The Cheap Seats

So? When has Australian TV ever done anything original?

Quite often. It’s usually the ABC that innovates and the commercials who imitate.

2 Likes

Name an original ABC concept that wasn’t at least inspired or heavily borrowed from a British show first?

You Can’t Ask That.

1 Like

Yes he can

I’ll show myself out

14 Likes

Cheap Seats confirmed for 1 hour

1 Like

I feel like it would be a bit better as a half an hour show (like The Weekly) but I’m still excited for it

4 Likes

Let’s hope they have lots of different segments and guests.

I just have flashbacks to when the Project started and they tried to squeeze way too much in to half hour.
Having said that, I hope an hour isn’t padding.

A revolutionary idea, given the prevalence of streaming, and free to air schedules being “fluid”, ie shows starting at whatever time later at night, does a show like this need to be a binary choice of 30mins or an hour, who ways a 40, 45 or 50 min show is such a bad thing; discuss the issues but no padding

I think this show will be a very slow burn. No promotion. Then two weeks of Olympics. But with its off Broadway style run it can slowly find its feet.

1 Like

Molk from TV Blackbox called it a clip show on Twitter, I’m hoping for a bit more than that from it.

Never accurate or insightful.

6 Likes

He sure is blunt and to be honest sometimes I question what he considers to be ‘good television’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe a little bit like Tosh.0

Surprised they planned to have an audience for this? I don’t think the sports studio at como is really equipped to handle an audience either.

Perhaps that set was just used for testing / promos, they might use the Project studio (already has seating and used for HYBPA?) with another desk or something.

Could do.

From TV Tonight newsletter:

Congrats to Working Dog and 10 for keeping The Cheap Seats under wraps, not easy in this era. Shooting a pilot on Tuesday then a promo on air that night. That’s record time!

Cheap Seats looks like it was pencilled in for a late July premiere, but appears to have been brought forward. If anyone can, Working Dog can. But forget about previews or interviews as this team loves to fly under the radar.

4 Likes

Which is as it should be. Don’t announce something unless you are very confident it is actually going to work, when it is complete and ready.

The show will be released in Podcast form too, this one is under 10 Speaks where HYBPA? is independent from Working Dog.

1 Like