Tennis

7 Likes

Popyrin went down overnight to Djokovic, but not without a fight, taking the first set fairly comfortably in perhaps a surprise, but losing the next two sets, however the 4th went down to the wire in a tiebreak. Alexei will be kicking himself a little, but should be proud as well.

Best of luck to the Demon tomorrow, now the lone ranger for Australia :green_circle::yellow_circle:

5 Likes

I wish Djokovic wasn’t playing, and I don’t want him to win.I want Sinner or Alcaraz to win instead

1 Like

NZ qualifier Lulu Sun shocked local hope Emma Raducanu in three sets overnight.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/350335192/lulu-sun-hopes-historic-win-wimbledon-will-inspire-other-kiwi-tennis-players

UPDATE 10/7: Sun lost her quarter-final to Croatian Donna Vekic in three sets.

6 Likes

De Minaur out of Wimbledon with a hip injury. Such a shame, was looking forward to a big match against the Joker tonight, was not to be.

8 Likes

It means Djokovic has an easy pass to the semi finals :confused:

3 Likes

Exactly three years after winning the Wimbledon women’s singles title, Ash Barty made a triumphant return to Centre Court today at the All England Club.

The former world No.1 reunited with close friend and former partner Casey Dellacqua to score a 5-7 6-3 [10-7] victory against German Andrea Petkovic and Slovak Magdalena Rybarikova in a women’s invitational doubles match.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Krejčíková held her nerve in a tense final set to claim victory 6-2, 2-6, 6-4, sealing the win with her third championship point.

5 Likes

Here we go! Who have we got? Joker for mine, in a mini upset. Could go the distance though :coffee: :tennis: :sleeping:

2 Likes

Something tells me it will be Alcaraz in three…

4 Likes

Spot on!

Major #4 for the Spainard

6-2, 6-2, 7-6

6 Likes

No Australian winner at Wimbledon this year, with Emerson Jones losing the girls singles final.

4 Likes

Only Roger Federer has managed to win more than his first four Major finals in succession (Wimbledon 2003 - 2006 Australian Open). It took a Spaniard (Nadal) to beat him in a Major final (2006 French Open).

Carlos Alcaraz could complete a golden career Slam at a younger age than Federer was when he won his first Major (21y11m). The Spaniard will be 21y8m by the time next year’s Australian Open begins.

7 Likes

I’m so happy Carlos Alcaraz won his 4th Grand Slam and second Wimbledon crown :+1:
Definitely a changing of the guard in Men’s Tennis :softball:at long last

9 Likes

Agree, it was a dominant display, Djokovic has never been outplayed like that before, not for a long time anyway.

5 Likes

He also just avoided his worst ever defeat in a Major final, his worst being when he won only seven (or so) games against Rafa in the 2020 French Open final.

3 Likes
4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/C-QKfzLsZRp/?igsh=aHZ4YjFyZ2pxNjB4

2 Likes

Well, the Joker got his long-awaited gold :1st_place_medal: That first set was incredible

5 Likes