The Footy Show (AFL)

I agree with @parano1a - it’s not about the shows making money in their own right, but it keeps Nine as a whole relevant in Melbourne. AFL is so big that they need to have AFL people to be able to report on AFL. It’s pretty much the same people who are on 9News, Footy Classified and the Sunday Footy Show (with a few exceptions who don’t cross over). They can get a few exclusives thereby denying them from Seven. They can be critical of Seven when required. They can keep their talent away from Seven. Lose all that, less people tune into Nine instead of Seven which impacts their ratings across the board.

2 Likes

Im not doubting all that I’m not suggesting they cut back on their coverage. I just wonder why they don’t add more NRL content (and although this is just a suggestion from someone on here and not nine itself) I wonder why they have tried to add more NRL shows rather than a new AFL one.

You would have to ask TCN, although they do have their Monday night show which they added a few years back as well as the Sunday show.

It’s no different to 7 with the AFL. At a point, you get to market saturation and adding more doesn’t mean increasing anything. They get more return spending a $1 on AFL in Melbourne than they do spending a $1 on NRL (above what they currently spend). It’s all business.

3 Likes

It’s not really the same argument though as 7 don’t really spend on NRL content

Hot takes are pretty easy to come up with which seems to be the line he seems to like to follow

You’ve got to think part of it is because Seven aren’t bothering, also not having contractual ties with the game allows them to do things that seven may not be able to. It clearly performs well in the metrics that matter too (advertisers)

Sunday FS seems to be an easy way to find content to run in the southern states while the NRL version is on too

Last Sunday Footy Show for the season this morning, and another great edition of “What Caught My Eye” (or in other words, 5 minutes of Tony Jones bashing :joy:)!! Highlights shown this morning include TJ’s red carpet performance at the Brownlow, TJ being unable to get out of the water in the tank at the telethon and TJ’s awkward interview with Naomi Osaka brought up once again.

Respect for Tony though, he plays his role as the one they can joke about on the panel very well.

Billy Brownless also appeared from Geelong this morning.

2 Likes

It was poor form by Billy to poke fun at Max Holmes missing out on a premiership medallion.

1 Like

The final amount raised from last week’s My Room Telethon was $3,375,928.

3 Likes

Billy Brownless has since privately and publicly apologised to Max Holmes for the question he asked live on the show.

1 Like

The Sunday Footy Show will broadcast live from outside Adelaide Convention Centre this Sunday (April 16) at 10am AEST, to celebrate the first ever Gather Round. Guests include SA Premier Peter Malinauskas, AFL boss Gillon McLachlan, Andrew Jarman and Erin Phillips.

Note: the show will be shown on 30 minute delay in SA

1 Like

Yesterday was Tony Jones’ last Sunday Footy Show for a few weeks because he’ll be covering Wimbledon. Nathan Brown to move across the desk and fill-in as host whilst he’s away.

The guys certainly gave him a good send-off:

2 Likes

Next year TJ will be off to Paris. A big Au revoir for Chompers before the Games begin!

2 Likes

The show is so much better without Tony.

1 Like

Hard disagree. It’s not the same when he’s not there.

3 Likes

According to the Sunday Herald Sun, The Footy Show is making a comeback with a special celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Grand Final Footy Show spectacular expected to air on Nine in the lead-up to this year’s AFL Grand Final. Sam Newman confirmed he had been approached, but no other names have been mentioned at this point.

In addition to this, plans are underway for another special next year to mark the 30th anniversary of prime-time The Footy Show, which is likely to take the form of a “best of” clip show.

7 Likes

According to today’s Herald Sun, James Brayshaw refused the offer to appear on this reunion special.

McGuire, Newman, Lyon, Brownless, Maddern, Hutchison and Barrett are all confirmed.

5 Likes

Surprised Seven would have allowed it

1 Like

Maddern moreso considering her role with Seven News now.

6 Likes

Lyon too given his role at Fox. Good to see the competitors have let them come. They obviously don’t see it as a threat to anything.

5 Likes