Ten's 4th channel

I highly doubt Ten will launch a 4th channel this year. Though I could be completely wrong.

I didn’t know Foxtel has shares in Ten. What exactly does this mean… do they partly now own Ten … not SC10 ?

Does this affect any of Ten’s programming ? I remember some deal where Foxtel would get first picks for shows with Ten.

So it would be likely a new 4th channel would be something that Foxtel has input on ?

I don’t think ten will launch a fourth channel either but it should be considered as they could then fully utilize their CBS library. I still think a crime channel is the best fit for them. Then they could focus on light entertainment or Australian content on their main channel.

They could easily have NCIS repeats every night at 6:30 or Law and Order. They have many crime shows including Law and Order franchise, CSI franchise, NCIS franchise then others like Blue Bloods, Madam Secretary, Good Wife, Hawaii Five-0 etc. They also have local shows like Rush that they once aired.

There are way too many crime shows on the main channel always wondered why that was. Only NCIS really rates well these days though.

Maybe something like this with say older episodes of the shows https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_%26_Investigation_Network_(Australia)

Lexington did say “I hear that the plans are a foot for Ten’s addition to the ‘new’ TV channel landscape”.

Foxtel has had shares in Ten since June.

I would’ve thought so, as it would benefit Fox and Ten

Plans are afoot - could just mean the HD channel. Will have to wait and see.

They need to get on with livestreaming their channels not just some of it. Maybe they fear they will lose their already low numbers that watch their shows on tv , by streaming it. Or a cost thing.

People dramatically over play the impact of Foxtel’s shareholding. Their ownership doesn’t give them control, and Ten’s corporate responsibility is to all shareholders.

There’s some agreements that Ten might make with Foxtel, but they are only ones that could otherwise be justified without the Foxtel stake.

4 Likes

In the UK, CBS have their own channels on Sky, Virgin and I think a couple are on Freeview as well. CBS Reality might do well here.

What I hear now is that a 4th ‘unique’ channel is a while away. I also believe we may see something on TEN HD this week.

3 Likes

In this day and age, surely most of the daytime programs (especially the US ones, can’t really comment on local content) that Ten currently air would be produced in HD?

Realistically, I’m sure that Ten will have plenty of native HD content to justify a fulltime simulcast of the main channel!

I wonder how much of their own programming is done in HD though, Family Feud is SD on One right now, The Project is most likely SD, Ten News likewise, though Sydney might be; and they might not bother doing things like I’m a celebrity in HD - though that’s probably just a matter of just doing the edit in HD.

The US content might well be the bulk of Ten’s HD and a lot of it would be stranded on Eleven.

A Ten HD with opt out programming when they were showing SD stuff on the main channel might be unlikely, but it would be great for making the best use of their content.

1 Like

Yeah…good point.

I think that the Pyrmont-studio produced content might be in HD, because I remember that the graphics quality on Studio 10 and Sydney/national bulletins looked a bit dodgy for a while before becoming clearer.

In 2007 even before the start of the branded 10HD, most of Ten’s Australian programming on its channel 12 simulcast was in HD. Such as Idol, Thank God Your Here, Rove etc. The news out of Sydney was also in HD (late News, Sports Tonight).

At the time the LCNs used were 10 in SD, 12 in HD plus 11 ans 100 as a program line up loop.

My recollection is that the news graphics were HD, but the studio cameras and filmed content weren’t.

This clip would seem to back that up, the watermark would suggest it is certainly from a HD feed:

they do, and it will be.

I believe Feud is SD, Project is HD and news is SD…

Correct. Most of the network is setup this way I believe, except for Brisbane which has SD graphics.

1 Like

Confirmed in todays Oz by the Ten CEO: NO 4th channel offering from Ten.

He says it would add costs and erode audiences and he believes they need focus on Ten, One and 11.

If a 4th channel is launched (but he sounds VERY against the idea in numerous quotes) its would be “something very different” to what is already out there.

Interesting. Seven and Nine still follow each other. Sounds like Ten doesn’t have deep enough pockets or believe it’s existing channels are strong enough to launch a 4th.

Ten HD also confirmed for March 2

Studio cameras in Sydney are definitely HD. So are graphics.

1 Like

Report in the Aus and TVT confirm Feud will be in HD. Hopefully the news is as well.

I like watching Nine News in HD.

Has it been confirmed if it is MP4?

1 Like