The Circle (UK)

I’m sure there would be an apartment hotel that (off peak) wouldn’t mind being booked out for a 4-6 week period. They could even be a sponsor.

1 Like

I have to say when I watched the first episode I wasn’t sure it would work in Australia because it skewed so young, but the more I’ve watched I’ve become addicted to it and have completely changed my mind. I think it’s great tv and the storylines are better than any drama!

6 Likes

Definitely wouldn’t be a problem and it wouldn’t need to be filmed in one of the bigger cities. They could even film in WA or QLD to reduce costs. The UK version is filmed out near Manchester for that very reason.

2 Likes

Most television in the UK is produced out of Salford these days, I believe BBC and ITV have both relocated there recently?

The difficulty is they have to stagger the rooms across the building. No-one can be next to or on top of each other. From all accounts the UK show has around 500 staff and the logistics are crazy. Unfortunately the show would be more expensive to produce than Big Brother so I see if unlikely, as much as I hope to see it one day. Netflix may be our best bet.

Do they? What else is produced outside there? I just know it wasn’t produced there last year which is my point.

What would make this show more expensive to produce than BB?

The cliffhangers on this show are killing me :frowning:

2 Likes

I’ve just finished series one… moving onto series two this week. Gripping

1 Like

Been watching S2 in real time. Will move onto S1 once it wraps this weekend.

3 Likes

They are directly on top and next to each other… it’s a square of apartments isn’t it?

Not sure where you’re getting 500 from… Way too many staff. 50 max in my opinion.

1 Like

No, they are all diagonal from eachother. You can tell when they zoom out facing straight on to the building. I’m guessing they don’t want people (like Georgina) yelling so loud the others can hear.

Really though they don’t even need to have the contestants in the same block of flats… It could be done in a studio or something if they wanted to do it cheaper. And just have shots of apartments to make the audience think its in apartments.

Alex/Kate from season 1 recently published a video discussing behind the scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEV19aKF6eo

Some interesting tidbits regarding how rooms were serviced, why Georgina wears her sunglasses all the time and James/Sammie walks around half-naked, the positioning of the flat, the rooftop, the number of chats allowed per day, etc.

You don’t have to take it as gospel but he provides some great insight.

I am still confused why you think this would cost more than Big Brother though…

Huge response from @blackbox re The Circle on his podcast.

From 01:04:40

1 Like

It says a lot about the programming nous of the execs at the commercial networks when viewers are more in touch with trends and hot formats than the so called professionals. The show isn’t my cup of tea but I only had to see it reviewed on Gogglebox UK to realise the potential of the format and the appeal it would have to the young audience they seek. They keep rebooting the same old garbage and wonder why they can’t attract viewers.

3 Likes

Nice to know this show is getting some publicity here. It so could work and there are ways to make this cost efficient. The great thing about this show is the fact its in apartments. But with editing you don’t necessarily do it in apartments.

I am sure this format has been looked at by the networks but it is risky. And the only network that has been willing to take real risks in the last few years is 9 and they have a full slate. I am hoping 10 can take that risk and try a local version. Only need to air it for 4 weeks to see how it goes to begin with and then if it works can extend to 6 weeks the following year. Also if 10 think they have a full slate this could be a great 8:30 show 6 nights a week - even if its at the beginning of the year (2021) along with I’m a Celebrity.

1 Like

@blackbox what are your thoughts on the changes in season 2? I assumed you have finished season 1. A few friends in the UK didn’t like the change in the rankings and wondered what you thought. I started with season 2 so its all I really knew.

I’ve only watched a bit of 201. It’s obviously got a lot more money now and it looks good, I just felt I needed a moment to enjoy series 1 before moving onto series 2 so I’m taking a break for a week

1 Like

I love that idea! I’m upto date with season 2 and am loving the manipulation and Strategy going on, although I think a certain someone made a big mistake in the last episode and didn’t push hard enough!

1 Like

Sammie or Tim?