The Cheap Seats

I’m guessing it will be full of the videos that didn’t make it on to HYBPA.

The promo that is on Instagram:

Might be better on a Thursday in the Gogglebox timeslot. Or a Sunday when Graham Norton is on a break.

1 Like

Could’ve been good after Living Room on Friday’s, but that show is hardly a decent lead-in anymore.

I hope the show is cheap enough to produce that 10 give it some time to build an audience, tweak the format and change the day & time with what works, as they did with HYBPA.

1 Like

I feel like they have gone for that timeslot as it is not ‘owned’ by any show and perhaps they are looking at this as a year-round show

I’ll give it a watch despite barely knowing the hosts. I assume Tim is a comedian, hard to find much online about him, some info said he is a digital producer for Working Dog.

Great to see new content on Ten. Only show I watch on Ten these days is Gogglebox and that’s on catchup.

This has come from nowhere and good to see. Perhaps a new take on “The Panel” from all those years ago?? Good to see new content for post reality slots. Need more of this from 10. Ideally for 40 weeks they have 7:30 tentpole followed by 8:30/9pm Australian show (comedy/drama/factual) for at least Sundays-Thursdays. Then they can program the CBS procedurals.

Typical working dog… shows come from nowhere with little announcements prior of the show in development. 10 will hopefully give this a few months to warm up. It took two seasons for HYBPA to gain any traction.

7 Likes

Hoping Ten give this more of a chance to get its groove than they did for This Week Live
back in 2013

2 Likes

Love to see something developed as a older version of this with older opinions on stuff going on. Use older personalities like glen robbins, Kate langbrooke, kitty, Gretel, Marty sheargold?!?? Call it ‘grumpy old people’ and just have them passing judgement on popular culture

It’s sort of been done. Agony Aunts and Agony Uncles on the ABC.

So? When has Australian TV ever done anything original?

Quite often. It’s usually the ABC that innovates and the commercials who imitate.

2 Likes

Name an original ABC concept that wasn’t at least inspired or heavily borrowed from a British show first?

You Can’t Ask That.

1 Like

Yes he can

I’ll show myself out

14 Likes

Cheap Seats confirmed for 1 hour

1 Like

I feel like it would be a bit better as a half an hour show (like The Weekly) but I’m still excited for it

4 Likes

Let’s hope they have lots of different segments and guests.

I just have flashbacks to when the Project started and they tried to squeeze way too much in to half hour.
Having said that, I hope an hour isn’t padding.

A revolutionary idea, given the prevalence of streaming, and free to air schedules being “fluid”, ie shows starting at whatever time later at night, does a show like this need to be a binary choice of 30mins or an hour, who ways a 40, 45 or 50 min show is such a bad thing; discuss the issues but no padding

I think this show will be a very slow burn. No promotion. Then two weeks of Olympics. But with its off Broadway style run it can slowly find its feet.

1 Like