The Footy Show (AFL)

I’m surprised Seven are allowing Bec to make an appearance.

3 Likes

Surely the outdated rule of network talent not appearing on opposing networks is dying out by now?

12 Likes

It definitely seems like it. This year especially there has been so much cross-talent.

2 Likes

In this day and age contracts that have been drawn in the last few years, agencies broker contracts that allow the talent to appear in other media commitments or formats, especially with the social media age.

So yep. Contracts aren’t as strict as they once were.
If Bec was a weekday anchor it may be a bit tighter though

2 Likes

So no show return then?

The Best of the Footy Show - 30 Years

Thursday 28 September 8:30 PM (60 min)
Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth

All the highlights from 30 years of the Grand Final Footy Show. The journey from the inaugural program in 1993, its role in giving rise to the AFL Footy Show in 1994, and its establishment of the Rod Laver Arena spectacles that became an integral part of AFL Grand Final week.

3 Likes

So they are going head-to-head with the Grand Final show of The Front Bar? It seems like this is a deliberate attempt from Nine to steal some viewers back.

1 Like

The style of humor just wouldn’t fly with the PC crowd these days. Similar to Hey Hey.
The “woke” version of The Footy Show with Dylan Alcott, Neroli Meadows etc was a massive failure.

4 Likes

I feel this returning yearly around Grand Final time would be nice.

3 Likes

I don’t believe that it’s a case that the format wouldn’t work; it’s more a case of finding a balance that will allow it to work mid-week. The Alcott version failed because the show was given an IMT-style focus and was far more interview-centric than the show had ever been. If Nine could somehow take the best elements from the former Thursday night and combine them with the best elements on the current Sunday version, they may have a format that could work these days.

Seven and The Front Bar do the comedic side of AFL pretty well, but the program itself is focused more on the game’s past. If Nine focused more on breaking AFL news and utilized 3AW/6PR and The Age as a major part of a new show, I think it would make for a decent offering.

5 Likes

The issue is they already do this two nights a week on Footy Classified. TFS was always more a variety show akin to Hey Hey.

3 Likes

9 have footy classified on the wednesday night now which I think works better for them. As a non-rights holder there’s only so much you can do (I know the original show was also during a non-rights period however a lot of what that show gave people has now been replaced by social media - instant access to the players etc).

I do think that Fox Footy show look at having a TFS style show (be it Best on Ground or something else) on a wednesday night following AFL360 at 8.30pm. I think that style of program is probably best suited there.

1 Like

True, the original Thursday format may have lost relevance today, and I’m not arguing for a Hey Hey-esque reboot of that format by any means; however, I am saying that a hybrid format of the show that brings together the best elements of all of Nine’s AFL properties across platforms under ‘The Footy Show’ or ‘Footy on Nine’ brand may provide a way for the brand to be reinstated on a weekly basis.

Wednesday Footy Classified could then be used as an off-season/trade period program.

Promo

3 Likes

This isn’t meant to be a comprehensive capping but to highlight how the show was presented tonight.

4 Likes

Was great! BRING IT BACK!

1 Like

I do think that the SFS boys could do a Grand Final Eve revue and other elements of this within and extended Telethon.

2 Likes

Interesting and makes sense given they had to be allowed to participate that the current Fox Footy guys had that as a byline whenever they were on screen.

1 Like

Sunday Herald Sun reporting that Nine are planning a new footy show for Sunday nights that would provide a wrap of the weekend’s AFL games. However, it would most likely air as a digital show on 9Now and won’t be like The Footy Show of old.

16 Likes

Not a bad idea. Hence another reason why Nine are winning Melbourne.

2 Likes