Ten's Early Evening Woes

And then they tried The Project an hour earlier from 6pm-7pm, which failed. Ten has literally tried everything. There’s nothing wrong with going back to what worked in the past. Simpsons/Neighbours/7pm Project worked.

Especially Nine. They should do it now with a 5pm-6pm bulletin and slowly eat away at Ten’s dwindling news audience.

1 Like

I don’t know why people keep saying that worked. News was getting 1.5 mill plus most nights against the simpsons. The percentage gap is still about the same, if not slightly improved in those 6:00 and 6:30 slots.

I must say your persistence to go back to the future is relentless. But you seem to forget that they did bring back The Simpsons to Ten at 6pm on weekends in 2012 but it failed and then again on weekdays in 2013 and that failed too. The End. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

News would probably not do much better, Neighbours - who knows? Another game show - expensive and possible fail.

It’s really difficult for Ten, moving news to 5pm worked while it did, but looking back, long term it was a mistake.

1 Like

How could it fail if they promoted it from Saturdays in 2012 to everyday in 2013? It lasted all of 2013 and early 2014 before their stupid 25-54 ideology was brought in. Simpsons has never failed :slight_smile:

Ten has tried everything, what else is there? Neighbours at 6pm?

Buddy if the simpsons didn’t fail at 6 it would still be in that slot today.

2 Likes

Wow didn’t know it went that low.

Well like we have all said Ten have literally tried everything at 6

News
Negus
family Fued
The nanny
The simpsons
Studs
Level 23
Breakers
Raymond
Friends

Everything has failed!

But, I maintain - if you want to rebuild the network - News at 6 is the best option. Australians seem to love their news at 6. Yes it would take time. Years. But with the above list - I still think News has the best shot long term.

4 Likes

Don’t forget Jeopardy and Taken Out! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Taken Out.

Please let me forget.

and
The Bold and the Beautiful
The Brady Bunch (lasted one episode)
Out of the Blue
Don’t Forget the Lyrics
Guerrilla Gardeners

Australians love their news at 6 on Seven or Nine.

Back in 2011 the news revolution got a massive amount of promotion and got absolutely nothing for it. They simply don’t have years to make any show work. Didn’t Murdoch say Breakfast would take 10 years to be successful? It just doesn’t happen.

…because the presenters of those bulletins are some of the most popular and influential in the country.

It’s not stupid if advertisers only want to advertise on shows that target that demographic. If you can’t attract the advertisers then your show can’t stay on air.

Some shows stay on air with average or low ratings but they still attract the advertisers so that’s why they’re still there. I think that applies to many Ten shows.

1 Like

I agree. Simpsons is no exceptions to this rule on Eleven. Neighbours too, neighoburs would have been given the chop long ago if it still didn’t draw a big fanbase/advertising in the UK. Australia is not in love with either shows anymore.

1 Like

I don’t think that Australia has really been in love with Neighbours for at least 20 years! The fact that there’s an overseas market for Neighbours, as well as the show being a top up for Ten’s Australian content/drama quotas are the only reasons why it’s still on the air IMO.

The Simpsons probably should’ve ended around 2007 when the movie came out, but that’s a debate for another time and thread.

2 Likes

Could Ten air Feud over 4 nights - from Monday to Thursday as something different? With Feud on 4 nights a week instead of 6 - it could mean less is more, and some viewers may return, even if it is in small numbers (but better than nothing)?

For Friday nights - Ten could air a “Sports Tonight” type show to promote the weekends games OR air 90 minute version of The Project (which can include weekly highlights and/or an extended weekend whip-around in the show)? And test waters there? Seven and Nine will dominate Ten’s shares due to the AFL and NRL, so Ten having little to lose.

If numbers Mon-Thurs rise to an average of 400k or so, would that be considered a success? As its currently average what, 350k or so? But ideally, anything 500k is still unacceptable, and none of us have all the answers. Bummer!

It’s a dying show. Unless you think it’s suitable to repeat seasons 2-15 and ignore the more recent seasons, no one will watch, and repeating decades-old seasons which have been seen time and time again by fans means there won’t be a big audience for the classic episodes either. It’s a 11 or One-tier show now.

Neighbours or maybe a short, snappier, 30 minute version of The Project with a different name leading into TP. Like a youthy news bulletin. I’m spitballing but they need something homegrown and distinctive in the slot which will fare well against the local news on the Big Two. At this stage, old cartoons and a hobbit hosting a gameshow won’t cut it.

3 Likes

I think Sunday edition of FF at 6pm wouldn’t work as it was trumped by 7 and 9 News. Look at Family Feud Sunday - under 300k. Not very good. I think maybe just find other things e.g. Modern Family. that way it would work well.

Ten already have the answer. Why not studio 10? Fast paced, get alternate hosts that suit early evening and rotate depending on the night of the week, mix a bit of celebrity, with hot news of the day, in depth convos on today’s issues, some news headlines? Replicate the morning show without the advetorials of course?!?! Have it from 6pm until 7pm as a leadin for a snappier 30 minute project. Sarah Harris could be the main anchor, or gorgi ???

1 Like

As reported on TVTonight

1 Like