Ten's Early Evening Woes

How much more can they pull back?

They already have a fairly skinny schedule. Cutting massive costs will only see further declines in revenue. It’s a vicious cycle.

4 Likes

Programming wise Family Feud should be a goner. I’m a Celeb with its massive budget isn’t rating enough to be sustainable. Output deals axed. More cheap and nasty programming like Jamie Oliver filling up timeslots

I’m pretty sure I’m a celebrity would be safe. Along with gogglebox, really has been the ONLY good news for ten this year.

This is so disappointing for them and hopefully not the start of a spiral further down. The only way out of it is investing in oz content, which looks to be harder and harder for them to do. If they can’t get their hands on the cricket then they will be officially dead.

4 Likes

Another option might be to start the Project at 6.00pm (90mins) have the first 30 minutes more news focused. It would be even cheaper than running the local news into 6.00pm.

Early evening woes continue to get worse. I think the forum is in rare 100% agreement that Family Feud should be axed.

Any fresh ideas for CBS? Can CBS do the unthinkable and fix what Ten could not for the last 7 years.

2 Likes

I agree, FF has had its run.

2 Likes

Can sunday Project show get axed? I remember that 10 added a Sunday Edition of The Project at 6Pm (30 mins) in 2012, however it didn’t work. This year, the Sunday Project retried it in its 6:30pm time slot. Sadly, there was little appeal for this show. I am thinking that 10 should ditch Sunday Project and Sunday family Feud. Because It’s not working in its time slots. Ten is on the cusp of failure.

2 Likes

They need to stop this put-axe-put-axe routine.
Keep The Sunday Project there for a year or so and if by that stage it hasn’t started to gain traction, then axe it.

Personally I enjoy Family Feud so I wouldn’t like to see the axe fall on it, but I think it would work better in a 5:30 or 7PM timeslot.
Rejig Eyewitness News to 30 minutes and then show another (national?) bulletin at 6, or vice versa?

3 Likes

After about three and a half years, Family Feud has run it’s course and will probably be cancelled before overly long.

But Ten needs to stick with The Sunday Project for now. If it’s rating appallingly this time next year, maybe the network should consider axing the show but definitely not after only six weeks or so.

4 Likes

Quick! Fetch Karl! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

you come up with axe, axe, axe - well, why don’t you come up with alternative programming strategies if you want everything axed?

8 Likes

Well, they’ve finally axed Family Feud.

What’s the next show to fail at 6pm? They’ve tried just about everything.

Kill off Neighbours by moving it to 6pm on Ten?

Just for the record, this is what they’ve tried weekdays at 6pm:

Family Feud (2017-18)
Family Feud simulcast (2014-17)
Modern Family (2014)
Sochi (2014)
The Simpsons (2012-14)
The Project (2012)
Ten News (2011-12)
6pm with George Negus (2011)
The Simpsons (1993-2011)

2 Likes

Not such a bad idea. Not the killing part but the 6pm part. They could try it out.

If it doesn’t work, it can just go back to Eleven.

1 Like

they can’t actually kill of Neighbours, the reason its surviving is because of the UK TV deal.

And Ten need it to meet drama and content quotas. Also, it’s partly funded by Film Victoria.

1 Like

Here we go again…Yes, FF wasnt doing the greatest, But honestly, I don’t know what they could put there. There is talk of Pointless but that sounds a bit meh. FF was good as an alternative to the 6pm news.

1 Like

90 minute news was just too long. It should be kept to one hour, but starting at 5.30pm instead of 5pm. Have a new game show at 5pm against Hot Seat and The Chase.

1 Like

Could a ‘super extension’ of The Project (6pm-7:30pm) be an option? It’d flow better from the news. Increase Project’s exposure and reach. Carrie’s reported astronomical salary would also then be more reasonable.

Or split it up: “Project at 6pm” > Neighbours (main channel) 6:30pm > normal Project from 7pm kas per 2009-2010)?

This is of course very unlikely to happen and be torn to shreds here, but anyway.

They also tried Bold and the Beautiful in the 6pm timeslot during the summer ratings of 2008-09. Unfortunately, B&B was unsuccessful and from Australia Day (26 Jan 2009), The Simpsons repeat was moved back to 6pm. the Bold and the beautiful moved back to 4:30pm.