The Footy Show (NRL)

Should of been axed many many years ago.

Is it all over for the Footy Show?
Sports Confidential: Is this the end for the NRL Footy Show?

THEY claim there is no panic in the camp yet but if the dreadful Wednesday night ratings for the Channel 9 Footy Show are any indication, the show might be on its last legs.

Since moving the program from Thursday nights, the show’s figures have hit rock bottom with Nine now resorting to the old chestnut of cash giveaways to attract viewers. Reach figures in Sydney, Brisbane and regional areas are down 9 per cent but the network knows the average viewer figures are much lower.

On Wednesday night just 195,000 tuned in across Sydney and Brisbane, while 150,000 watched the millionth repeat of The Notebook in the same timeslot in the other major cities.

Even SBS is now beating the rugby league institution on occasions.

Nine spokeswoman Victoria Buchan says the show’s figures are down but that was expected because of how entrenched it had been on a Thursday night. “There was a lot of discussion about where it went,” she said. “But we decided that we couldn’t keep it on a Thursday because a lot of kids and families watch the show and they couldn’t wait up until after Thursday night football to watch it.

“We are prepared to do whatever we need to get people to turn on because we always knew the switch would be difficult. “This show has 22 years of history so we are trying everything to rebuild it.”
The Daily Telegraph

If The NRL Footy Show was good enough, I think that it should be rating at least 100k in Brisbane and maybe around 250k in Sydney knowing the strong interests that both cities have in the sport.

Personally, I don’t think that the night it’s airing on is the main problem with the show but rather the content. Those pre-season launch promos and the current “1 Million Cents” promotion hasn’t done much to improve the credibility either.

My suggestion: Axe The NRL Footy Show after this year (although that’s probably about ten years too late) and replace it with a regular NRL version of Footy Classified (as trialled during the finals season last year) - that way Nine would still have an NRL discussion program but one that’s not so taxing on the budget like The Footy Show is.

What a load of garbage.

Start Thursday Night Football at 7.35pm, which should give enough time for The Footy Show to start at 9.30pm (which is the traditional timeslot before this 8.30pm garbage started a few years back).

Nine are too cheap to commission other programming for Wednesday. There’s the real reason

1 Like

From what I saw, The NRL Footy Show ended near 11.30pm on Wednesday night after a 9.30pm-ish start. It probably wouldn’t finish until after midnight if it had to deal with Thursday Night Football (especially when you bring in overtime and post-match analysis into the mix) as a lead-in!

No need for a post-match. Make it the same as Sunday Afternoon Football. As soon as the final siren sounds, head straight into The Footy Show. They can even do post-match analysis on The Footy Show itself.

I’m sure when they did Thursday Night Football + The Footy Show early last year, the ratings were much better than the 200k Sydney/Brisbane its currently getting.

Of course, this means they need to find something else for Wednesdays.

1 Like

I watch all nrl shows except this one. I just hate it. Its quite embarrassing and it isn’t riding of the AFL footy show coat tails anymore being on Wednesday.

Continuing the discussion from Digital Radio:

I… it’s…
You answered your own question

I’m honestly amazed that it still won the Silver Logie on Sunday night.

Yes I know that the TV Week readership numbers are probably even worse than the ratings for The NRL Footy Show, but you really have to wonder how a program that has been known to be outrated by kids shows on ABC2 in a key market can win a “Most Popular” or even more dubiously, a “Best” award!

On a somewhat more serious note, according to the promos they’re now running a Two Million Cents (or $20k) competition. It seems that One Million Cents ($10k) wasn’t enough to bring the viewers in… :scream:

Id rather thrm give money to local nrl clubs good idea

I must be the only member that still enjoys The Footy Show. :confused:
Speaking of which, I actually really enjoyed the segment when the angry,old man from Guildford appeared on the show last week…

I happened to see that segment flicking channels. Diabolical.

It would be my least favourite NRL show.
First off it is long, Monday Night with Matty Johns goes for an hour and is full of content (except for that stupid dog thing they had). Footy show goes for 2 hours and they struggle for content and don’t review every game. Since Fox flicked up their game the footy show has just looked terrible next to it.

I dont think they should can it but change it back to Thursday night after the footy.
Also with Fox being able to cover every game it does make it hard for nine to pull those ratings.

Paul Harragon needs to come back to the Footy Show full time. He brings some sense to the panel.

Nice touch with the transition from segments back to the panel.

ZAC EFRON JOINS THE FOOTY SHOW LIVE
PLUS ADAM DEVINE, RONAN KEATING & DELTA GOODREM

Tomorrow night at 8.40pm on Nine

The 10-time Logie Award-winning NRL Footy Show will be boosted by a galaxy of stars when Zac Efron, Adam Devine, Ronan Keating and Delta Goodrem all appear live in the studio tomorrow night at 8.40pm on Channel Nine.

In Sydney ahead of the premiere of Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, Efron and Devine will make their first appearance on the The Footy Show, now in its 23rd year.

Ahead of the Grand Final of The Voice, the stars keep shining when coaches Delta Goodrem and Ronan Keating join the panel and take on the best of the Footy Show’s singing ranks in a not-to-be-missed lip sync battle, while Delta takes to the stage to perform her new single Enough with American rapper Gizzle.

“This show promises to be a sensational mix of star power from the screens of Hollywood to the footy fields of Earlwood – it’s got the lot,” Glenn Pallister, Executive Producer of The Footy Show, said today.

With State of Origin III to be played next week, Footy Show larrikin James Maloney takes us inside the new-look Blues’ camp while Footy Show team members Johnathan Thurston and Sam Thaiday do the same up north with the Maroons.

Ahead of all the Round 18 NRL action, hosts Paul “Fatty” Vautin, Erin Molan, Darryl Brohman, Beau Ryan and Brett Finch will keep you entertained and informed, as well as all new episodes of Footy Show favourites Small Talk with The Big Marn and Player Probe.

Is this a football show or a general entertainment show? I’ve never bothered to watch, so serious question.

Mostly the latter with a bit of football thrown in imo. Either way it’s atrocious

3 Likes

But it’s up against Mad as Hell & The Chasers, Criminal Minds & Offspring, It’ll get Beaten in Brisbane by a long way, but not sure about Sydney???

I agree. The NRL Footy Show should’ve been axed more than a decade ago!

3 Likes