The Footy Show (AFL)

Winning in Melbourne due to a show that hasn’t even been announced by the network yet? :thinking:

4 Likes

Their point would have been the network’s investment in footy-related shows continues to endear the Melbourne audience to them leading to increased market share. Especially considering they have not had the rights for 18 years now (wow, that long already!).

5 Likes

Still amazes me that The Sunday Footy Show is still on air, as well as Footy Classified (twice a week), and seem to do well in AFL cities, despite not having the rights to the AFL. Just shows if you do a show properly, people will watch.

As for this new Sunday night “recap show”, why not. If enough people are watching it on the digital platforms, it could then have a late night airing on the telly too down the track.

1 Like

You know what I mean. Nines continued investment into local production within that market. Seven is nowhere to be seen.

2 Likes

This reminds me of Seven’s digital/7Plus only show on Sundays after the final siren of their Sunday game a couple of years ago, but guessing it didn’t perform as hoped, as it ended up being axed I think, despite the promotion for it

2 Likes

The Sunday Session?

3 Likes

Would be an interesting one but I think it would need an airing on at least one of the channels to get a decent audience - even if it’s a later night airing or on 9Gem. I think the only show currently on after the games is Bounce on Foxtel/Kayo so could be good to get a serious look at the weekly round instead.

1 Like

Yes it was The Sunday Session. The main problem with this show was that it went live during the final match of the Sunday, the twilight match on Fox Footy.

The new Sunday wrap on 9Now needs to wait until the final siren has sounded on the late match. Remember in rounds 2 and 3 this season the late match doesn’t start until 6.50pm AEDT.

3 Likes

A Sunday night wrap show could air around 10.30pm on Nine (after the Late News) or potentially as early as 8.30pm on 9GEM.

4 Likes

Doubt it would be live except when matches run really late

Shane Crawford did a Sunday review show that was 9Now only a few years back, before Daisy Thomas did one on 7Plus

1 Like

Fox Footy does also have a serious review show, “First Crack” which airs directly after Bounce.

2 Likes

Yes but it airs later, rather than right away, is what I think ando was getting at?

1 Like

Full Time with Crawf was axed after one season (coinciding with his contract expiring).

Fiona Byrne writes today that the AFL wrap is expected to stream on 9Now at around 7.30pm Melbourne time on Sundays, before screening on the Nine’s main channel after 60 Minutes that night. She adds that Tom Morris is likely to be one of the presenters.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/tom-morris-is-expected-to-feature-in-channel-nines-new-afl-show/news-story/0319a2ac3df576ea380837531b454d70

1 Like

oh

4 Likes

Herald Sun reports that Leigh Matthews is joining Channel 9s’s new Sunday night football show. Matthews will be on a panel alongside Jimmy Bartel and Chief Football Reporter Tom Morris.

I think I read somewhere that the show will air on Nine’s main channel later in the night after being released on 9Now at an earlier time.

3 Likes

The deal should keep Leigh Matthews under the Nine umbrella given he also works for 3AW’s AFL broadcasts and appears on the station’s Wide World of Sports on Tuesday evenings (although Sunday Herald Sun’s Jon Anderson suggested last weekend that Matthews would leave 3AW at the end of 2024).

2 Likes

Confirmed this morning by Tim Watson on SEN.

Craig Hutchison said on the latest episode of his podcast The Sounding Board, with Damian Barrett, that the Sunday night football show will be known as Footy Furnace.

1 Like