket version may be imminent…

1 Like

Apparently this was planned but the stumbling block was that Cricket Australia signed a beer partnership with Lion Nathan/XXXX whereas the show is backed by Carlton and United Breweries.

2 Likes

Heard a promo on 3AW this morning. Special guests are Bruce McAvaney, Francesca Cumani, Damien Oliver and Tony Santic, owner of three-time Melbourne Cup winner Makybe Diva.

Wow… look familiar? As seen on Talking Fishing on c31 here in Melbourne, (A very poorly made rip off… looks like a green screen but seems the items are physical and some are printed onto panels to look like doors etc)
My understanding is that this show is produced by David Kramer and not C31, so interesting they have gone to copy the Front bar…

9 Likes

There was a post about this I think last year?

Good luck to them.

1 Like

Oh that’s right, CUB used to have the CA contract for a long time didn’t they.

Could the argument not be made from Seven, that it has long been the sponsor of the show and therefore isn’t specifically sponsoring cricket? It is a tad awkward though.

9 Likes
1 Like

It’s now March 20, the night before the AFL season opener.

2 Likes

Mick Malthouse is special guest on Wednesday’s season premiere.
The episode will air on 7mate in Sydney and Brisbane at 10.30pm, however it is streaming nationwide via a pop-up channel on 7plus from 9pm AEDT.

EDIT: new opener and graphics for the first episode of the year.

1 Like

Funny as episode tonight! Some subtle changes, delivered on promos well. Kudos to producers.

Will be checking out the new Footy Show on 9Now.

1 Like

Front Bar host Mick Molloy was the ring-leader of the attack, as he publicly called Lyon out, saying unless he accepted an invite to appear on the show, he’d repeatedly show embarrassing footage of the AFL great hosting AFL Squadron back in the day.

(Garry Lyon revealed on SEN breakfast) he had actually offered to appear on the show but was knocked back by the Front Bar team who simply wanted an excuse to continually show the hilarious old footage.

1 Like

Tonight’s episode is a good example of the show being too Melbourne centric. WA football legend Ross Glendinning was special guest. The panel spent a lot of time talking about his time in Melbourne, including playing for North Melbourne in the first half of 1980s (winning the Brownlow Medal in 1983). The panel only briefly mentioned Ross’ role in WA’s win over Victoria in the 1986 State of Origin at Subiaco and the Ross Glendinning Medal controversy in 2003 when Ross announced Michael Gardiner as the winner when another player was supposed to win. Ross’ time at West Coast was simply omitted. When the episode airs in WA later tonight, local viewers may feel hard done by.

4 Likes

Don’t see a huge issue tbh.

That is because you support a Melbourne based team and live in Melbourne. Would you have an issue if the show just discussed interstate teams?

2 Likes