The Chase Australia

2 Likes

I reckon in 2021, The Chase Australia needs a format revamp that is more fast paced and exciting. Whilst The Chase still wins its timeslot nationally on a regular basis, it’s regularly beaten by Hot Seat on the East Coast, which in turn can affect Seven’s 6pm news ratings.

Any ideas on possible format changes for this show? Even reducing the length of the program, so it runs from 5:30pm-6:00pm?

1 Like

1 Hour game shows are terrible. Way to long. Change my Mind.

Maybe they should consider a change of host. Andrew O’Keefe is obviously passionate about hosting which isn’t anything bad but his OTT antics are incredibly annoying and it’s very off-putting. I don’t even bother with The Chase these days with him at the helm. I’d like to see someone like Larry Emdur be given a go at hosting.

3 Likes

But the good part of The Chase is that you dont really need to watch it from the beginning. You can tune in from anywhere throughout the show - and still know who’s in, who has left and who the chaser is.

I do like watching the UK version from the beginning, when i get the chance to, but i go in and out of our version. Not a fan of Andrew O’Keefe’s over-the-top movements. lol

1 Like

Agreed. I know there are plenty of others out there who like Andrew O’Keefe, but his rather over the top presenting style is one of the main reasons why I don’t watch The Chase Australia too often.

That’s not to say Eddie McGuire on Millionaire Hot Seat is much better though!

3 Likes

i didn’t mind Andrew O’Keefe on the weekly game shows of Deal or No Deal (when it first started) and The Rich List, but on daily game-shows, he annoys me a little. Sure, he’s not as annoying as Eddie though. lol.

AOK could stop flailing his arms around when he’s asking the questions. It’s so off putting. I don’t know how the contestants handle it.

AOK and Eddie have both been anchoring their respective game show timeslots for more than long enough, IMO! Time for fresh faces?

1 Like

Remember what happened when they replaced Burgo with Tony Barber on Wheel of Fortune?

2 Likes

Nobody was happy about that.

2 Likes

I have no issues with AOK nor the format for The Chase, it’s the only quiz show where there’s a decent amount of good general knowledge questions are asked. I hate Hotseat because even this sped up version is so boring. I don’t care about the contestants, I just want to see how many questions I can get right. Don’t mind AOK though, have found plenty of others who annoy me greatly and while he’s sometimes approaching that stage he’s not too bad.

5 Likes

Agree

1 Like

According to TV Blackbox, Seven is launching an Australian Version of Beat the Chasers, to air in primetime.

11 Likes

I had a feeling they would produce an Australian version. From watching some clips online it looks exciting and fast-paced. Hopefully it rates well.

6 Likes

Hit UK format Beat The Chasers comes to find Australia’s smartest

Seven today announced Beat The Chasers, a primetime special event series that supercharges its hit game show The Chase with over $500,000 up for grabs.

For the first time ever, the greatest quiz brains in Australia will try to beat four of The Chasers at once to have a chance at winning a massive cash prize in the grand final.

Featuring a team of Chasers - The Supernerd, Goliath, The Tiger Mum and The Shark – Beat The Chasers is based on the number 1 new format in the UK this year.

Angus Ross, Seven’s Network Programming Director, said: “The Chase has proven unbeatable at 5.00pm, so we can’t wait to supersize it with Beat The Chasers. The prize money is bigger than ever before in each round, and it builds to a thrilling, high-stakes finale.”

“We’re excited to see some of the country’s best brains test themselves against a formidable line-up of Chasers, with all the fun, tension and play-along we love – but dialed up to eleven.”

To be hosted by Andrew O’Keefe, Beat The Chasers will build on the dominance of The Chase at 5.00pm. The Chase’s audience has grown by over 7% year-on-year, winning every single week of 2020 to date.

Beat The Chasers was a huge hit when it aired on the UK’s largest commercial broadcaster ITV, increasing its slot average by 68%. With an average of 6.4m viewers and a 25 per cent audience share it fought off all competition in the 9pm slot. The series proved successful among young viewers too and was watched by an average of 24.6% of 16 – 34 year old viewers.

David Mott, CEO of ITV Studios Australia, states, “Beat the Chasers has proven itself as a dominant addition to The Chase family. This fast-paced quiz attracted a broad audience of quiz-lovers in the UK and we can’t wait to share it with Australian viewers. With the Chasers forming the greatest quiz team on the planet, it remains to be seen - can anyone Beat The Chasers?”

Those willing to try their hand at beating the Chasers can apply now at beatthechasers.com.au.

Beat The Chasers is produced for the Seven Network by ITV Studios Australia, and will be broadcast on Channel 7 later this year. Beat The Chasers and The Chase are created by Potato, part of ITV Studios and distributed internationally by ITV Studios.

3 Likes

I’m curious to see how it rates towards the eastern states

5 Likes

7 doesn’t have a great track history with Chase specials in prime time, if my memory serves me correctly - hopefully this twist on the format works better for them this time around.

3 Likes

According to terms and conditions, Beat the Chasers will be filmed in Sydney. I reckon it will take place at ITV’s new studios in Moorebank in western Sydney where the most recent season of The Voice was shot this year.

3 Likes

What really gets me, is when he is reading the questions for the chaser in the final chase, and it looks like it might come down to the wire, he increases his reading speed an insane amount. There are shows I’ve seen when the chaser only won because Andrew was reading the questions unfairly fast, something he never does for the contestants in the final chase. It must be infuriating for the contestants who lose.

1 Like