Ten's Early Evening Woes

Does that mean the rest of Family Feud’s 501,000 total audience was made up of 55+? (about 215,000?) . It’s even worse than I thought.

Buddy, new first run Australian content that Ten owns and can control the costs on and exploit on catch up services, through social media is always going to be preferred to repeats of a foreign sitcom - which has basically zero appeal on catch up services, or social media.

In 2016 it is not just about overnight ratings. It does not matter if FF is across 3 channels. What matters is how many people are watching the show. It doesn’t matter when, how, or where. What matters is that Ten can sell advertising in all these views. The plays on catch up they can monetize. The clips on youtube. they can monetize. The social activity on Facebook. They can monetize. None of this can happen with the Simpsons.

What matters is cumulative views.

FF gets a much larger audience in 25-54 across all plays and devices than repeats of The Simpsons ever would in this day and age.,

Not to mention FF is a brand that Ten owns and defines the network. Ten has exclusive rights and plays to FF. The Simpsons is all over Fox8.

You want first run original content that you own and have exclusive rights to and you can monetize over all platforms.

That is FF - NOT The Simpsons.

You look at it in such a simplistic dated manner. Your thinking needs to catch up with the times buddy. Sorry.

1 Like

The last time I checked, Fremantle Media Australia owns the Family Feud brand/format. It just so happens that the current version of the show is airing on Ten.

Not if Ten actually schedules something at 6pm that rates. :slight_smile:

It does matter because FF is taking up 2 extra channels that could be better utilised. Overnight ratings/tv ad revenue are still far more important than revenue from online (eg FF channel on YouTube has probably made Ten less than $1,000 based on its 1.7m views). OzTAM’s new Video Player Measurements indicate not many online views even for the top programs.

Probably, but The Simpsons is a younger skewing program. And younger demos are more lucrative.

24 years of Simpsons on Ten isn’t forgotten easily. Even now, if you ask what show defines Ten, more people would say Simpsons than FF.

Your argument would be valid if Family Feud actually rated on tv and/or online. 286,000 (under 55) on 3 channels is not good, and that should be compared to the combined 7/7TWO/7Mate and Nine/GEM/GO! audience.

Family Feud would work far better at 7pm against lesser competition. 800k (no simulcast) is not unrealistic IMO. Anyone agree?

You ignored the global picture argument which is that first run original Australian content exclusive to ten is more lucrative and beneficial to the network overall than repeat american programming that is shared with a competitor.

And that’s the bottom line. And that’s why we have FF at 6 not The Simpsons

If Ten could make more money out of The Simpsons at 6 in the long run, it would be back in that slot.

And to your point on demos. Ten programme and sells 25-54. That is the most lucrative demo on Tv as that is the biggest bracket of audience by far. That is what brings the most income, and that is why all 3 networks programs to win and sell 25-54 primarily.

FF brings in a faaaar bigger aud then the Simpsons in 25-54. We know this for fact. Ten has issues many charts that show this - and you just have to go back through the ratings history to see this. It’s not opinion it’s fact

9/9go/9gem and 7/7two/7mate at 6 out perform one/ten/11 at 6 in 25-54, but the race is very tight in fact. 9 news and 7 news both have more 25-54 viewers than FF on ten, but only just - as new skews very old. FF skews younger. 7Two skews incredibly old and gem tends too as well, so those guys don’t bring in much 25-54. So the 3 ten channels are actually very competitive with the 3 9 and 7 channels at 6. Actually more competive than other slots on ten.

We all know then ten gets a ratings as a network whole about 30-40% Lower than 9 and 7. It is a less watched network. Yet at 6 across the 3 channels - ten is only about 20%!behind its competitors. So in fact FF outperforms the network average. And that’s why it’s there! (I get daily comprehensive demo ratings from the networks to know this - I’m not relying on media spy)

But the ratings is just one part of it. See above to my very first sentence for the overall reason.

You can argue all you want. But if your logic was true, the Simpsons would be back at 6 already. But it’s not.

1 Like

With TV classification rules changed, I’d go with something like this.

5:00pm - Ten News
6:00pm - Family Feud
6:30pm - Stripped Reality (so this week, Celebrity Mon-Thurs; Living Room Fri)
7:30pm - Drama/Comedy (so this week it would be Monday: CSI, Tuesday: NCIS, Wednesday: Madam Secretary, Thursday: Law and Order, Friday: Graham Norton (or move The Good Wife)
8:30pm - Nightly with Shaun Micallef (Late night style show, other options obviously available but Micallef seems like a decent fit, hell maybe Rove)
9:30pm - The Project

News stays at five, Family Feud stays at 6 where it’s done somewhat well, stripped reality counter-programs the second half of the news hour as offered by 9 and 7, with classifications rules changed their imported shows can be moved to 7:30 to offer an alternative to the reality offerings of 9 and 7 and again counter-programming at 8:30 to offer something different to the extended reality shows and afterthoughts on 9 and 7. The Project remains at 9:30 as a fairly light newsish option.

Saturday and Sunday could remain as is.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I like it except for the 8:30pm idea.

1 Like

I agree except get rid of Family Feud and start the tentpole realities at 6pm, followed by a second tentpole at 7.30pm/8pm. The Project at 9.30pm. US shows can be live fast-tracked and encored on a multichannel.

I’ve seen some of you think that it’s best for ten not to have another crack at breakfast tv. I think the only way ten can succeed is to revive the Good Morning Australia branding. Have a good pair of hosts like Matt White and Sandra Sully. People will be familiar with the GMA branding, So there’s a few views just there. I think it would work.

Thoughts?

Yes I’d also really like to see TEN get back into the breakfast television space, both Sully & White would be excellent hosts for such a program but I don’t realistically see this happening any time soon due to their current focus on building up their prime time schedule and previous failed efforts.

The only way I can see them starting out again is slow and steady, a short snappy news bulletin in the mornings as a better lead-in to Studio 10 which they can grow on an mould into a competitive breakfast alternative to the trash that is Sunrise / Today Show.

3 Likes

Third time’s the charm.

Maybe during the glory days of 2009 and 2010 Ten should have thought about a breakfast program, rather than doing the 2011 news revolution. Things might be so much better today.

3 Likes

Exactly. They did it once. Failed. Did a second time. Fail again. Both tries came at huge expense. But if they’re ever to take on Sunrise and Today again it’s going to have to be something very unique and inexpensive. Good luck finding anything on both counts :wink:

1 Like

Ten need to get their 5pm bulletins in order before they even think about another breakfast show or news expansion. End of story.

4 Likes

I think I’ve seen a bit of an improvement over the past 2 months. The stories a bit more comprehensive maybe?

Surely there needs to be a review into The Project and its future going into 2017. It can’t continue like this, particularly 6.30pm. Is there any positive ratings spin for the 6.30pm portion? Regularly in the 300s and never wins demos. Meanwhile, Ten Eyewitness News is in serious decline and Family Feud is a 3 channel disaster. What is the solution to this mess?

6:30 might be a problem but I doubt any review is needed. The Project + Neighbours (which comes at minimal cost thanks to Channel 5) + Mash seem to be working a treat. A review might be required at 6pm. It might be time to put Simpsons rpts on Eleven.

Starting halfway through 7 and 9 news can’t help. And Family Feud realistically would provide very little lead in given that it’s aimed at a different audience.

I’d like to see the Project at 6pm to compete with 7 & 9. It would also flow better having Ten Eyewitness News as the lead in.
Family Feud could then move to 7pm, to provide an alternative to Home and Away and A Current Affair. This would also give WIN the opportunity to move their News back to 7pm where it wouldn’t have to compete against Prime/7Qld.

3 Likes

You do realize that FF and The Project 630 perform stronger in 25-54 and 18-49 relative to 7 and 9 News, than Ten’s schedule average, right?

That is - FF / Project 6.30 do better demos than the average perf of the network.

As long as they are out-performing the network average - they won’t be going anywhere

Who says it cant be repeated at 6pm as well? Or alternatively How I Met Your Mother put at 7pm. Wow some cant look outside a box.