The Doctor Blake Mysteries

Ah sorry, looks like funding for one then I’d suspect a case of wait and see. Ratings would have an impact I imagine.

i can guarantee this wont rate well . when the save dr blake mysteries group wanted and heard 7 saved it was to have dr blake not just jean . and coz of screens austtralia and film victorias stupid and judgement mental decision to drop craig ,it will now be a ratings flop

When they announced “The Blake Mysteries” telemovie, they said they were taking a wait and see approach about proceeding further. This gave me the impression that they are considering doing more without Doctor Blake if it is successful. But they might go back to the doctor if it doesn’t work without him and the issues with the star have been resolved by then.

1 Like

Makes total sense. Good on them for giving Nadine a go as lead.

Okay, so 7 have officially got cold feet then and have changed tack.

Last year when it was renewed it was commissioned for four telemovies per the Herald Sun.

That’s very disappointing to hear the further movies already commissioned hinge on ratings on the first. I can’t believe 7 is back tracking on the series so much.

Well, the telemovies were announced before the star was implicated in a serious sexual harassment accusation. You can understand Seven being nervous or at least cautious.

3 Likes

Not really. The cast is strong even without McLachlan and the writing and production values are superb (what no hate). The viewers didn’t just tune into to see McLachlan and his character’s relationship with Garner’s character.

Also 7 needs Australian drama. 800 words has been axed (though they’re still sitting on 8 episodes) and Australian Gangster is delayed pending legal cases.

The majority may not agree. Social media went into meltdown when it was announced the telemovie was going ahead with Doctor Blake.

It’s been proven multiple times that Social Media rarely impacts ratings (you know when they throw a tantrum claiming not to watch yet ratings don’t decrease) and has no sway over things. Secondly Social Media is never an accurate way to gauge public opinion or perception. It’s always the loudest vocal minorities that tend to be heard the most clearly.

I do get your point though, I just think it’s sad that 7 doesn’t have faith in it anymore and that one man has ruined it for everyone.

Absolutely and justifiably

3 Likes

Details of the spin-off movie series announced and fans are understandably not happy.

1 Like

it wont rate well and will be a waste of time and money for 7

2 Likes

I suspect it won’t cost Seven much. My bet is funding has already been allocated which is why they’re going ahead with the first installment. Local quota points would also come into the equation.

2 Likes

The first Blake Mysteries telemovie has a new title: Ghost Stories. It will see Jean (Nadine Garner) investigating two murders in Ballarat.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/first-look-at-nadine-garner-in-her-starring-role-on-the-set-of-the-blake-mysteries-ghost-stories/news-story/3c99831a146bef9380f44f83e6aaf836

1 Like

They’ve ruined this, maybe that’s harsh, something had to be done following Craig McLachlan allegations, but surely there were other options? Re-cast Blake?

That would probably be just as bad. They had invested a lot if money, so wanted to continue. But maybe they would have been better off writing it off as a loss or kept the cast on contract by paying them to stick around for a year to see what happens.

2 Likes

Filming for the first telemovie wrapped up in Melbourne this week.

2 Likes

I read some of Nadine’s interviews and l feel for her having this pressure about whether this will work without Craig.
I’ve read lots of comments online about this not going to be successful,but l hope viewers do watch this telemovie. It’s an Australian production and we should be supporting our local market, if this works the positive outcome will be more telemovies.

1 Like

And with strong female leads, could be another Miss Fisher or Halifax FP.

6 Likes

sorry i totally disagree there were a lot of fans who were trying to get the show saved instead of it being dropped when abc dropped i was one of them there was even a group and still is a group call save dr blake they went and email amd rang everybody to get this show saved with craig and not with out craig . i know they are livied what 7 has done and i dont blame them and i know they wont be watching 7 has done the wrong thing and the viewers will not watch it nor should they