Ten's 4th channel

Family Guy is on Seven Mate.

Hence it can’t air on a FTA FOX8 (sorry, should have worded that better).

1 Like

Do you think we will finally see an additional 4thchannel with CBS owning Ten?

No, not for a long time, if ever.

Not until they can work out a direction for the network.

Instead of them launching a fourth channel, I think that a reinvention of either One or Eleven as a CBS channel (CBS Drama, CBS Reality) would be more likely.

5 Likes

and where is the sport on One gonna end up. As they have some sports to show

I think it’s pretty obvious that it could all stay on ONE or whatever they do/don’t decide to call it, same as how 7mate airs second-tier sporting content as well as 9Gem etc even though their channel direction and focus is typically not that of a sporting nature when it constitutes quite a low portion of the actual content shown.

Are you thinking someone such as a community Television provider such as RTV which was previously broadcast in the state capitals? Or maybe make a bit more money off Bruce and let him extend Gold to the capital cities?

As if Bruce would want to give Ten/CBS any more money!

His behaviour to date suggests a petulant ego-maniacal person who doesn’t play well with others, especially when he’s lost in a confrontation with them.

I think an extra channel won’t happen for a year; then it may be a CBS…something, depending on what CBS’ plans are for Ten, One & 11. I agree with earlier comments that the current stable of channels needs to be sorted first.

For those of us in WIN-land, somehow I doubt Bruce will be interested in adding a new channel anytime soon either (when’s the current WIN-Ten affiliation agreement due to be end? 2021?)

It would be about then I reckon, I think it was reported they went with 5 years along with the Nine/SC deal. I wonder however if there are clauses that after all the latest goings on though CBS could cancel/renegotiate anyway.

1 Like

I hope so. Wasn’t there was mention that existing contracts aren’t enforceable when a company goes into administration?

2017-06-13:

…ridding Ten of the burden of these contracts is more likely achievable if the network is placed into administration. Under that scenario, the contracts can more easily be reset.

I wonder what the legal position is.

Perhaps that’s for the programming contracts that ten pays for as opposed to a contract for an affiliate agreement where WIN is paying ten.

I know some would like to see 10 get a new multichannel but…

10 is already struggling to provide enough quality content for their main and two multichannels that they have. IMO they shouldn’t worry about adding a new multichannel and instead exploit All Access as their ‘multichannel’ where they can offer exclusive content and new shows which wouldn’t be on mainstream TV. TV is going to be streamed in the future so 10 has to get there before the other networks get there.

5 Likes

Ten is the only metro network that still has datacast channels - they have two. Presumably they are paying their way more than a fourth channel would?

1 Like

I imagine so.

I’d actually go as far as suggesting that Ten might even be better off merging 10 Bold & 10 Peach into a single multichannel which can air a variety of stuff from overrun sport coverage to Neighbours, the legally mandated children’s programming and some second tier content from the CBS library. The type of multichannel that Seven promised 7TWO would be and was for a short time, before the launch of 7mate (and later, 7Flix & 7Food) saw the channel repositioned towards a narrower demographic.

The 3mbps or so left over can go towards a HD version of “10 More” or whatever name doesn’t breach Nine’s “Extra” trademark. IIRC, Ten HD is something like 5 or 6mbps so having two HD multichannels at/around 4.5 mbps would probably look reasonable enough.

2 Likes

You just contradicted yourself haha.

They don’t have sport or entertainment content for a forth channel.

Tens 4th channel should be a news channel. Obviously, they couldn’t launch it in the current environment, but maybe in the future.

1 Like

They’re the one network I’d love to see launch “10 News 24” etc.

1 Like

That would be great, but they need to beat Nine and Seven in the amount of news produced, then they can go think about a news channel.

At this time they would be better off playing with All Access and promoting the heck out of that as a genuine alternative to the plethora of multichannels.

3 Likes