Ten's 4th channel

A post I made in the HD Broadcasting thread got me thinking about what MiGHT have happened…

IF Ten was still on Channel 0 in Brisbane and Melbourne at the end of the analogue area, would the Australian LCN configuration have been changed to incorporate 0 into the Network TEN configuration, so Channel 0 could remain on that number on digital in those cities?

Or would TEN have taken this opportunity to rebrand 0 as TEN in Melb/Bris.

For multi channels for 0, I guess they would have had to use 11-19 anyhow.
I don’t think a multi channel LCN range of 01-09 would have worked, whereby you had to enter 0 first (then the 1 or 2 etc).

The U.S. system seems easier to understand to me.

etc instead of random numbers all over the place.

Problem is that the real channel numbers are near useless here, the networking means people long ago started tuning their TVs either by letting them auto scan into sequential numbers, or something very close to the Ten = 1, ABC=2, SBS=3, Seven = 7, Nine = 9 combinations.

Maybe some regional areas might have preferred different channels? But given WIN didn’t push to be given 4 instead of 8, I don’t think they would have cared either.

Having a dot in there doesn’t really change things - Ten are welcome to use 101 or 102 as channel numbers.

Personally, I think that the current system of LCNs works fine. Why fix something when it isn’t broken?

I can see why Ten don’t follow the convention of using 20-29, 30-29, 70-79 and 90-99. Being squeezed between the ‘legacy’ LCNs and the multichannels means channel surfers get to sample Ten’s channels on the way up the dial.

That being said, I have a fondness for how Freeview works in the UK.
BBC One = 101
BBC Two = 102
ITV = 103
C4 = 104
C5 = 105

No LCNs wasted and they’ve even categorised the EPG somewhat, with certain categories of LCNs being grouped grouped together e.g. Kids between 120-129 and News between 130-139.

2 Likes

But isn’t this all the same as Ten channels being on 10,11,22,13,14,15? They just need to have 1 relaunches as 12.

Why not put Ten HD on 100

It’s harder to tune in. 1 is closer to the other channels if you’re surfing up and down and it’s only one button to press 1.

On my TV, all the channels are grouped by ownership. So I get all the ten channels first then all the ABC, SBS, etc. I didn’t even need to set it up this way it seems to be factory.

The early 100s is the HD channel area, though even then it falls down - 105 is BBC Three HD, because despite 5 being Channel 5, they don’t run a HD channel on Freeview, so they get skipped.

In general you just get things like BBC Four on 9, ITV3 on 10, E4 on 28 - almost entirely random numbers. Only when they label the channel after the number do you get something logical, like 4seven, which is on 47.

Ten Comedy might work if Ten strikes a long term deal with Comedy Central

1 Like

I would like to see Ten not focus on doing a fourth channel (unless you can really count Ten HD as a fourth channel). I think their efforts should be focused on reinventing themselves somehow with news and their entertainment. Focus on less reality. I guess though the argument against that is their focus is to bring more young viewers.

I can only count two that I know of dramas they have that count towards Australian content - Neighbours and Offspring. (Googling for the Ten 2017 launch, because I am pretty sure that the announced a few more aussie productions) Note - just found an article - found the list of Aussie productions they have in their line up - so my argument for more aussie content - has been destroyed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ten HD should similucast the main channel 24/7. Unless they have worthy hd content and docoumentraries they want to be on exclusively on the HD channel like they had when they HD breakaway programming.

LCN’s for Network Ten
1 - ONE (SD general entertainment male-oriented channel)
10 - Ten (SD main channel)
11 - Eleven (SD general entertainment youth-oriented channel)
12 - Ten HD (HD simulcast of main channel)
13 - Ten Comedy (SD Comedy-oriented channel)
14 - TVSN (SD datacasting channel)
15 - Spree TV (SD ditto)

Hopefully Ten Comedy isn’t reruns of Graham Norton 24/7 :smiley:

Or Raymond :stuck_out_tongue: LOL

1 Like

Ten HD will begin simulcasting on channel 13 from 3pm on 2nd March 2016.

8 Likes

What is your source JBar ?

A reliable technical source.

Yeh! - I love retunes - anyone else sick or retuning their multiple TVs, PVRs, PC tuner cards TV dongles etc etc etc?

It’s well worth keeping in mind that sometimes, a good media enthusiast may need to protect his/her sources on info about a new channel or a relaunch just like how a political reporter sometimes needs to protect his/her sources on the latest scoop from parliament! :wink:

2 Likes