The Back Side of Television

AUSTRALIAN COMEDY SPECIAL

THE LAST YEAR OF TELEVISION

COMES TO BINGE

BINGE today announced the Australian comedy special The Last Year of Television, created and written, and hosted by Mitch McTaggart, will premiere 31 December, 2022 on BINGE, home of the world’s best shows.

In this hilarious end-of-year special, Mitch takes an excoriating look at the good, the bad and the cringe of everything that has happened on Australian television this year. Expect jokes, relatable indignation, and a controversial take on your favourite or maybe your least favourite Aussie shows of the year.

Mitch McTaggart said: “Ask yourself how has the year stacked up compared with others? Has it been just as chaotic? Of course it has - or I would be out of a job otherwise.

“I am absolutely pumped to bring The Last Year of Television to BINGE viewers, prepare your favourite antacid or pillow to involuntarily cringe into, and let the savage world of television wash over you like a sad rock.”

BINGE Executive Director, Alison Hurbert-Burns said: “We are thrilled to have Mitch on board to remind us all about the Aussie TV that graced our screens this year.

“Nothing is off limits in this sharp year-in-review. It will make you think twice and have you laughing out loud as Mitch bids farewell to 2022 in style.”

In addition to The Last Year of Television, Mitch’s six-part comedy series, The Back Side of Television, which explores all the ridiculous, dispiriting and outright shameful moments in the wild history of Australian television, is coming to BINGE in 2023.

The Last Year of Television will premiere on BINGE on 31 December.

(Seen on SBS Viceland in 2020)

2 Likes

Another great watch this year - again surprised that it barely rates a mention around here.

I see they’ve added the last two editions (previously aired on Viceland) to Binge also.

5 Likes

I loved the segment on Underbelly especially watching television in 2020 on a 4:3 television without a set-top box and watching channel 9 when the TV is clearly set to 10 :laughing:

5 Likes

FIRST LOOK TRAILER FOR SECOND SEASON OF AUSTRALIAN COMEDY SERIES

THE BACK SIDE OF TELEVISION

PREMIERES 10 JULY ON BINGE

First look trailer and key art for the second season of the Australian comedy series, The Back Side of Television , created and written, and hosted by Mitch McTaggart, has been released ahead of its 10 July premiere on BINGE.

McTaggart returns for another excoriating look through the Australian television archives in a new six-episode series, which explores all the ridiculous, dispiriting and outright shameful moments in the wild history of Australian television.

Mitch McTaggart said: “Australian TV history has so much to offer, it’s a window to our very souls. Whether we like it or not, we’ve all been shaped by television in our lives. Across every possible genre - game shows, news, drama - it’s all vital context to understanding who we are as people.

“This series is huge. We’ve gone so far into the archives this time, we’re basically finding old tapes in air vents. Expect to see hilariously shocking stories about your favourite shows, and plenty you’ve never heard of. That’s what it’s all about - a wild expedition through a wild industry.”

The Back Side of Television Season 2 premieres Monday July 10 on BINGE and Tuesday August 1 on FOX8 at 8.30pm and available On Demand.*

https://binge.com.au/shows/show-the-back-side-of-television!18160 This series is excellent and I heartily recommend watching it. Will someone please put all episodes of “Carrot’s” on You Tube.

2 Likes

I found the episode on current news and its comparison to 80s news bulletins very interesting.

3 Likes

Splitting this out into its own thread because quite frankly it deserves far more attention than it gets.

Always interesting, plenty of lol moments thrown in for good measure, and Mitch’s delivery is perfect.

4 Likes

It is brilliant though I wished he pulled back on the swearing just a fraction as it feels a bit OTT sometimes and adds little to the show. I feel like its almost inserted as an easy outro for topics and that kind of cheapens the show a little bit.

It’s only a small thing because I love his takes - very funny and informative in equal measure.

2 Likes

My family didn’t believe me when I said there was a Play School mafia. I said don’t be fooled by the show’s pleasant nature, those are some mean girls behind the scenes!

The attention to research and detail in this show is amazing.

2 Likes

That was a bit of a shock

2 Likes

There was a Fast Forward skit portraying the ABC Playschool writing team, and their mean boss. Your post made me think of that.:joy:

I’ll have to check this out, never heard of it but sounds something that I will enjoy.

1 Like

it was on Big Girl’s Blouse, and yes seeing this episode of The Back Side Of Television reminded me of that!

YouTube: FastForwardAU

2 Likes

Thats the one haha :smile: yep you are right, not sure why I thought it was on Fast Forward.

1 Like

Big Girl’s Blouse, Fast Forward… All part of the same multiverse!

3 Likes

Indeed definetly nice to know there are other people aware of Australian classic comedy :rofl: :slightly_smiling_face::grinning:

1 Like

The Last Year of Television is back on Binge on December 28.

1 Like

This is so shit. How does it keep coming back?

Just to spite you.

2 Likes

Ok?

Yeah, as soon as you start liking it, they’ll axe it.

1 Like