The Big Music Quiz

An Endomol Shine format going into production next month with Darren McMullen as host.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/television/darren-mcmullen-joins-seven-for-the-big-music-quiz-chrissie-swan-and-anh-do-get-weepy/news-story/9b7aea8cad55a081164d90185fa3c96e

This program doesn’t sound appealing to me at all. I don’t think I would watch it.

Personally, I hope that The Big Music Quiz will become the “You May Be Right” (now who here still remembers that short-lived program from a decade ago?) of 2016. But realistically, I think that The Big Music Quiz has a decent chance of being the network’s next smash hit because much of the viewing public will watch almost anything that Channel Seven puts on in primetime for some reason.

1 Like

Yet another attempt by Seven to recapture the magic of Spicks and Specks.

I fully expect Nine to announce a revival of Name That Tune should this be successful.

1 Like

This show is based on a French format called Le Grand Blind Test. Similar to what has happened to The X Factor in Australia, Le Grand Blind Test debuted on France 2 in 2003, was axed, then was revived by rival network TF1 in mid 2015 and has enjoyed great ratings since. It will be Darren McMullen’s second show on Seven. He hosted Minute to Win It before quitting at the end of 2011 to join Nine to host The Voice.
I think it will air right after the Rio Olympics.

1 Like

Ugh. Just as I had managed to purge it from my memory… The theme song was the first clue that YMBR was an absolute turd.

1 Like

I suppose it’s been 10 years since they last attempted to rip off Spicks and Specks.

Worth a try. I suppose with Ten building strong numbers with HYBPA last year Seven probably thinks that they’d easily break 1m with it.

what was that 5.30 Wilkins show called? Keynotes? Bring it back Nine! :stuck_out_tongue:

It does look like a polished version of Spicks and Specks. Not likely to work.

Now I just miss Buzzcocks. :confused:

1 Like

What Seven has to say about it:

Darren McMullen to host THE BIG MUSIC QUIZ

The ultimate, anyone can play, music quiz show is coming soon to Seven.

Darren McMullen will host THE BIG MUSIC QUIZ, a new music entertainment format which Seven has commissioned from Endemol Shine Australia.

The Scottish-born, Aussie bred presenter and actor will play conductor and MC as celebrities face off in individual and team-based challenges to a playlist of popular music covering all genres and eras.

Viewers at home can play along as music, screen, stage, comedy and sporting stars have their music knowledge tested on THE BIG MUSIC QUIZ stage.

The challenges come thick and fast while a live audience brings the noise in this massive, freewheeling musical extravaganza.

LA-based McMullen is looking forward to returning to Australia for the dynamic new series: “I’m really excited to be joining the Seven family and to be hosting new primetime shows in Australia. It’s the perfect time to try something different and Seven is the place to do that and more. I can’t wait to get started.”

Seven’s Director of Production, Brad Lyons, said: “The Big Music Quiz is the ultimate, anyone can play, music quiz. We’re delighted to welcome Darren back to Seven. He’s a sensational presenter and is the perfect fit for a big, fun, rollicking show like this.”

Endemol Shine Australia CEO, Mark Fennessy, said: “The Big Music Quiz is the next generation music entertainment show. A raucous, multi- platinum party featuring famous faces, hit songs and the biggest riffs on the planet. No matter how old you are, what artists you love, what lyrics you relate to or what melodies you’ve hummed, The Big Music Quiz is solid gold.”

Production on THE BIG MUSIC QUIZ commences next month in Melbourne.

Tickets to the recording at Melbourne’s Docklands Studios are available here. You must be 18 or over and be enthusiastic.

Check!

Bugger.

7 Likes

Just saw a promo during House Rules. Looks ok. Rebel Wilson is a good get :+1:

What time slot is this show likely to appear

I’m not sure…

Some big names there except Jakie O who has been like the kiss of death for any TV show. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seven really know how to put together a good promo. I had no intention of watching this but I might be swayed to give it a go now.

2 Likes

Jesus Christ that looks shocking

“We got fun we got music we got stars”

Kill me

3 Likes

It could air on 7.30pm Wednesday. As House Rules enters the fix it and front / back yard renovation stage it will require less nights. Also Seven will be determined to keep Sunday as reveal night.