The Footy Show (NRL)

yes.

just make a NRL version of Front Bar. Would suit the post-game format better and be a lot cheaper.

7 Likes

Another Nine bombshell. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Finally. They’re probably hoping this announcement gets lost in all the hype around Lisa / Today Show.

1 Like

Now there’s an axing from Channel Nine I’m sure many people will be celebrating!

Personally I think it’s at least 10 years overdue, but I’m glad The NRL Footy Show now seems to be part of the history books.

4 Likes

Nine’s up-fronts last week :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

So they lied, those dirty rotten scoundrels. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They also said:

3 Likes

Wow…that’s big news.

Hugh Marks doing a Lachlan Murdoch at the network? :open_mouth:

Note: Tom Elliott on 3AW radio just said the news, he couldn’t care less about NRL by the way, incorrectly saying “Nine have just axed NRL Footy Show”.

Saying what does that mean for the AFL version, which had a highly publicised and tumultuous year?

Sam Newman the only network original left!

1 Like

And an article from News Ltd

Yes - but that was their expectation at the time (Lisa continuing on Today). Surely the NRL Footy Show axing had been decided before the up-fronts.

That Fairfax report has changed its headline to “Channel Nine dumps Paul Vautin from The Footy Show after 24 years on air”. It seems The Footy Show may continue next year but with new name, format and/or presenters.

1 Like

WRONG - it’s being expanded to Monday, Thursday and Sunday.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/fatty-axed-from-nrl-footy-show-as-channel-nine-revamps-format/news-story/2d77d716bd3a1408706459568d62182b

1 Like

Oh well, the axing of Paul Vautin from the show is still pretty good.

Hopefully all other presenters are replaced for 2018 as well.

4 Likes

“new name, format and/or presenters” - sounds like a new show :slightly_smiling_face: only the channel is the same.

5 Likes

Not necessarily. Shows still have reviews etc to go through. It’s easier to just include it in material at upfronts than leave it out and invite questions.

I’m one of only a mere few it seems but I’m truly saddened to hear this news. Fatty’s been a loyal host of the show for 24 years, to see it end like this is a real shame.

4 Likes

Notice the headline says the show is axed but the actual article says at this stage it is only Paul Vautin that’s confirmed gone. Wouldn’t be click bait by SMH surely :thinking:

2 Likes

Could the new Monday night program be on at 7:30 (on 9Gem?) if the plan is to compete with Matty Johns on Fox Sports?

1 Like

There was definitely a different version of the story there earlier.

The original headline said:
Channel Nine axe The Footy Show after 24 years on air
The show has been axed to make way for a new one-hour program headed by Erin Molan.

They now say:
Paul Vautin out of The Footy Show with show under a cloud after 24 years on air
There was confusion on Tuesday over whether the show had been axed to make way for a new one-hour program headed by Vautin’s co-host Erin Molan with more of a focus on football.